Planning for next season.

Denek

Visit site
We are trying to be optimistic about next season and started to look at an extended summer cruise down to the West Country.
looks like a couple of longish hops To start with from Levington and then shorter ones as you get further south. We will, I think look for a marina we can stop of for a month or so, so that friends and family can come for day sails and then move on. Anyone got any advice on stop offs and marinas or anchorages to avoid or recommend. Or any other places of interest etc. We will be in no hurry and hope, Covid permitting to make a summer of it.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

johnalison

Visit site
I haven't been down that way for five years or so, but it can be a great trip, so long as you remember that you are leaving the driest part of the country. Don't be put off visiting the Solent. It really is quite nice, and places such as Yarmouth do 'normal' prices on weekdays. There a number of relatively cheap stopovers if you do a bit of research as well. There is plenty to see in Weymouth, though have lately preferred to go into the marina rather than muck in on the Town moorings. You can take a bus to Portland Bill if you wish.

In the West Country proper, most places are very scenic and consequently popular. Entering Dartmouth is quite an experience. We have mostly used the Town jetty or the pontoon just off and dinghied in. Note that the berths inside the Town jetty are not all the same price, being cheaper at the entrance, for no obvious reason. Visits can include some lovely walks or the Brittannia Naval College. On one occasion we stayed in the Dart Marina for a week while our family stayed in Brixham and came to us for day sails and hospitality (ie parents paid).

Salcombe is a madhouse but great fun provided you just pretend you are in a foreign country. The Yealm is attractive but can get even more crowded and thinks itself a bit poash. Fowey is my favourite of all, for the scenery, walks, food and beer. If you are not planning to sail into Mevagissey, there is a regular boat for day trips. The Eden project and the Gardens of Heligan are also worth visiting, easy enough by bus. There are water taxis should you wish to make this a base for visitors. Bad weather can apoil your day or night, when it can be necessary to escape to Mixto Pil.

Falmouth can look a bit offputting but it is a pleasant town. We have usually stayed at the Town marina, but mid-river pontoons up the Fal, or anchoring, can be relaxing and peaceful. The town art gallery is worth a visit, and Pendennis Castle dates from Elizabeth to the 20thC and is walkable or busable from the town. Penzance may be further than you want to go, unless you also plan to visit the Isles of Scilly. I have only been to the isles a couple of times, but it is something I wouldn't have wanted to miss.

pvb

Visit site
johnalison's post is spot on, I've similarly enjoyed those West Country places.

As for stop-offs, etc, a first hop from Levington to say Ramsgate is easy enough. Then a hop to Eastbourne perhaps, Sovereign Harbour is welcoming and very safe; it's a great walk along the seafront into town, although there are restaurants and a big Asda on the doorstep. A short hop to Brighton is worthwhile if you like people-watching. The marina has loads of restaurants, and a big Asda, plus a great bus service into town, where The Lanes and North Lanes are always interesting to explore (as well as a walk on the pier!). After that, Portsmouth is worth a stop, I quite like Haslar Marina, which is a short walk from the ferry to Portsmouth, and is also close the Submarine Museum which is well worth a visit.

After Portsmouth, I tend to go to Weymouth, which still has an olde-worlde charm in places - the marina there is well-run. After that, I've tended to head straight for Brixham or Torquay. Torquay is a bit nicer on balance. Dartmouth is well worth a visit; as johnalison said the Town Jetty is good, or the Dart Marina opposite is decent and you can get on the steam train there. There are some lovely moorings further up the Dart, and you can take your dinghy up to one or two nice secluded pubs.

Salcombe is a must, even though it's overpriced and manic! I've always thought the Yealm was a bit underwhelming. Plymouth is worth a stop, lots of places to stay.

Next, Fowey is well worth a visit. Stunning harbour views. Helpful people. After that, Falmouth is lovely; nice little town, the Town Marina is convenient and it's an easy walk to the castle.

If you want to stay somewhere for an extended period for friends and family to visit, I'd suggest Eastbourne, Weymouth, maybe Torquay.

