portishead docks rally

graham

Visit site
Last time we went was before the Marina was built so cant really comment.We had to Lock back out at 5 AM into a howling South Westerly with hangovers /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LeytonC

Visit site
what are the date of the rally this year? over to damo i think!

(ok, i could look but post them on here for us all to see!)

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Docks Rally scheduled to be Fri 24th - Sunday 26th June this year.

I usually sail off somewhere else to avoid it ( /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), but now I am an employee I'll be on nightshift that w/end /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif . At least I won't have to worry too much about the mayhem in the lock!

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
You may well be right - I lifted the dates from their Member's Handbook in the office.

I'll get a definitive answer ASAP, but I'm on night shift now so it's hard to talk to the relevant people!

LeytonC

Visit site
Re: portishead docks rally - 9/10/11 June

Thanks for letting us know, i might take a run down to that! - if they ever sort out a date!

G

Re: Sharpness

Hello Can I pick your brains pls? I see you are based in Sharpness, I have never turned right out of Avonmouth but would like to!
Any tips or advice would be gratefully recieved! How long does it take to get from Sharpness to Gloucester and from there were can you go?

Cheers

Iain isneddon@clevelandcable.com

LeytonC

Visit site

sorry about delay in answering - not been around much in the last few days, its 18.5 nm to sharpness from avonmouth, requires an amount of local knowledge to get up there, best thing to do is to find someone you know who has done it and go with them / or have them on your boat, its really worth the tirp though.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Just realised I will be duty Berthing Master during the Docks Rally. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, since I've always gone off sailing during that period before!

At least this year noone will be able to pinch all my leccy

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Yes - my first busy weekend! It went well from my point of view - hope it was smooth for the customers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I got out sailing for a couple of days, going out on the free flow after the Sunday shift /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Thanks for that, hope to see you "up river"

Misty Spirit

graham

Visit site

I havent sailed up to Sharpness for several years,in fact the last time there was only one Severn Bridge to go under.

do you know what the locking charges are for visiting boats and also the Canal license for a few days. We are thinking of visiting Sharpness ,Slimbridge and Gloucester later in the summer.

Also is it neccesary to book in advance or just phone on the day?

Jobs_a_ good_ un

www.beneteau393.co.uk

Its £ 20 to lock in and £ 20 to lock out You have to buy a licence from british waterways in glos but they wont let you out the lock at sharpness if you dont have the licence so get before you go
Last time I was there they were asking if I had a bss for the boat so be aware of that
Pm if you need more info i give you a bell
Mark

LeytonC

Visit site

dockers like you to ring the tide before to arrange a ETA, just in case ships are due - dont forget you will need the high level bridge!