Poop Deck

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has tried one of those power lances that turn an ordinary hose into a mini power washer. I don't know what I did to offend them, but the local wildlife have ganged up on me this autumn .

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I have one for the verandahs around the house and it is excellent.

But why "Poop Deck"?

Where did they poop on old ships?
In most ships there would be a place at the bow ( front end ) of the ship called the head. This was a hole in the floor to squat over. Faeces would fall directly into the sea below. There were usually two holes one on either side of the bowsprit.30 Sept 2013. AND

"We quote verbatim: “The name originates from the French word for stern, la poupe, from Latin puppis. Thus the poop deck is technically a stern deck, which in sailing ships was usually elevated as the roof of the stern or “after” cabin, also known as the “poop cabin”.8 Feb 2021

neil_s

Visit site
I sympathise. They particularly like my, and my neighbour's, boats. I have spent more time cleaning than sailing over the last month or so. Trouble is I don't have a hose pipe convenient for my swinging mooring! Have been thinking of a deck wash pump, though.

johnalison

Visit site
We are in a prime location for rocs, near the corner of the marina, and are regularly covered. I haven't tried pressure-washing because of my teak deck. I have learned on the whole not to worry too much about it. Removal works best if the guano is thoroughly wetted and then left for ten minutes, when it will usually come of readily. It often leaves a stain on white gelcoat which is impossible to wash out. If left for a week or two the stain just disappears.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I sympathise. They particularly like my, and my neighbour's, boats. I have spent more time cleaning than sailing over the last month or so. Trouble is I don't have a hose pipe convenient for my swinging mooring! Have been thinking of a deck wash pump, though.
Apologies. Please insert "Pooped" for "Poop".:)

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I have one for the verandahs around the house and it is excellent.

But why "Poop Deck"?

Where did they poop on old ships?
In most ships there would be a place at the bow ( front end ) of the ship called the head. This was a hole in the floor to squat over. Faeces would fall directly into the sea below. There were usually two holes one on either side of the bowsprit.30 Sept 2013. AND

"We quote verbatim: “The name originates from the French word for stern, la poupe, from Latin puppis. Thus the poop deck is technically a stern deck, which in sailing ships was usually elevated as the roof of the stern or “after” cabin, also known as the “poop cabin”.8 Feb 2021
Havng recently viisited the replica Eastindiaman at Amsterdam's Maritime Museum, I discovered where the captains latrines were; he had two of them, one each side, outboard of and divided off from the main stern cabin. They were little rooms with windows all round for a great sea view, and a wooden bench seat with a round hole with a wooden lid. The poop dropped through the hole directly into the sea.