Petrol in the Brizzle Channel

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
A month back we did our first major excursion in our 21 foot mobo... With the intention of doing Portishead - Swansea - Milford, and back.

We made it as far as Tenby and liked it so much we stayed there rather than pushing through to Milford.

However, one of the problems we have is where to source petrol. We could take some with us (and do as backup for the auxiliary)... But would prefer not to carry all that weight and potential danger.

Our next trip is gonna be along towards the North coast of Devon.

So with that in mind... I'm gonna try keeping a definitive list here (and update this post as they come in) of where petrol can be obtained... Any tips would be great! Highlighting known ommissions as I go.

Disclaimer: Use all this information at your own peril!

On a Map - Click Here

I've added all (where there is info) to a Google Map for easier visibility.

Welsh Side

Cardiff: Available @ Penarth
Penarth has petrol on the fuel pontoon, same place you get diesel. (Thanks to bitbaltic!)

Swansea: Possible - Use a marina trolley.
Notes: Sainsbury's petrol station around the corner. Level ground. Expect 30-40 mins per 50L run between marina-station-marina (including buying/pouring/filling). Station only allows one 20L and one 5L at a time... but after 5 mins you can be a new customer. Trolleys available at marina. Consider asking marina if they can have you near station whilst filling.
July 2018: marina staff hinted that they're trying to get permission for a petrol pump.

Tenby: Possible - Bring a trolley.
Google Maps puts petrol station a 12 minute walk away from harbour. Hills may add delays.

Milford Marina - Available.
"Access into Milford Marina is via a lock, which is time consuming except on freeflow (HW -2h10 to HW -0h10 when I last looked)" - (Thanks to Coaster!).
"There is also petrol available on the fuel pontoon in Milford I believe. ... Milford will serve petrol outside of shop opening hours too as it’s a 24/7 marina." - (Thanks to bitbaltic!)
"one could also pull up on the deep-water all-tide pontoons at Hobbs Point (just upstream of Pembroke Dock) and take a trolley about 300 metres to Asda’s filling station, presumably supermarket station hours apply" - (Thanks to bitbaltic!)

Neyland Marina - Available (near).
"Petrol is available on The Dale Sailing fuel pontoon, immediately adjacent to Neyland Marina, during the chandlery's shop hours. The Neyland facility is all tide." - (Thanks to Coaster!).
Google Maps Link to Dale Sailing: Link

English Side

Bristol: Possible - Bring a trolley.
Notes: Jetty by Grain Barge pub (on map as the Mardyke - link), quarter a mile in from the lock approaching from the West, on the left as you come in. Petrol station a few minutes away by foot on the road. Keep to the west of the jetty as it's used as a ferry stop. People mooch around a lot too so best not leave boat unattended.

Portishead : Available.

Watchet: None.
Nearest petrol station appears to be a mile out of town.

Minehead: Possible - Bring a trolley.
Notes: Can't get in touch with harbourmaster to confirm. Google maps shows a Morrisons 18 mins walk from harbour (map link).

Porlock Weir: (Suspect) None.

Lynmouth: (Suspect) None.

Watermouth Harbour: (Suspect) None.

Ilfracombe: Possible - Bring a trolley.
Notes: Google Maps puts petrol station as a 13 minute walk up the highstreet... harbourmaster says "uphill" (map link).

River Taw - Appledore

River Taw - Instow

River Taw - Bideford: Possible - Bring a trolley.
"Was available 5 min from river wall just below the bridge starboard bank dries" - (Thanks to fergie_mac66)

River Taw - Barnstaple

Clovelly

Bude Haven: Possible - Bring a trolley.
"Bude Haven. Petrol station 400m from lock on road to Straton. Need trolly." - (Thanks to Gelfie!)

Boscastle

Padstow: Possible / Available - Ring ahead.
"Padstow the harbour office arranges petrol and will fetch to order about 11 in morning he only normally goes once a day" - (Thanks to fergie_mac66!)

