Poorest quality for highest price

paul

Visit site
Keeping red might be good for availabilty but it's the worst cost/performance option. White road diesel has more detergent and other additives which make it a better quality fuel with lower emissions. And because it's cleaner it gets an EU tariff concession of 6p a litre - so it's cheaper too! Keeping red means we're filling our boats with the lowest quality fuel in Europe while paying (by some margin) the highest price. And the government's idea of taking an "honest box" approach to users self declaring what proportion is for propulsion versus heating and generator use is rediculous. From now on the only motoring I'll do is to the fuel pontoon to buy diesel for my generator and heating (I'm told we're in for a cold summer!)

Nickcf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And because it's cleaner it gets an EU tariff concession of 6p a litre - so it's cheaper too!

[/ QUOTE ]

..Except in the UK. The tax on white diesel is higher in the Uk than anywhere. The EU only mandate a minimum tax level (around 20p/litre) national governments can set their own levels above this. Not suprisingly this money grabbing lot fleece the motorist.

tamara

www.seagipsy.co.uk
I worked in an industry which purchased millions of litres of red. On speaking to the delivery driver he said there is no difference at all from red to wite fuel. infact he loaded his tanker with fuel and then depending on the customer, would add the required dye. There is no difference, except for tax

adrianm

Visit site
Well if thats true someone had better tell the Goverment because they're charging us more tax because of the higher sulphur content.

Nickcf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well if thats true someone had better tell the Goverment because they're charging us more tax because of the higher sulphur content.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this isn't now true (initially it was the case). The tax on red (for leisure use) and white will be the same (ie still obscene...!)

whisper

Visit site
Very Interesting!!!
Pity that the RYA don't realise this. As far as they are concerned Red is the same as White and as such has to be taxed at the same level in order to comply with EU regulations.
This is as per the latest RYA magazine in which they congratulate themselves for achieving the most sensible compromise /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I'll not rejoin next year - they appear to be a bunch of surrender monkeys and if the above is true they are also thick.

Lotus_John

Visit site
The RYA have a lot to answer for especially because they chose not to fight for the minimum tax required by the EU 21 ppl because some sailing member wrote to the RYA saying we should be charged the full road fuel tax rate. I think we need to let the RYA know how we feel and get them to go back to Government on this issue. I was angry when I read the RYA magazine and have written to them and posted on the RYA forum," boating issues, Red Diesel fiasco" but little support there because mainly sailing members who will be affected to a lesser extent, let them know how you feel.