Pip Hare

laika

Visit site
I wonder if she'll be disappointed with being first Briton over the line (beating Alex Thomson), being within 1.5 days of Ellen MacArthur's time, being 4th fastest woman ever and beating the 3rd fastest ever? Not too shabby for a first timer in an old boat who had her fair share of breakages and dealt with them. I don't think she'll be stuck for sponsors in 2024/5.

Bobc

Visit site
I doubt she'll feel disappointed at all. What she's achieved is incredible and is an inspiration to all.

She has earned the right to be in that fleet and is now regarded as a top global sailor by the French. Her sponsors are over the moon with her and have said that they are going boat shopping to get her a newer and faster boat.

When you consider that less than 2 years ago, when she decided to do this, she had no money, no sponsor, and no boat, and took out a personal loan to charter that boat for an initial few months, what she has achieved is nothing short of a miracle.

She has my total admiration.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Bernard Stamm has called her "his hero".

Jean le Cam has described her as "a ray of sunshine" and "his sailing daughter". He's been singing her praises ever since he finished the race, and has been banging on about how much he wanted to meet her; he boarded Medallia as she went up the channel to give her a big hug.

ridgy

Visit site
Media coverage seemed very disorganised compared to the others, nothing on the boat and 2 minute interview with Andi at the end. Hopefully press conference is better.

laika

Visit site
I wonder if she'll be disappointed with [...]

I doubt she'll feel disappointed at all.

For clarity among International forumites who may not recognise our traditional verbal traits of irony and understatement, "I wonder if she'll be disappointed with <fantastic result>, Not too shabby..." involves neither a question nor implied mediocrity once translated from British English ;-).

Bobc

Visit site
For clarity among International forumites who may not recognise our traditional verbal traits of irony and understatement, "I wonder if she'll be disappointed with <fantastic result>, Not too shabby..." involves neither a question nor implied mediocrity once translated from British English ;-).
I see what you did there ;-)

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
Media coverage seemed very disorganised compared to the others, nothing on the boat and 2 minute interview with Andi at the end. Hopefully press conference is better.
The sea state off Les Sables last night was pretty gnarly, with a massive swell, cross sea and waves reflected off the beach. Having lost use of one of the hydrogenerators early in the race, Pip was also rather low on diesel - before starting the engine they had to transfer fuel from cans brought out in a RIB - hence being slow to get the mainsail down etc.
The press conference (link above) is well worth watching
Some brilliant photos from the finish by Richard Langdon here: www.facebook.com/OceanImagesLtd/posts/3992322760802278

gertha

Visit site
maybe she will get Hugo Boss to play on next time.
could be an eye opener.
I have great respect for a brilliant sailor.

Nimrod18

Visit site
Superb performance, both for her sailing and her ability to share the experience. And under “sailing” I’m brigading the whole raft of skills she displayed getting round.

Frogmogman

Visit site
maybe she will get Hugo Boss to play on next time.
could be an eye opener.
I have great respect for a brilliant sailor.

She said at the press conference that she is after a boat of the 2016 generation. She’d like a bit of a roof, but doesn’t want to do the whole thing indoors.

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site
Looking at the tracking map I see Isobelle and Sam are still underway heading for home although "hors course"...

They should come in before the official tail end Charlie presently Ari..