Places you have annoyed your crew by singing about them whilst on way to or passing.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I sometimes murder this traditional Irish sea shanty much to the amusement of my wife and daughter neither of whom understand or speak Gaelic

Poignard

Visit site

siwhi

Visit site
Travelers crossing the Gascanane Sound, near Baltimore in County Cork should write a verse to be recited as they cross, usually on the way to Cape Clear Island. We all did, and to my surprise some of them were very good!

Weeks of "Oh, we're going to Barbados" or "Southern Cross" by Crosby Stills & Nash wears thin, almost as much as does 10 minutes of "Mull of Kintyre".

Last edited:

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Rock the Boat (Don't Rock the Boat!) - The Hues Corporation, followed closely by 'I'm 18 with a bullet" by Pete Sinfield. Linked only because I lived on the Norfolk Broads when they were in the charts.

westhinder

Visit site
I confess I could not resist I wish I were in Carrickfergus on the way to Carrickfergus, but I soon switched to the IPad before my crew threatened to jump ship.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I confess I could not resist I wish I were in Carrickfergus on the way to Carrickfergus, but I soon switched to the IPad before my crew threatened to jump ship.
Having actually been to Carrickfergus, "I wish I were in Carrickfergus" seems like a most implausible emotion, up there with "My heart's in Stevenage still" and "Dreaming of Middlesbrough".

westhinder

Visit site
Having actually been to Carrickfergus, "I wish I were in Carrickfergus" seems like a most implausible emotion, up there with "My heart's in Stevenage still" and "Dreaming of Middlesbrough".
It was my first visit there since the Troubles, and I felt the atmosphere had much improved. I was there on the day of a big Orange march, but it was markedly less menacing than 20 years earlier. Still I can think of more pleasant places, but the song has a place in my heart