Polish Navy WW2 service records

pjs100

Visit site
We are researching the service record of my wife's father now deceased who served in the Polish Navy from the outbreak to end of the war. He served on the Dragon which was torpedoed off the Normandy coast and towed onto the Mullberry harbour at Arromanches.

He was reportedly decorated for his part in this action but the medal disappeared along with other stuff to a door knocking 2nd hand dealer when he was older.

We would like to trace his service record and would welcome any advice as to who to approach for this information.
Thanks
JJTOP

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
I would also think the MoD should have some wartime medal records.

I have copied the following from http://www.royal-naval-reserve.co.uk/research.htm

"The Ministry of Defence has an excellent website detailing various addresses www.mod.uk for naval service records, medals etc. relating to both Commissioned officers and Non-commissioned ranks. In both instances the appropriate address, telephone and fax numbers are provided dependent upon the year in which the commissioned officer or non-commissioned rank entered service. Of particular relevance to my research was (for Commissioned officers who entered the service between 1916 and 1950 inclusive, who are either deceased or aged 61, or over):

The Navy Records Centre
Ministry of Defence
Navy Search Room 31
Bourne Avenue
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1RF

Telephone: 0208 573 3831 ext.341/342

Fax: 0208 569 2751

After making your initial enquiry you will receive a standard letter and associated Search Document - Navy Search. The Search Document is straight forward to complete with obviously the more information supplied by yourself about the ex-serviceman the greater the chance of a successful search - so be prepared to do some basic research first. However, make sure that you are entitled to the information. The MoD will only disclose information if the ex-serviceman is alive, to him/her personally, unless the ex-serviceman gives written permission to disclose it to another person. If the ex-serviceman is dead, the information will only be disclosed to the official next-of-kin, starting with the widow/widower, then son/daughter, then grandchild and so on. In my case, I had to request from my father, a written letter of consent requesting the disclosure of the information to me as the grandchild. A photocopy of the Death Certificate is also required. The search fee is £25, payable in advance and is non-refundable. Due to the large number of requests for service records received by this department, response times of 3 to 4 months from receipt of your enquiry should be expected.

In the Microfilm Reading Room of the Public Records Office, Kew are the Navy Lists – cabinets 13-17 inclusive. These books are catalogued by year and contain all Naval personnel by branch - Royal Navy, Royal Naval reserve, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve etc. If you're prepared to spend some time at the PRO, a search through the Navy lists will allow you to derive an overview of the ex-serviceman's service record.

For Royal Navy crew lists, these can be obtained from the following address:

Directorate of Personnel Support (Navy)
Navy Search
TNT Archive Services
Tetron Point
William Nadin Way
Swadlincote
Derbyshire
DE11 0TB"

pjs100

Visit site
Thanks for the helpful replies I've received. I have contacted the Maritime Museum by E and am writing to the MOD as suggested. Any further info on Polish Naval service would be much appreciated.
JJTOP