Hadenough

Visit site
We are trying to be optimistic about next season and started to look at an extended summer cruise down to the West Country.
looks like a couple of longish hops To start with from Levington and then shorter ones as you get further south. We will, I think look for a marina we can stop of for a month or so, so that friends and family can come for day sails and then move on. Anyone got any advice on stop offs and marinas or anchorages to avoid or recommend. Or any other places of interest etc. We will be in no hurry and hope, Covid permitting to make a summer of it.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

With respect to the other replies, beware of out of date advice. We passaged west to east from Portland to the Orwell this August Returning from South Brittany. Weymouth was not accepting visitors. Littlehampton and Shoreham were closed “except for emergencies” . The Solent Marinas were expecting you to book 48hrs in advance, some demanding an up front, non returnable payment. Newtown Creek was full and I mean full, no space to even anchor - midweek. Dover just about had room for us and told us that they had never been so busy with requests for annual berths from new boat owners. We also noticed that there were a lot of bigger boats, 15 m and bigger taking up the berths. Presumably people returning (like us), not crossing the channel nor going further afield. We have cruised the West Country many times in the past and it was wonderful. But in these times, I think with Brexit and whatever happens with COVID up to and during next summer the situation has changed dramatically. There will be a lot more boats about and I suspect berthing costs will increase. Not suggesting you don’t do it but plan on lots of medium and short term forward planning.

pvb

Visit site
With respect to the other replies, beware of out of date advice. We passaged west to east from Portland to the Orwell this August Returning from South Brittany. Weymouth was not accepting visitors. Littlehampton and Shoreham were closed “except for emergencies” . The Solent Marinas were expecting you to book 48hrs in advance, some demanding an up front, non returnable payment. Newtown Creek was full and I mean full, no space to even anchor - midweek. Dover just about had room for us and told us that they had never been so busy with requests for annual berths from new boat owners. We also noticed that there were a lot of bigger boats, 15 m and bigger taking up the berths. Presumably people returning (like us), not crossing the channel nor going further afield. We have cruised the West Country many times in the past and it was wonderful. But in these times, I think with Brexit and whatever happens with COVID up to and during next summer the situation has changed dramatically. There will be a lot more boats about and I suspect berthing costs will increase. Not suggesting you don’t do it but plan on lots of medium and short term forward planning.

Surely much of that is short-term coronavirus difficulties?

johnalison

Visit site
My answer too was based on the assumption that things would be back to something like normal. I see no reason not to at least start out optimistically and plan hopefully. It sounds as if he is going to have plenty of time in hand for adjustments. On a couple of occasions we have managed to combine West Country with Channel Isles or North Brittany, so there is plenty of choice.

Hadenough

Visit site
Yes, a lot of it was but the word on the water down there and our experience is that the days of casually cruising, expecting to tip up at a marina or anchorage and find a berth are gone. As I said, there are a lot more local boats about because of returnees. I was told by a reliable source that over 500 came back from just the the Caribbean because of COVID. They are unlikely to go back in the next year or two. Lots of men are now able to finally convince their partners that buying a boat is a good idea because it is too dangerous to go on a cruise. (Sources, independently; a friend who is a very busy broker and Dover Marina staff). I hope I am wrong. But I think not.

Hadenough

Visit site
My answer too was based on the assumption that things would be back to something like normal. I see no reason not to at least start out optimistically and plan hopefully. It sounds as if he is going to have plenty of time in hand for adjustments. On a couple of occasions we have managed to combine West Country with Channel Isles or North Brittany, so there is plenty of choice.
I agree but see my previous reply and bear in mind that on our passage Alderney and Guernsey were physically turning away visiting Yachts. You were not even allowed to anchor off . Jersey were more accommodating and set up an isolation pontoon, not allowed ashore but could stop overnight or anchor off, which was our preferrence. I am a terrible pessimist but i think that because of Brexit for Europeans and COVID for all of us, that the whole dynamic of casual cruising has changed for at least two years until, hopefully things settle down. And remember a pessimist is just an optimist with experience ?.

Last edited:

Denek

Visit site
Thanks guys some nice suggestions. I do take on board that things are a bit different now but one has to try to be optimistic ( wife tells me I’m a pessimist but I’m trying hard to be at least realistic) I too have been told that more people are buying boats because holidays abroad are difficult but just hoping that changes next summer with the vaccines and all that.
we have just returned from Cyprus so holidays abroad are possible. Brexit is another issue and the following year we are thinking of heading down to the Rias but we shall see. Isle of scilly is on the list at some point too.
we were originally planning this trip for 2020 but Covid stopped us in our tracks and so we are a year behind now.
i Am going to plan in Ernest and hope for the best, if not it will be another season pottering on the east coast. Nothing wrong with that though?

johnalison

Visit site
Thanks guys some nice suggestions. I do take on board that things are a bit different now but one has to try to be optimistic ( wife tells me I’m a pessimist but I’m trying hard to be at least realistic) I too have been told that more people are buying boats because holidays abroad are difficult but just hoping that changes next summer with the vaccines and all that.
we have just returned from Cyprus so holidays abroad are possible. Brexit is another issue and the following year we are thinking of heading down to the Rias but we shall see. Isle of scilly is on the list at some point too.
we were originally planning this trip for 2020 but Covid stopped us in our tracks and so we are a year behind now.
i Am going to plan in Ernest and hope for the best, if not it will be another season pottering on the east coast. Nothing wrong with that though?
I hope that Ernest enjoys the trip.

