Plans for a Poole canoe

BarryH

Visit site
I hunted everywhere for a set for a Poole Canoe. Basically a local flat bottomed fishing boat. Goggle gives no results and the normal boat building web rings have nothing.

Any ideas?

Tranona

Visit site
Built mainly by eye! There was at one time a set of hull lines taken off a successful boat (around 1980) with a view to making them in GRP but failed to get going.

If you look closely you will see individual variations in deadrise, rocker and size/position of engine well. For those interested in ancient history Mr Weyhope, owner of British Seagull until he died in the early 60's was the expert. Renowned duck hunter with traditional style punt gun - example in the museum at Corfe. Always building boats with slight variations aimed at getting maximum speed from his caravan on the edge of Holes Bay (behind the Seagull works) to the duck hunting grounds south of Arne using a Seagull 102. Usually accompanied by his Labs which retrieved the booty that he had blasted to pieces!

Happy days!

Will_M

Visit site
ditto the below..

[ QUOTE ]
talk with james sydenham at saltern Marina as they do fibreglass poole canoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

neil_s

Visit site
PBO did an article on building one, with a simple drawing. Unfortunately all my back issues are in the loft at the moment and I can't sort through them for you. Try phoning their copy service.

There is one in our local boatyard, as it happens (Well, a Chi canoe)

Neil

BarryH

Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. Gives me something to work on. I was wondering if I could take rough measurements from one of the boats around by Baiter and wether the owner would mind, I didn't want to just go and measure one without permission.

I've looked at a few of the designs from Selway and Bolger before with a view to adapting them. A set of plans for a Poole Canoe would be a lot less hassle and cheaper probably, in the long run.