Portishead lock

portis_rich

Visit site
FYI - Lock out of action again today - suggest if anyone expecting to use portishead for the foreseeable future: a) phone in advance and b) have a backup plan if arriving from the channel. A couple of weeks ago we were sat waiting in the pool for nearly 90 mins due to a gate malfunction. People in bigger boats were starting to get worried about their draught.

Gwylan

Visit site
Do we know what is wrong?

Some very limited choices as low water approaches. The pool is not that big.
What would people do if they needed a plan B?

Gwylan

Visit site
Given the timing that might be a bit of an adventure. Leaving Portishead after HW you get the tide helping you.
But navigation might have to be on the money. And of course all the charts are recently surveyed.
Also you might find yourself pushing against the rising tide to get into Cardiff.

Might make me think twice about Portishead.
Shame because it was my home port for several years.

portis_rich

Visit site
Latest update suggests they know what the problem is (hydraulics) and they are hoping all will be well Thursday. Just in time for the windy and rainy weekend!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Given the timing that might be a bit of an adventure. Leaving Portishead after HW you get the tide helping you.
But navigation might have to be on the money. And of course all the charts are recently surveyed.
Also you might find yourself pushing against the rising tide to get into Cardiff.

Might make me think twice about Portishead.
Shame because it was my home port for several years.
We used to push the tide coming down from Lydney to Barry. No issue pushing the tide Portishead to Cardiff and realistically except at lowest astonomical you can still get into Cardiff at LW. Of course they might not let english boats in etc.

I hope the gate is fixed by Sunday, now my stern gland fixed I want to go to Uphill with a little bob around the islands on the way