Please help Stihl BG55 Leaf Blower

Ribtecer

Visit site
His guys

Hope this is the right please to get some advice, not a boat but it is a small two stroke engine.

My Stihl BG55 leaf blower has offered fantastic service for many years, however this week I got it out and it started no problem but it only runs for about 15 seconds and then it dies and is a pig to get it started again, and then again it dies after about approximately 15 seconds.

It's the same fuel that I used all day on Monday with my Stihl hedge cutters with no problems, I've had the carb off and cleaned it out twice with carb cleaner, I've checked the tank breather and tried it with the fuel cap loose. I've checked the fuel filter on the pick up pipe in the fuel tank. I've have the plug out.

I've tried a Google search but it came up with not much help really, so I hoping one of you fine fellows may be able to help.

I have found a new carb plug etc on Ebay, but it won't arrive for a couple of weeks and I have a mess to clear up now.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

Toby

sarabande

Visit site
Perhaps the fuel tank has crud in it and is blocking the inline filter after a few seconds ? Huskies have a plastic filter at the entrance to the fuel pipe in the tank.

Ribtecer

Visit site
Thank you for your response.

It does have a filter in the tank on the fuel line which I can blow thru. The tank would appear to be spotless.

pvb

Visit site
Have you checked the air filter? One of my petrol Stihl machines misbehaved until I replaced the air filter. I've got rid of the petrol Stihl machines now and have gone Stihl cordless - I'd thoroughly recommend it to you.

Ribtecer

Visit site
In all my testing in the last couple of days, as it's not been dusty work just on the bench, I've been running it without the air filter for that reason.

There's must something I'm missing.

pvb

Visit site
In all my testing in the last couple of days, as it's not been dusty work just on the bench, I've been running it without the air filter for that reason.

There's must something I'm missing.

Isn't it designed to operate with an air filter in place?

Ribtecer

Visit site
Is it producing a decent spark? I had to replace the ignition module on one of my petrol Stihl machines.
I don't know, it could be that, but the fact the plug is bone dry I've been thinking its fuel starvation.

How can you check the ignition module? I have checked the spark on the plug and it looks ok

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I don't know, it could be that, but the fact the plug is bone dry I've been thinking its fuel starvation.

How can you check the ignition module? I have checked the spark on the plug and it looks ok
It's a long time since I assisted with outboard maintenance (with it mounted on the boarding plank across the cockpit and prop in a bucket of water).

But I haven't seen mention of float chamber and needle valve. Is there one and has it been checked? A full float chamber will run an engine for a few seconds but if it does not refill because the valve is blocked stopping is inevitable...

Ribtecer

Visit site
It's a long time since I assisted with outboard maintenance (with it mounted on the boarding plank across the cockpit and prop in a bucket of water).

But I haven't seen mention of float chamber and needle valve. Is there one and has it been checked? A full float chamber will run an engine for a few seconds but if it does not refill because the valve is blocked stopping is inevitable...
It doesn't appear to have a float chamber but it does have a kind of needle valve arrangement that seemed to be operating as it should. I must say I was expecting to find a float chamber and I'm unsure exactly how it works.

Thank you for everyone's involvement so far.

This is the link to a picture of the carburetor

Carburetor For Stihl BG45 BG46 BG55 BG65 BR45C SH55 SH85 Blower 42291200606 Carb | eBay

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
It doesn't appear to have a float chamber but it does have a kind of needle valve arrangement that seemed to be operating as it should. I must say I was expecting to find a float chamber and I'm unsure exactly how it works.

Thank you for everyone's involvement so far.

This is the link to a picture of the carburetor

Carburetor For Stihl BG45 BG46 BG55 BG65 BR45C SH55 SH85 Blower 42291200606 Carb | eBay
Maybe a float chamber is too sensitive to gravity for a device mean to to be waved about. But I don't know what the alternative is...

andsarkit

Visit site
My Stihl hedge trimmer developed the same problem which was not solved by cleaning the carb. Instead of a float chamber it has a complicated series of diaphragms and valves that enable it to run in any orientation but the rubber seems to deteriorate after a while. A new Zama (same as original) carburetter from China immediately fixed it. I've got a service kit for the old carburetter so I can have it ready for when it happens again. For only £15 it's the easiest way to go.