Polyphasic Sleep

Noddy

Visit site
Eric has been taliking about sleep in another thread. I thought it was important enough to merit a thread of its own.

In one of my other lives I teach adults A level psychology.

Many of you will be aware that our sleep seems to be in different stages or phases. (1,2,3,4 & REM)

I seem to remember some presenter on the telly carrying out an experiment in Polyphasic Sleep.
I can't remember how it turned out, nor can any of my students.
(probably fell asleep /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). (As they do in my class /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

There seems to be different variants of this; the most extreme being the Uberman Cycle which consists of six 20 - 25 minute sleeps spread throuought the day.

Obviously this is useful for us. Anybody tried it?

Paul

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Studies were made at NASA (John Lauber) at Airbus (JJ Speyer) around long haul pilots. They are published in English.
For racing boats studies have been done for short and single handed races (Dr Chauve). Dr Chauve recommendation cma be found on STW website)
http://www.stw.fr/dt/display_dt.cfm?dt=181

The recomendation I provided are issued from these works.
In addition each individual has an optimum sleep patern and you should try various rythms to find with one is most adapted.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Noddy

Visit site
I have found various bits on the web around minimal sleep patterns.

General stuff on Wikepedia

I keep meaning to try out some of these but I am too lazy and enjoy my bed too much.

But really the main problem is that real life carries on around us. It is hard to adopt a very different sleep pattern from everyone else because of work etc.

It should be easier at sea with fewer distractions.

Paul

lumphammer

Visit site
I found this site interesting, the author went 5.5 months on 6 half hour naps a day and after the initial acclimatisation period had no difficulty in coping with sleeping for 3 hour sleep a day.

The problem I see with the technique is that you have to be very consistent on the times you 'power nap' at otherrwise it throws the whole system out. I'm not sure how well that will work on a boat where emergencies don't appreciate regular timetables.