Tomahawk

Visit site
I suspect Hadenough is right in #8.
Certainly, we have found the covidiocy of the summer had taken away the pleasure of visiting places. There is no fun in being shouted at by bar staff if you don’t notice a regulation sign. Unless things change with all these new vaccines next summer is likely to be the same.

Then when things do start to open up, we will have lost about a third of restaurants and pubs.

[178529]

Visit site
By June things will be back to normal. Most of the people who have bought boats this year because they could go to Marbella will be back in Marbella.

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
There is a lesser trod path that's worth considering..... I'm basing Vim in Fowey for a month next season with the vague plan to hop across the Channel after visiting Rye (never been by boat). I'll head for Le Havre and then trundle along in day sails to Brittany before coming back to Dartmouth and continuing westwards.

Marina prices will be on a par, the food/booze immeasurably better and I welcome the chance to be out of sight of land and bloody wind farms for a few hours!

johnalison

Visit site
There is a lesser trod path that's worth considering..... I'm basing Vim in Fowey for a month next season with the vague plan to hop across the Channel after visiting Rye (never been by boat). I'll head for Le Havre and then trundle along in day sails to Brittany before coming back to Dartmouth and continuing westwards.

Marina prices will be on a par, the food/booze immeasurably better and I welcome the chance to be out of sight of land and bloody wind farms for a few hours!
We cruised Normandy and the Channel Isles many times long before I sailed to the West Country. The CI and back was relatively easy in three weeks in our then Sadler 29. It could have been cheaper, but there is also some great food and drink to be had in our West Country too. There a number of Cornish cheeses to be had as well as Yarg, and the fine butcher in Fowey sells several.

If the OP wants to go west for the first time, why not? It is quite an experience in itself, and generally quiet before the main season. France will still be there the following year, and if he has time, he can do a CI or French hop on the way back, as we have sometimes done.

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi,

if the Covid nonsense doesn't get in your way, your view of getting to the Wet country from SYH in two longish hops is about right, but they will be truly long. First stop Eastbourne (wastes time locking in and out) then the Solent, Yarmouth is a favourite of ours there. Easiest way round Portland is well offshore or, if you prefer excitement take the inshore route, but get the tide right. Nowhere sensible to stop across Lyme Bay until you get to the fleshpots of Torbay. Forget Lyme Regis - the harbour dries out by 1.5m - a few pontoons are overcrowded and anchoring off OK in fair weather but awful in a blow. Lovely anchorage in Lulworth cove, but you need to be among the first 6 boats to arrive if you're going to anchor with any scope and the military range makes you follow a silly course to enter from the West.

The alternative is to set watches and keep going from SYH to Dartmouth in one hop - should be less than 48 hours if you keep moving and stay offshore, timing the tidal gates at N Foreland, Dungeness St. Catherine;s Pt and St. Albans Head. You'll never get them all right, but seek to get as many as you can. for Portland Bill, just get 20 miles offshore, not really any extra distance if you've gone S of the IoW.

Once you've got to Torbay (Torquaty and Brixham) or a short leg further into Dartmouth you can have your short hops further to all the jewels of the Wet country. You also still have a fairly short passage to Guernsey. Once further west, in Falmouth or the Helford River, shortish hop to Roscoff or even to L'Aberwrach.

Peter.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Don’t forget to take lightweight shore going oilies! It rains a lot in the West Country, even in summer. Expect to be “holed up” more than we are on the East Coast in summer. One time, when we kept the boat in Plymouth , we just about made Dartmouth and back in a fortnight’s holiday. Wet, windy and a lot of swell. On a nice day it’s magical, no doubt about it. I hope you have many such days.

johnalison

Visit site
Guess that you were sailng to far offshore to notice it probably too fast as well, all in an eyes blink probably ?
We like to think that we go at a decent lick but it's more likely to be 6-7 knots. More probably our great circle route across the bay didn't get us close enough.

We only stopped in Torquay once and didn't find it very yachty, with just an expensive marina, but it was a while ago. Brixham is a quaint town but we didn't find the marina very congenial, though we had a pleasant night or two on the sailing club offshore pontoon. Again, it was some time ago. I remember enjoying the walk to Berry Head, where there are nesting shearwaters. We have usually headed for Dartmouth. Dartmouth is quite big, of course, but both sides have their attractions, and the lower ferry has to be seen to be believed.