Pole length

DFL1010

Visit site
J Length is fairly typical. Too long and dip-pole gybing gets fun (I think the V5 IACC boats had detachable forestays for that reason - not recommended).

RJJ

Visit site
How long should a spinacker pole be. Can it be longer than the distance from the mast to the jib tack?
Longer can give you more projected area on both jib and spinnaker - and more importantly, gets them further from the mainsail. For racing, handicapped accordingly.

Longer is more of a PITA to gybe, which may not be an issue for cruising; also more of a PITA to set/stow/store which definitely will.

William_H

Visit site
My spin pole ona 21fter is about 40 cms longer than the distance mast to forestay. When running really shy the polem leans on the forestay and the tack of the spin is then held well ahead of the forestay so yes I would guess for want of better advice pole about 15% longer than mast to forestay. All this on small boat where pole is gybed end for end. For a dip pole on bigger boat pole length would be limited by space available for pole to transition inside the fore triangle. (With mast attach point raised up the mast)
ol'will

andsarkit

Visit site
If the pole is on the larger side it can also be used to pole out the genoa on a run. This can transform a fraught collapsing genoa into nice relaxing stable downwind run. A pole sized for a dip pole gybe will be too short to hold out the genoa far enough for it to set well.

William_H

Visit site
If the pole is on the larger side it can also be used to pole out the genoa on a run. This can transform a fraught collapsing genoa into nice relaxing stable downwind run. A pole sized for a dip pole gybe will be too short to hold out the genoa far enough for it to set well.
Funny my experience is that a spin pole is almost always too long for poling oput a genoa. Can be used but really too long and a shorter whisker pole is better. A jib can be poled out a long way to catch more wind but a shorter pole will tame the jib making it steady. ol'will

Ink

Visit site
"Ol Will" often turns up in posts. Seems popular with forumites :rolleyes:. Can someone tell me who he is & if he is available for crewing please, cos I have never met the bloke?

Ol' Will has been on here posting for many years. Just because you hadn't met him doesn't mean to say he doesn't exist.
He might be asking the same question about you.

Ink

reeac

Visit site
When I wanted to make a whisker pole for my prewar dayboat I consulted the internet and the suggestion was 1.1J. Made it by planing down a rather too hefty spinnacker pole to create a lightly tapered octagonal section pole, retaining the bronze mast fitting, and found it to be ideal.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Funny my experience is that a spin pole is almost always too long for poling oput a genoa. Can be used but really too long and a shorter whisker pole is better. A jib can be poled out a long way to catch more wind but a shorter pole will tame the jib making it steady. ol'will

Wow, I'm glad we didn't know that when we crossed perhaps half of the Atlantic and 2/3 of the Pacific oceans using long (J1.15 & J1.1) spinnaker poles to hold out our genoa/jib/both headsails. :oops:

Bilgediver

Visit site
"Ol Will" often turns up in posts. Seems popular with forumites :rolleyes:. Can someone tell me who he is & if he is available for crewing please, cos I have never met the bloke?

Pay his business class Perth Australia to Perth UK and who knows. Mind you even our summer will be a bit cool for him. Might have to buy him thermals and have a good supply of Aussie beer without ice.. :):LOL:

William_H

Visit site
Yes I love UK no you don't have to pay airfare but with no covid in West Oz getting back in (home) is almost impossible even with permits and 2 weeks hotel quarantine. Last weekend saw first race of 21/22 season after relaunch little boat from winter art home. Sadly I fear if I came to UK boating would be bottom of listt. I have become acclimatised when sailing to never wearing anything on feet and never needing wet weather gear. No not a beer lover. But won't sail if there is any rain about. Got to say looking at UK weather over last 4 months ours is similar often warmer. But then days are shorter being winter.
Re first sail. it was a bit of a disaster. With new paint on keel bottom managed to run aground twice. Or river is usually clear enopugh to see the bottomn before it is too shallow. Winter rains have made it a very brown colour. Wind was so light I did not believe for some time that the mud had grabbed us. Club season opening day Sunday week. Then look out. Yes I have pulled out the spinnacker again. ol'will