Newquay

Port Isaac

Last edited:

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
A month back we did our first major excursion in our 21 foot mobo... With the intention of doing Portishead - Swansea - Milford, and back.

We made it as far as Tenby and liked it so much we stayed there rather than pushing through to Milford.

However, one of the problems we have is where to source petrol. We could take some with us (and do as backup for the auxiliary)... But would prefer not to carry all that weight and potential danger.

So with that in mind... I'm gonna try keeping a definitive list here (and update this post as they come in) of where petrol can be obtained... Any tips would be great!

Bristol: Possible - Needs own trolley.
Notes: Jetty by Grain Barge pub (on map as the Mardyke - link), quarter a mile in from the lock approaching from the West, on the left as you come in. Petrol station a few minutes away by foot on the road. Keep to the west of the jetty as it's used as a ferry stop. People mooch around a lot too so best not leave boat unattended.

Swansea: Possible - Use a trolley.
Notes: Sainsbury's petrol station around the corner. Expect 30-40 mins per 50L run between marina-station-marina (including buying/pouring/filling). Station only allows one 20L and one 5L at a time... However, after 5 minutes you become a new customer (hint). Trolleys available at marina. Consider asking marina if they can have you near station whilst filling.
July 2018: marina staff hinted that they're trying to get permission for a petrol pump.

Cardiff: Available?
Details to follow (believe it's available at Penarth Marina).

Penarth has petrol on the fuel pontoon, same place you get diesel.

Coaster

Visit site
Petrol is available on The Dale Sailing fuel pontoon, immediately adjacent to Neyland Marina, during the chandlery's shop hours.

Access into Milford Marina is via a lock, which is time consuming except on freeflow (HW -2h10 to HW -0h10 when I last looked0.#

The Neyland facility is all tide.

bitbaltic

Petrol is available on The Dale Sailing fuel pontoon, immediately adjacent to Neyland Marina, during the chandlery's shop hours.

Access into Milford Marina is via a lock, which is time consuming except on freeflow (HW -2h10 to HW -0h10 when I last looked0.#

The Neyland facility is all tide.

There is also petrol available on the fuel pontoon in Milford I believe.

As Neyland’s lower basin (only, not the upper basin which has a cill) is the only non-locked marina berthing in the entire Bristol Channel (thanks to Mr Brunel) I think it’s a bit disingenuous to accuse Milford’s locks of being ‘time consuming’. The same goes for everywhere else! Especially when Dale Sailing’s pontoon isn’t even actually in the marina, although yes it is all tide.

Milford will serve petrol outside of shop opening hours too as it’s a 24/7 marina.

bitbaltic

While we’re at it in the Haven, one could also pull up on the deep-water all-tide pontoons at Hobbs Point (just upstream of Pembroke Dock) and take a trolley about 300 metres to Asda’s filling station, presumably supermarket station hours apply.

Last edited:

Coaster

Visit site
As Neyland’s lower basin (only, not the upper basin which has a cill) is the only non-locked marina berthing in the entire Bristol Channel (thanks to Mr Brunel) I think it’s a bit disingenuous to accuse Milford’s locks of being ‘time consuming’.

We kept a boat in Milford Marina for 8 years, having previously used the slipway for quite a few years, got to know the staff and the liveaboards quite well, and remain fond of the place. However the lock was a nuisance. Perhaps the worst occasion was arriving back from Ireland at about 0200, around low water springs, and having to wait ages before we could even enter the lock, let alone pass through it. On that occasion the Mackerel Stage was not available as a temporary measure.

Having become increasingly fed up by the lock we moved to Neyland 2 years ago.

