plans as at tues 5th april

tcm

Visit site
ok, a cold front whams down from the NW through england starting thurday, worst on friday, with saturday looking better tho still northerly, and high pressure building sunday. Following sea most/all the way down the atlantic is probably not too bad tho.

A reasonable plan would be to tootle along the south coast in the flattish seas with northerly on saturday at least to plymouth and possibly falmouth ready for a run directly over to la coruna sunday and sunday night.

Ross (no1 moose) will hopefully be able to give distances soton-plymouth-la coruna and soton - falmouth - la coruna so we can see what the distances look like. Also we can go with tide down channel, so when are the times for nice downchannel ebbs on saturday eh?

I will be on board by friday am latest.

If some (tico?) want to join the boat saturday, then it *might* be enroute to plymouth/falmouth as we may want to get fuel before closing time in plymouth or falmouth on the saturday, ready for anytime leaving on Sunday - otherwise its perhaps 2 hours to fill up on sunday morning in plymouth (or falmouth). 400ish miles to la coruna should be arrivable 22 hours later early monday morning for 3 hour fillup.

Another question for Ross's magic computery thing then - what are the tides doing in la coruna on Monday if we have to use the tidal fuel pontoon?

tcm

Visit site
what to bring

um, i think i am ok toolywise, really. passport + sleeping bag are "must haves". the boat is MCA coded so I have loads of safety gear like lifejackets, more lifejackets, liferafts, spare liferafts. Make sure you can take back anything you bring as carry-on luggage on aeroplane.

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
Re: what to bring

ok passport and sleeping bag sorted......hmm, carry on luggage, how big is that these days my sleeping bag alone will fill a day sack! Maybe I need to buy a tiddly one as I need room for clothes!

tcm

Visit site

er well up to you. I plan to be able to walk on with handbaggage on the return flight- hence the caution to tico who seemed to plan to bring various tools which wd have to be in the hold. But if you're ok to have massive loads of luggage and wait for carousels, bring what yer want. er, exactly how many clothes do you need?

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk

Haven't you heard about my shoes?

<joke> jus making sure, towels and sleeping bags take up a lot of space.

Will you be down Friday at the boat if yes we'll shout and wave as we go past on our sea trial

tcm

Visit site
20 knots

yep. on the long run especially, to start with, no more. 1650 is the ideal but the new dcontrols ain't happy there. I spose we oughta test consumption with new engine etc on the first run at that speed too - and if in doubt, go into Camaret. Tho i think 430 is doable, downwind.

Later, if head to wind a touch less than 20 knots crashity bangwise, but we may be ok. Otherwise on shorte runs if rushing for pubs/restaurants, 26ish.

No1_Moose

Visit site
Re: 20 knots

Plymouth-La Coruna via Ushant TSS which gets in the way is 456 miles or 22hrs30m.
Falmouth-La Coruna via Ushant TSS is 437 or 21hrs30mins.
According to the fuel planner whatsit thats 6300 litres of fuel.

Needles Fairway to Plymouth Breakwater is 110 miles or 5hrs40m.
Needles Fairway to Falmouth entrance is 140 miles or 7hrs15m.

tcm

Visit site
6300 litres

now how are you working that out? I am 500 litres short on absolute as per guage5800, and 1000 short on safety levels.

Unless you say otherwise, Brets/camaret beckons...

tcm

Visit site
1 litre/mile

not sure we ever managed that. add 15%, but that was against the sea. 430nm gives 5100litres plus 700 for safety. Go plymouthfalmouth and we'll decide whether to go direct or splashndash at camaret, same diff timewise really. x-channel is a not nice on sat with n'lies. Or of course, wait til later - but the westerly comes in....