Plymouth to Arran(Scotland) and back in last two weeks of sept 2020 , best anchorages en route.

gertha

Visit site
Thanks for everyone’s input, a few helpful pointers.
There are a few places to stop that have been mentioned that are hard to identify on a chart.
Appologies for an early post questioning tidal gates, I now realise that relative sailing experience and where you are used to sailing effects your judgment on there importance.

Spyro

Visit site
I wouldn't miss out Portpatrick, once at Arran Lamlash is very sheltered in most conditions. Brodick is sheltered in anything that doesn't have east in it. I'd avoid the west side of Arran for stopping but sailing in Kilbrannan sound is beautiful.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I wouldn't miss out Portpatrick, once at Arran Lamlash is very sheltered in most conditions. Brodick is sheltered in anything that doesn't have east in it. I'd avoid the west side of Arran for stopping but sailing in Kilbrannan sound is beautiful.
Portpatrick is nice, but the entrance is horrible in a significant westerly. On the other hand, if that's the case it's easy enough to head up the other side of the North Channel and go into Donaghadee, Bangor or Glenarm instead.

In Kilbrannan Sound both Pirnmill and Blackwaterfoot have visitor moorings, but I wouldn't fancy them with much from the south or the north. Carradale has moorings to and is better sheltered from the south, but there is a lot of fishing traffic into and out of the harbour, so it's a bit noisy. I like the bustle there.

Quandary

Visit site
Even if he is going up Kilbrannan Sound rather than heading for Pladda there is absolutely no point in going anywhere near Glenarm, it is miles north of his route, it is dubious that it is even a help heading to Gigha. Of course if you are just cruising around there is shelter and a pub there.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Even if he is going up Kilbrannan Sound rather than heading for Pladda there is absolutely no point in going anywhere near Glenarm, it is miles north of his route, it is dubious that it is even a help heading to Gigha. Of course if you are just cruising around there is shelter and a pub there.
West of his route if he is heading for the Clyde, surely? And not much of a detour if Portpatrick isn't an option, though I would always prefer Bangor myself.

Quandary

Visit site
After 45 years of passages from Larne, then Belfast Lough to the West Coast and the Clyde, (Scottish series. WHYW, +summer cruising), I can state with some certainty that Glenarm is not on the route to Scotland, except as a refuge from weather or tide. Not to say we never called there, particularly if opting for Port Ellen or Sound of Islay.
Carrickfergus to Campbeltown, keeping east of Sanda is only five hours, you can have 2-3 kts pushing you all the way to the Patterson Rock and more than a knot in Killbrannan Sound. going via Glenarm is about 7 and you need to negotiate the tides in Sanda sound. To Gigha it only adds about an hour or so to the passage time, some of that is because you are crossing the strongest tide at almost 90 degrees as it begins to turn to head west.
The Campbeltown Sailing Club used to advise going to Bangor via Sanda Sound which may have confused some folk, they used to share competitions and hospitality with Cushendall a couple of times a year which probably accounts for it, any point from Larne north, the Sound is more direct.
Draw a line from Black Head to Davaar or the Iron Ledges, even without looking at the tide direction it is quicker to leave Sanda to port.
RUYC used to like to send us on the overnight Portpatrick Race via the Iron Ledges, guanteed a thirst by the time you finished.
Of course the OP will probably have a foul tide, but he still will not benefit from keeping West.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
After 45 years of passages from Larne, then Belfast Lough to the West Coast and the Clyde, (Scottish series. WHYW, +summer cruising), I can state with some certainty that Glenarm is not on the route to Scotland, except as a refuge from weather or tide.
All good advice, but the OP isn't proposing to go from Belfast Lough to Scotland. Portpatrick isn't on his way either, but if he wants to shelter or rest any port on either side would do.

Mud Lark

Visit site
Last time I checked it was ok to anchor in Isle of Man harbours, just don't go ashore.

Portpatrick is lovely except in strong westerlies when the entrance is dangerous to the point where it's not safe to leave. A seasick inducing, topside wrecking swell also gets into the harbour in these conditions. That's why the lifeboat is strung out on warps in the middle of the harbour.

We used to like Carnlough but it's badly silted now. In a westerly best anchorages probably Larne or Bangor.

GTom

Visit site
Last time I checked it was ok to anchor in Isle of Man harbours, just don't go ashore.

Portpatrick is lovely except in strong westerlies when the entrance is dangerous to the point where it's not safe to leave. A seasick inducing, topside wrecking swell also gets into the harbour in these conditions. That's why the lifeboat is strung out on warps in the middle of the harbour.

We used to like Carnlough but it's badly silted now. In a westerly best anchorages probably Larne or Bangor.
I remember reading that somewhere too, but NM's were updated and I can't see previous versions. Should be checked with one of the harbor masters: Isle of Man Government - Harbours

Spyro

Visit site
All good advice, but the OP isn't proposing to go from Belfast Lough to Scotland. Portpatrick isn't on his way either, but if he wants to shelter or rest any port on either side would do.
He's going from down south to the Clyde how us Portpatrick not on his way ?

GTom

Visit site

What about the Copelands instead of Portpatrick/Bangor? Few miles shorter than going into Belfast Loch. Obviously not much use in Southeasterlies...

Birdseye

Visit site
The Isle of Man may be closed but surely they would let you anchor/pick up a buoy in Peel outer Harbour for a rest?

Interesting question. Its countries that have 12 mile limits and the IoM isnt a country. So who has legal control over its offshore waters? Presumably the UK so the IoM rules would apply to landing or the marina and harbour but would they apply to anchoring off the coast? Foir that matter would they come out to tell you off if you did?

Having done the OPs trip albeit some years ago, the only tidal gate I can think of mattering is the inshore passage round Lands End. We did the trip in 2 with a stop in the IoM. Covid rules being what they are I would be inclined to anchor off Milford if a break was necessaryu but do the Irish sea in one. Its always easier to keep going than to repeatedly stop and restart

grandpaboat

Visit site
Many years ago the front cover of Yachting Monthly carried a dramatic photo of a yacht motoring out of Portpatrick Harbour. The wave's where crashing on the rocks either side of the narrow entrance going above the height of the mast. I exclaimed 'well you wouldn't catch me doing that' to which my kids responded 'no you would have the sails up dad'.
The following month in the letters section someone wrote what idiot would set out in conditions like that. YM response was - we believe it's the Cox of the local lifeboat.
Having said that I rarely miss a stopover under the right conditions on passage between the Irish Sea and Clyde. It can be all calm and serenity once in that small stone walled harbour after leaving a stourie North Channel.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Interesting question. Its countries that have 12 mile limits and the IoM isnt a country. So who has legal control over its offshore waters? Presumably the UK so the IoM rules would apply to landing or the marina and harbour but would they apply to anchoring off the coast?

bl5UhtY.png

Isle of Man Government - Territorial Seas