My comments about the Milford lock are based on some 20 year's use. I'm sorry you think them disingenuous.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
Padstow the harbour office arranges petrol and will fetch to order about 11 in morning he only normally goes once a day
Bidiford. Was available 5 min from river wall just below the bridge starboard bank dries

Last edited:

bitbaltic

We kept a boat in Milford Marina for 8 years, having previously used the slipway for quite a few years, got to know the staff and the liveaboards quite well, and remain fond of the place. However the lock was a nuisance. Perhaps the worst occasion was arriving back from Ireland at about 0200, around low water springs, and having to wait ages before we could even enter the lock, let alone pass through it. On that occasion the Mackerel Stage was not available as a temporary measure.

Having become increasingly fed up by the lock we moved to Neyland 2 years ago.

My comments about the Milford lock are based on some 20 year's use. I'm sorry you think them disingenuous.

Apologies for a poor choice of words. I meant only that the same accusation could be levelled at every marina in the area except Neyland.

As Tico says the new lock arrangements are vastly faster and more convenient than the old ones, although a)I guess you have experienced them especially if you only moved 2 years ago and b) if you are in the 40ft range the pontoons are short. Compared to Cardiff (where we used to be) locking is a doddle in Milford, partly because of the lower tidal range but also the smaller size of the lock. Cardiff’s lock pontoons were much easier to get onto though.

Thread drift but I reckon Swansea is the most awful place to get into in the BC, locking into the river and then into a tiny lock from river to marina most of the time, we are 30ft and occupied a whole pontoon (or frequently ended up rafted to a smaller boat) during the season we kept our boat there.

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Thread drift but I reckon Swansea is the most awful place to get into in the BC, locking into the river and then into a tiny lock from river to marina most of the time, we are 30ft and occupied a whole pontoon (or frequently ended up rafted to a smaller boat) during the season we kept our boat there.
Swansea
21-foot without thrusters... and we loved it... being able to just grab a rope and hold it.

The marina lock was opened for us on freeflow every time we went through (6x), which was nice. Pulling up was nice too... grab rope, then get boat secured without faff of having to line a cleat up for the missus.

Cardiff
You're going in... and some bugger decides to cut you up, overtake you as you're going in, squabble for space with nobody moving forward (they just stare at you as you fanny around drifting because there's not physically enough space to tie up until they move forwards) until they're told by the control tower... packed in like sardines. No, we didn't like Cardiff Barrage.

bitbaltic

There is a lot of bad behaviour and bad boat handling in Cardiff locks for sure. Once we were coming seaward out of lock 2 and some, er, aquiaintances in a bigger bav were coming out behind us. They were gunning it giving us no room to slow down, and at the same time Challenge Wales was coming out of lock one between us and the channel. Ended up doing a donut in the pool to avoid being the jam in a sandwich created by the boat behind. Another time I recall coming into the barrage at low water, a Legend that had anchored under the sector light because he lacked confidence to go in suddenly started motoring right at us pulling his anchor up with both crew oblivious that we were there and constrained. To be fair they were very apologetic in the lock but again they almost caused a collision.

Going out I agree 100% it’s a free for all as boats that have called later for a lock in cut you up. It wants some sort of calling system from Control for sure.

You’ve reminded me why I don’t miss Cardiff....

Sneds

Visit site
Cardiff defo need some sort of booking or calling in system as ignorant people do tend to try and push in

It is very wrong and poor seamanship as well as downright rude and often dangerous , perhaps they could learn some etiquette and manners from the inland boaters from up past Sharpness

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Somebody mentioned this thread, so adding that Swansea Marina now has petrol available on pump (not via dragging it back from Sainsburys).

Best to check by calling them though, as it's quite a new thing and sometimes it seems they might run out (just to keep in mind if availability would break your plans).

carlnaj

Visit site
Somebody mentioned this thread, so adding that Swansea Marina now has petrol available on pump (not via dragging it back from Sainsburys).

Best to check by calling them though, as it's quite a new thing and sometimes it seems they might run out (just to keep in mind if availability would break your plans).

Thanks vodzurk for keeping this thread updated.

