Pinta Autopilot. Owners/Maintenance Manual

cowpat

Visit site
PINTA.

I know it's nearly a year since your posting but I have a manual for the Pinta Automatic Helmsman. I have PM you also so If you still want one I can copy mine for you. Chris.

oilgently

Visit site
I know it's nearly a year since your posting but I have a manual for the Pinta Automatic Helmsman. I have PM you also so If you still want one I can copy mine for you. Chris.

dont suppose you could let this old bugger have the Pinta autohelm info , brought my 50ft from Cowes to Liverpool without autohelm -- got the drive / motor box with chain drive to the wheel but no elecs but no idea how to interface the Garmin with the pinta thanks John

seadog30

Visit site
Garmin Interface ?

Sorry the Pinta predates GPS ( and maybe even stone axes).

The pinta has its own Compass (the thing in a big round top metal housing) and is an electromechanical machine not compatible with modern electronics.

If you could find an electronics wiz who could design a servo control to interface with a GPS you might manage to use the Pinta driver motor

Realy only two options 1) find a working Pinta kit and install the parts you are missing or 2) get a modern device

Good luck

cowpat

Visit site
PINTA

dont suppose you could let this old bugger have the Pinta autohelm info , brought my 50ft from Cowes to Liverpool without autohelm -- got the drive / motor box with chain drive to the wheel but no elecs but no idea how to interface the Garmin with the pinta thanks John
Hi John,
I have the General Description only for the type 6 Pinta (11 pages) But no wiring diagrams.
seadog30 Phil says he has full manual and drgs. I would like a wiring diagram so will private message him. If you do want a copy of the G.D. as mentioned let us know. Hovever, I think there were several different types but they all followed a generslly similar design of briefly (but not completly):- magnrtic compas card with light holes and light sensitive cells working firstly a transistor relay the output of which is then fed to power relays to work the motor. Feedback to the compas is via a flexable cable working against the turning of the boat. The motor over run current is disapated as heat in the brake resistors on the front of the control unit.
Very sophisticated,complex, reliable, and lasting equipment.
I wonder if it is appreciated how brilliant British electrical/electronic design and manufacture once were.??? .....Chris.

johnjstark

Visit site
Pinta Autopilot

Hello Chris,
I would greatly appreciate any information on the Pinta Helmsman.
John Stark

johnjstark

Visit site
Hi John,
I sent a P.M.to you last week. If you would like to email me your email address I can send the document to you direct. Chris.

Hello Chris,
That was very good of you to reply so quickly.
Our Pinta Autopilot is fitted to 1937 Saunders-Roe cruiser, any information on this at all would be gratefully received.
My e-mail address is johnjstark@hotmail.co.uk
Thank you for going to the bother.
Best regards,
John

uktweaker

Visit site
Hi Guys - I am just about to acquire a Fairey swordsman (with whitlock steering) which seems to have an ancient Pinta automatic helmsman and I'd be extremely grateful for any info, manuals, wiring diagrams people would be preferred to offer.
My email is martin.mayhead@gmail.com
Thx

lenmac

Visit site
Hi

We have the Full manual and drgs for the Pinta as fitted on a 1972 Seadog

PM me if you would like a .pdf copy

Phil
Hi there Phil,

Don't know if you got my email of yesterday. I was sending it from someone elses computer. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a PDF copy of the Pinta manual and diagrams.

Kind regards

Leonard

Email: len@millburn.demon.co.uk

nick_theboatman

Visit site
I know that this thread is old now, but you might like to know that I have "Norseman", the boat that was the platform for the first Pinta Pilot, previously owned by its developer. Although the previous owner stripped out the Pinta Pilot he told me about how it works and I saw the unit installed, and took some photos. I have been stripping out the old servo drive but obviously I am aware of how that worked too. Im trying to gather information on the Pinta Pilot for heritage reasons (the boat is a 1904 heritage boat) so anything anyone has will be welcome.

Vidas

Visit site
I have an original manual complete with wiring diagrams ,I would be interested to know if its possible to put a modern flux type compass in place OD the big domey thing??

KILMAINE

Visit site
Re: Pinta Autopilot

I realise it's a long time ago but I too require a manual for a Pinta, mine is playing up on my 1965 Van Lent TSDY
If it's possible to e mail my address is crowntask@aol.com. Much appreciated. Kilmaine

laurenfrolica

Visit site
Re: PINTA.

Hello, I have a pinta autopilot thats stopped working and need a wiring diagram. Would you have one of these in your manual at all? Many thanks Lauren