Plastic classics?

V1701

Visit site

Tranona

Visit site
An S&S 34 is a cult boat - like a CO32 on steroids, both in terms of performance and the passion it creates amongst the believers. Given that a newly refurbished CO 32s cost far more than this suggests this boat is a bargain.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I sailed with a pal on his S & S 34 'Morning Flight' from St Maarten up to New England via Bermuda in 1995, and I thought she was a lovely boat.
The mainsheet was on the end of the boom, so had good purchase, yet it came down to a track on the bridgedeck, allowing a full bimini awning over the cockpit which was most appreciated, as we took 11 days to get to Bermuda (900 miles of very light winds, and we only had 10 gallons of diesel).
She had a Monitor wind vane, and it never had to work very hard, even in stronger winds between Bermuda and Newport, as she was so well balanced all the time. When the wind picked up she would just dig her shoulder in and tromp along happily - she was an absolute joy to steer.
Yes, the galley is tiny compared to a modern yacht, similarly the forecabin which just had a pair of pipe cots.
The engine was in the middle of the saloon (in a box) - excellent access for maintenance, and it's weight was over the keel.
Another pal sailed his 34 'Scalpay' around the world happily in the 90's without fanfare. She was a regular at Antigua Sailing Week and the Bequia Easter regatta, and usually gave a good account of herself.

Last edited:

halcyon

Visit site
Struck me today whlist giving Halcyon Dreams a pre winter polish, what makes it stand out to other plastic yachts around is the wine glass hull profile.

Brian

Birdseye

Visit site
I love a wooden boat, and you might rightly say nothing comes close in terms of character, however I think it’s fair to say that grp boats like the Contessa 26 and 32 are now considered to be classics.

I walked past a nice Holman & Pye Hustler 30 earlier and thought “definitely a classic yacht”.

I’ve can see a tidy Contessa 33 berthed opposite me right now, and although it’s from a more recent era, I’m pretty sure it’s a future classic.

Obviously with such a huge range of grp boats produced, and a limited market for them, they can’t all achieve classic status.

Are there any particular fibreglass yachts you think will be respected or sought after in years to come?
Starlight 35, is an absolutely superb boat and judging from the experience of selling mine, its pretty well sought after already