Plumbelly of Bequia

Bajansailor

Visit site
Doe anybody on here remember seeing Plumbelly in Bequia - or on her various jaunts around the world and across the Atlantic?

Here is a nice article about her - ok, it was written 10 years ago (I just came across it on Facebook) , but it is a good incentive for folk to go sailing without all the modern day conveniences which many folk think we need to have.

The Legend of Plumbelly - Wave Train

The photo below shows her sailing nicely in Admiralty Bay, Bequia, where she was built in the 60's.
Plumbelly.jpg

Bajansailor

Visit site
I googled Plumbelly, and lots of interesting links came up - here are a few :

A Home | Bequia Stories

Bequia Beauty

https://www.boats.com/the-legend-of-plumbelly/

And Google also brings up lots of interesting stories about Paul Johnson and Venus - here is a 28' Venus for sale.
https://woodenships.co.uk/sailing-yacht/colin-archer-type-venus-cutter/
I met his parents in July 1989 - an amazing couple. They must have been well into their 90's then, but they were still living on their Colin Archer 'Escape' in the Moodys marina at Bursledon.

Kindred Spirit

Visit site
I saw Plumbelly in Bequia back in 2009. It's been the last time she's been there. Patrick DiLalla owned her at the time and was heading back to Maine to sell her. She was sold to someone who took here to Nova Scotia. A couple of years later in 2013 she was for sale again. I wanted to buy her and bring her back to Bequia and offer her to youth sailors on Bequia to sail the islands. Just missed out as the owner had accepted an offer the day before. She is still in the Canadian Maritimes.... Here is a photo of her last time in Bequia. Plumbelly in Bequia.jpg

Wansworth

Visit site
I googled Plumbelly, and lots of interesting links came up - here are a few :

A Home | Bequia Stories

Bequia Beauty

THE LEGEND OF PLUMBELLY - boats.com

And Google also brings up lots of interesting stories about Paul Johnson and Venus - here is a 28' Venus for sale.
Colin Archer Type Venus Cutter - Wooden Ships
I met his parents in July 1989 - an amazing couple. They must have been well into their 90's then, but they were still living on their Colin Archer 'Escape' in the Moodys marina at Bursledon.
Meta couple who had one built in Falmouth in foam sandwich by the builder of the cuttyhunk builder back in 1971,used to be my favorite dream and had the article all about Paul Johnston’s building Venus....

srm

Visit site
Along the same lines are the Tahiti ketch and the steel version, Tahitiana, drawn by Weston Farmer and described by him as 'a poor man's boat'.
Way back in the 80's a young Shetlander, Andrew Halcrow built a Tahitiana and undertook some serious voyages with her. Some details here if you are interested:

Elsi Arrub

Sadly, he lost her off the west coast of Chile a few years ago but was himself rescued.

banger

Visit site
That brought back memories, I was very interested in buying one, 1980 I think, chap in Bristol was building them and I went down and had a look, got as far as going into costings and delivery dates, but then things got tight and it was put into the "one day"
file, I must have the plans and paperwork somewhere, need to have a turnout so will keep an eye out for them.

Wansworth

Visit site
That brought back memories, I was very interested in buying one, 1980 I think, chap in Bristol was building them and I went down and had a look, got as far as going into costings and delivery dates, but then things got tight and it was put into the "one day"
file, I must have the plans and paperwork somewhere, need to have a turnout so will keep an eye out for them.
Yes it was Bristol

Promper

Visit site

Blueboatman

Visit site
So many thought out details .

I love the simple auxiliary mount on the quarter.
And trim tab self steering
And the canvas companionway set up.

Always loved double enders with bulwarks -and that long tiller!
Fab photos , thank you !