Planning a trip from Shepperton to Isle of Wight

Corona Mia

Visit site
I am thinking to have a boat trip from Shepperton to the Isle of Wight next season. Does anyone ever do that from Thame to the Isle of Wight? Any advice? Thanks
Great trip Lucas…….we’ve done it a few times from Wargrave……so a few more locks than you!?

As others have already said the tide is your friend…..although some times you’re much better sacrificing a few ‘free knots’ to avoid wind against tide conditions. They can produce some steep waves, particularly round Dungeness and the Looe Channel.
Obviously depends on the wind direction and strength.

I think there‘s 2 main things to consider if you’ve not done it before…….The Boat……and The Crew.

We signed up to our first MBM cruise in 2005 to the Scillies…….but we had to get to Port Solent for the start.
Did a couple of ’shakedown’ cruises or the boat (an old Broom Monarch that had spent many years on the Upper Thames).

First time opened the throttles after Tower Bridge was quiet dramatic with lots of smoke, overheat alarms, and screams from the crew!? Fortunately we managed to catch the ’last lock’ into St. Katts. before the tide fell.
The crew were eventually calmed by drinks and food at the Dickens.?

Back to Wargrave and a serious review of the cooling system, including both heat-exchangers……and a second ‘shakedown’ to he Medway. Boat now running fine!

However the Lower Thames gets seriously wide (although some bits aren’t very deep). It proved very ‘tricky’ trying to convince the First Mate that we couldn’t sail close to the bank like we did on the Upper Thames.?

There are plenty of decent places to break your journey into reasonable segments, whether you‘re cruising at 15 or 25kts.

Know your boat, especially if it’s not recently done longer passages at higher speeds……
Don‘t frighten your crew……..
And you’ll really enjoy it.?

Oh…..and if you’re coming back from Ramsgate on the flood tide try not to get to Teddington before the water!
(Don‘t ask!?)

John

Whitlock

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with doing that trip at 6 Knots, you just have to understand the tides. For example, you can easily get from Tower Bridge to Queenborough at that boat speed on one tide, then Ramsgate or Dover ( I suggest Dover), then Brighton, then IOW via the Looe Channel. I've done it in sailing yachts several times. You have to punch a bit of tide in places but generally the tides will work for you.
If motoring, make sure that your fuel tank is clean so that you don't suck sediment into the filters when the boat starts rocking.

Chris_d

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with doing that trip at 6 Knots, you just have to understand the tides. For example, you can easily get from Tower Bridge to Queenborough at that boat speed on one tide, then Ramsgate or Dover ( I suggest Dover), then Brighton, then IOW via the Looe Channel. I've done it in sailing yachts several times. You have to punch a bit of tide in places but generally the tides will work for you.
If motoring, make sure that your fuel tank is clean so that you don't suck sediment into the filters when the boat starts rocking.
A lot more comfortable in a sailing yacht with a deep keel and steadying sail, absolute purgatory in a roly poly lump of Dutch steel at 6knts, but I suppose some people like that sort of thing ;)

Visit site
I’m about to do a trip from Medway to Poole soon, planning on going from medway to Dover, then Brighton then final leg to Poole. Never navigated the Medway before & around the Dover area so that’ll be interesting, furthest I’ve been is to Eastbourne but that was on a yacht in F6 beating upwind which was fun

oldgit

Visit site
On the first bit its really only weather and whats underneath you that matters beyond Dover its merely weather ?
Comforting to decide before hand where you are going to nip into and the procedure to get in , if the conditions turn inclement .
Our last trip was warm to wal sunshine and F1 moderating.

nfluester

www.youtube.com
we are in Shepperton and did a trip out to Ramsgate earlier in the year, was really lumpy on the way out took nearly a whole day from St kats but was flat calm on the return, we have had similar when heading round to the medway where it can be a bit unpredictable once you get out in the estuary.

we are thinking about going further next year for a longer run round to the south coast

pjimd

Visit site
Would recommend doing your research, so no surprises en route, (lots of info in pilot books and these forums. Chatham/queenborough, Ramsgate and perhaps Sovereign harbour are all good stopping points.
Personally I think perhaps most important is to use favourable weather and tides and simply wait if necessary. Quartering F6 on the nose for 7 hours into breaking swells is wet and frankly a grim prospect, running downwind in same conditions is quite feasible.
Teddington to Chichester is fairly comfortable 2 day run in planing mobo, if conditions are benign.

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
An overlooked stopping place is Littlehampton, although only accessable at certain times, typical seaside town (in the summer) and we enjoyed a few days there.