Pip Hare

Yealm

Visit site
Anyone else following Pip Hare's adventures in the Vendee ?
I really enjoy her video clips.
She's experienced several setbacks - had to replace a rudder, go up the mast to repair an anenometer and has now been stung badly by Portuguese Men of War.
Really impressive !

andyc352

Visit site
Anyone else following Pip Hare's adventures in the Vendee ?
I really enjoy her video clips.
She's experienced several setbacks - had to replace a rudder, go up the mast to repair an anenometer and has now been stung badly by Portuguese Men of War.
Really impressive !
I’ve been following her for a while now. Fantastic positive attitude. Good luck to her, she’s really tough when facing setbacks.

Yealm

Visit site
I’ve been following her for a while now. Fantastic positive attitude. Good luck to her, she’s really tough when facing setbacks.
Yes, hopefully her popularity in this race will help get lots of sponsorship for the next challenge.

wully1

Visit site
She is inspirational.

Oldest boat in the fleet, tiny budget and now after all the set backs being passed by much more modern, faster boats in a drag race. I’d love to see how she will do in a competitive boat.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I must admit I've not really followed the Vendee but I have seen clips from Pip now and then.

If you want to see a great race in true Pip style set an hour aside one night and watch this. I must admit a must have watched 3 or 4 times over the last few years and I'll probably watch it again before the end of this lockdown.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Love her videos, such a light in these dark times.

Laughed out loud when she was trying to sail around a storm cloud but didn't want to lose too much time with a course change, so she said something like she would keep quiet and not make a noise and perhaps it won't notice I'm here. :)

NormanB

Visit site
We lost a great communicator from the race when AT retired, but Pip has done very well portraying the ups and downs, and the highs and lows. Her rudder change alone was a superb achievement, and in the Southern Ocean to cap it off. On her most recent mast climb you could literally share her pain. She has done a great job, her sponsor is delighted and already taking about a better boat for the next Vendee. She has and is doing well.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Went aboard at the Southampton Boat Show 2019, Pip was speaking to someone else so I did not say hello. She and her team have been brilliant at sharing the highs and lows of the event.

Skylark

Visit site
I must admit I've not really followed the Vendee but I have seen clips from Pip now and then.

If you want to see a great race in true Pip style set an hour aside one night and watch this. I must admit a must have watched 3 or 4 times over the last few years and I'll probably watch it again before the end of this lockdown.

Absolutely brilliant, 12 out of 10, video. Very highly recommended viewing. Thanks for posting (y)

Frogmogman

Visit site

You think that’s good. In 2017 she came second in the 3 peaks race.....two handed (with my friend Charles Hill).

Frogmogman

Visit site
She has done a great job, her sponsor is delighted and already taking about a better boat for the next Vendee. She has and is doing well.

Let’s hope that Medallia come through on that. Pip totally deserves it.

It is noticeable that her skills as a professional journalist have lifted her dispatches above the level of most; that she is so articulate about the human side of the challenge makes what she has to say of interest to a wider public than just hardened sailing fans, which from a sponsor’s point of view is pure gold.

Skylark

Visit site
Yes, infact I couldn't resist and stuck ot on this morning. Deserves a thread of it's own really!
I was a north Wales based sailor for many years so I know a few locals who have done it. Always fancied it myself, too. I've watched boats being rowed through the Menai/Swellies. Some stunning photography within the video. Awesome.

Caraway

Visit site
I haven't watched one yet. If you can promise it is more uplifting than Day Mellon's weeping in the cabin films, I'll give them a look.

ridgy

Visit site
You think that’s good. In 2017 she came second in the 3 peaks race.....two handed (with my friend Charles Hill).

As a frequent 3 peaks competitor it was an astonishing to see someone do that. Its a very difficult event with a full team when everyone sticks to their own job. I can't see that 2 handed effort being repeated anytime soon.

Skylark

Visit site
I haven't watched one yet. If you can promise it is more uplifting than Day Mellon's weeping in the cabin films, I'll give them a look.
You know you want to ;)

Some stunning photography around North Wales (but please keep this secret from Lake Solent sailors). One famous skipper touching the bottom in The Menai, another did similar later and had to wait for the tide to enter Whitehaven. Great shots of real athletes doing the equivalent of 3 ultra marathons in as many days, including ascents of the three peaks. The only disappointment is that it only lasts about 45 minutes. Top video :)

TLouth7

Visit site
As a frequent 3 peaks competitor it was an astonishing to see someone do that. Its a very difficult event with a full team when everyone sticks to their own job. I can't see that 2 handed effort being repeated anytime soon.
I'm sure I heard her discuss another attempt, or was it singlehanded she was planning?

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I was a north Wales based sailor for many years so I know a few locals who have done it. Always fancied it myself, too. I've watched boats being rowed through the Menai/Swellies. Some stunning photography within the video. Awesome.

My boat did it in 2004 (with the previous owner) I've considered putting together a team for 2024 to race against the previous owners tine but I think the entry is near £1000 and would involve a considerable amount of time off work.

I've always thought if I do get some time off I'll do it singlehanded and walk/cycle the peaks as a cruise rather than a race.

I'm sure I heard her discuss another attempt, or was it singlehanded she was planning?

At the enf of the YouTube clip Dee mentions wanting to do it again.

Sorry for the thread drift.

flaming

Visit site
I've known pip for about 15 years now. It's definitely no coincidence that when we got the best result we ever had in the old boat, a class win at the IRC nats in 30kts of breeze, Pip was trimming the main and bossing the crew about.

It has come as no surprise to those who know her that she has put in the performance she has. Still very gratifying to see. I'm just hoping I get to go for a ride in the new boat!

westhinder

Visit site

This is absolutely brilliant.
I had read about the race, but couldn‘t imagine how gruelling it really is. This documentary makes it all come to life. Very well produced too.