Plymouth to Arran(Scotland) and back in last two weeks of sept 2020 , best anchorages en route.

gertha

Visit site
The on going challenge of sailing and the coco virus.
We are English in a UK Reg boat.
My plan is a quick blast up and down the Irish Sea, Devon to Scotland and back In the next two weeks.
Sailing overnight or in force 8 with or without news is not a worry for me.
Finding a few places to stop is the challenge, we are 2.5 by 14 meters , modern classic ex racer.
Eire is closed, Manx is closed.
Can any one tell me is Northern Ireland open?
Any good anchorages between Plymouth and Arran as my loose plan is sail there and back with a few overnight stops.
I prefer off shore sailing to short day passages.
Would prefer 2 days sailing and 2 days anchor at a classic spot.

mbroom

Visit site
If you plan Devon to Scotland return in 2 weeks with a 2 day stop every 2 days of sailing, you will be sorely disappointed. Start by checking the relevant tidal gates...

adwuk

Visit site
Non stop, Plymouth from/to the Clyde is 3 days each way. Get the first tidal gate right and then just accept what comes after that. If you are going to stop along the way, perhaps Helford or the Scillies, but otherwise just crack on and get the Irish Sea over with.

gertha

Visit site
I like sailing.
if the sea and sky are grey, so be it.. If it s cold on the boat it will be better than warm at work.
No interest in exposed anchorage, just hoped there was something on route I did not know about.
Looks like 3 days sailing and 8 days off followed by 3 days sailing.

Where are the mystery tidal gates on this streach of water?
if I am sailing for 2 days , how am I meant to clear at the correct time?

mbroom

Visit site
I like sailing.
if the sea and sky are grey, so be it.. If it s cold on the boat it will be better than warm at work.
No interest in exposed anchorage, just hoped there was something on route I did not know about.
Looks like 3 days sailing and 8 days off followed by 3 days sailing.

Where are the mystery tidal gates on this streach of water?
if I am sailing for 2 days , how am I meant to clear at the correct time?
No mystery, just look at any almanac or chart. But,no offence intended... If you have to ask this basic question, I would suggest that you are not ready for this passage.

RupertW

Visit site
No mystery, just look at any almanac or chart. But,no offence intended... If you have to ask this basic question, I would suggest that you are not ready for this passage.
Indeed - tidal gates are fantastically helpful or stop you dead and the only way to plan is to map them out. We have often changed the start date of longer distance coastal cruises by a week or three to get the best gate/daylight/harbour entrance combination.

dunedin

Visit site
To answer one of your questions, as far as I know there are currently no restrictions on anchorages / marinas in Northern Ireland - but like everything else, things could change fast (some new restrictions on certain Belfast post codes, for example, today).

Some lovely anchorages in Strangford Lough - but would take time, and good timing for the very strong tides, to get in and out. Apparently also decent anchorages amongst the islands off Belfast Lough etc. But if headed for Arran, by the time you have reached NI you might as well keep going towards Lamlash or Loch Ranza on Arran. And lots of great anchorages all round the Clyde, or West of the Mull if you have time.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Nice anchorage at East Tarbet, just north (well, west, really) of the Mull of Galloway.

xFfkqY6.png

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Indeed - tidal gates are fantastically helpful or stop you dead and the only way to plan is to map them out. We have often changed the start date of longer distance coastal cruises by a week or three to get the best gate/daylight/harbour entrance combination.
Perhaps, but s/he's hardly going to time her/his departure from Plymouth for tides through the North Channel.

mrangry

Visit site
I sailed up to the Clyde from Wales the other week and I have to admit I underestimated the tidal flow at the Mull of Galloway. At 2am with wind on the nose against a foul tide in pissing rain realised we werent moving. That was a slog I do not wish to repeat.

RupertW

Visit site
That seems to be just what they are doing. Still doesn't make it easy to time trips to the hour days in advance.
For a trip that quick you know what the weather will be all the way as well as the tide times, and hopefully you will know your boats approximate speed reaching, running, beating. Put all that together and I agree the plan will get less and less accurate as you go. But at least you have a Plan A, with “If I miss this gate then the rest of timings look like this etc. But perhaps I over plan and I certainly wouldn’t normally do that sort of trip for pleasure. The only decent direction from Plymouth for me is South.

Fascadale

Visit site
Here’s a couple of anchorages along your route, Dale in Milford Haven, Loch Ryan, but as others have said tides, rain, wind, tides, rain wind............I’d be more tempted to sail from Plymouth south

jdc

Visit site
The only tidal gate going N is really the Liard / Land's End one - 9 hours favourable tide will get you past Land's End (actually Longships) provided you get past the Lizard at a good time. From Plymouth maybe best to set off early and anchor for a few hours or a short night near the Lizard, for instance Church Cove. Coming back you just have to lump it. Slow from Runnel stone to Lizard is normal enough!

From Longships to Ireland is about 24 hrs so we rather often set off from Lizard in the early morning and pass Tusker around mid-mrning the next day. Thus carry on until dusk when you've a choice between inshore of the banks off Ireland but loads of small pots so worrying after dark or well offshore and just bash on. With two of us we often anchor off the Irish coast somewhere near Arklow but not actually going in (you're not allowed to at the moment, but that's no loss, it's a dump with raw sewage in the river). Carry on at first light. if 4 of us we just bash on outside the banks. In NI, Bangor, or the bay just E of it make a reasonable stop, but I advise not going ashore. Anchorages on this passage are about a tiny rest and awaiting a favourable tide. I think you can anchor off Ireland even with Covid.

We always take 72 hours from Falmouth to Troon or a mite longer to Gigha. Thus maybe 80 seems about right for Plymouth to Lamlash. Done it loads of times and while the point at which it's slow varies it all seems to even out in the end.

PS: I've always fancied anchoring off the Mull of Galloway, but somehow it's not on the direct route and we've always just plugged on; passing South Rock rather close is the direct route so Galloway is some way east.

Last edited: