Plastic classics?

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Something turns into a classic when it becomes a vehicle of romantic yearning. It can be quite literally any kind of object, cars, boats, trains planes anything. It even has very little to do with the objects original quality or desirability or eben past or present performance, but simply with the emotional connection someone personally has to it. In this context, anyone may call his or her particular fancy a classic and be quite correct about it. For them.

It just happens, quite often, that people, sometimes of an age,but not always, share the same yearning.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
The Contessa 26/is often quoted, but the Invicta 26 designed by Van de Stadt and built by Taylor's is very similar and another Folkboat derivative.

Poignard

Visit site
A wooden Folkboat is a classic (of course), but should a GRP Folkboat, such as a Marieholm qualify also?
The Contessa 26 hull was moulded from a Folkboat, and I'd agree that it's a classic, but the Marieholm too?
This raises the question of what makes a yacht, or anything else for that matter, a "classic".

Its appearance or the materials from which it is constructed?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Good design makes a classic; I'd say the Sigma 33 is/was a classic, from a large field of late 70s IOR cruiser/racers it was a resounding success, sold in quantity and there's still an active OD fleet.
Prolific yes, but classic? They are rather ordinary looking.

doug748

Visit site

Are there any particular fibreglass yachts you think will be respected or sought after in years to come?

Many of the boats mentioned are already Classics in the sense that:

1 You rarely see cheap ones or if you do they are virtual wrecks.
2 There is no shortage of people who want them and are willing to lavish time on them.
3 Prices are buoyant and well above what you might expect of similar boats

Typical example, I don't think mentioned so far, is the She 36, lovely boat:

1627639084524.png

Dodgy and expensive constructional repair will be the key barrier to future Classics, from the present crop. Sadler Starlights might do it, or one or two of the Elan range or the more cruise - able J Classes, maybe the early Jeanneau deck saloons...........
would be my punt.

TiggerToo

Visit site
Well, Tigger Too is a Classic. A true Classic. No one is allowed to argue with that.
It's her trademark.

A Dufour Classic. There's a whole range of them...;)

And, yes, she is made of plastic. Isophthalic, I think

Blueboatman

Visit site
Yeah but..
The She features in an Aznavour song title
AND a 1965 movie title iirc

We await Buck Rogers and the Buckler?