I’m berthed at swansea and chatting with the marina staff, they mentioned that they were limited on the size of the petrol tank that they were allowed to install (something like 2500 litres but don’t quote me). which is why they sometimes run out.

There was a couple of occasions over the summer where petrol was out of stock, they do put a notice out on their “Sail Swansea” app, facebook page and website when they do run out and again once it’s back in stock and it’s normally back in stock within a day or two. To be fair it’s always been available when i’ve needed some but do take it into account if you are en route to somewhere else but it’s in stock more often than not.

Bellinos

Visit site

So with that in mind... I'm gonna try keeping a definitive list here (and update this post as they come in) of where petrol can be obtained... Any tips would be great! Highlighting known ommissions as I go.

Disclaimer: Use all this information at your own peril!

On a Map - Click Here

I've added all (where there is info) to a Google Map for easier visibility.

Welsh Side

Cardiff: Available @ Penarth
Penarth has petrol on the fuel pontoon, same place you get diesel. (Thanks to bitbaltic!)

Swansea: Possible - Use a marina trolley.
Notes: Sainsbury's petrol station around the corner. Level ground. Expect 30-40 mins per 50L run between marina-station-marina (including buying/pouring/filling). Station only allows one 20L and one 5L at a time... but after 5 mins you can be a new customer. Trolleys available at marina. Consider asking marina if they can have you near station whilst filling.

Tenby: Possible - Bring a trolley.
Google Maps puts petrol station a 12 minute walk away from harbour. Hills may add delays.

Milford Marina - Available.
"Access into Milford Marina is via a lock, which is time consuming except on freeflow (HW -2h10 to HW -0h10 when I last looked)" - (Thanks to Coaster!).
"There is also petrol available on the fuel pontoon in Milford I believe. ... Milford will serve petrol outside of shop opening hours too as it’s a 24/7 marina." - (Thanks to bitbaltic!)
"one could also pull up on the deep-water all-tide pontoons at Hobbs Point (just upstream of Pembroke Dock) and take a trolley about 300 metres to Asda’s filling station, presumably supermarket station hours apply" - (Thanks to bitbaltic!)

Neyland Marina - Available (near).
"Petrol is available on The Dale Sailing fuel pontoon, immediately adjacent to Neyland Marina, during the chandlery's shop hours. The Neyland facility is all tide." - (Thanks to Coaster!).
Google Maps Link to Dale Sailing: Link

English Side

Bristol: Possible - Bring a trolley.

Minehead: Possible - Bring a trolley.
Notes: Can't get in touch with harbourmaster to confirm. Google maps shows a Morrisons 18 mins walk from harbour (map link).

Porlock Weir: (Suspect) None.

Lynmouth: (Suspect) None.

Watermouth Harbour: (Suspect) None.

Ilfracombe: Possible - Bring a trolley.
Notes: Google Maps puts petrol station as a 13 minute walk up the highstreet... harbourmaster says "uphill" (map link).

River Taw - Appledore

River Taw - Instow

River Taw - Bideford: Possible - Bring a trolley.
"Was available 5 min from river wall just below the bridge starboard bank dries" - (Thanks to fergie_mac66)

River Taw - Barnstaple

Clovelly

Bude Haven: Possible - Bring a trolley.
"Bude Haven. Petrol station 400m from lock on road to Straton. Need trolly." - (Thanks to Gelfie!)

Boscastle

Padstow: Possible / Available - Ring ahead.
"Padstow the harbour office arranges petrol and will fetch to order about 11 in morning he only normally goes once a day" - (Thanks to fergie_mac66!)

Newquay

Port Isaac
Bideford Morrison’s petrol about 20 min walk each way . No petrol in Lynmouth but there is in Lynton- just pray the water powered car is working :)

bitbaltic

These days I’ve realised that I drive past dozens of fuel stations on the way to the boat so why do I muck about for 45 minutes trying to get onto the fuel pontoon. We are lucky if we burn 2 tanks a season so the 60:40 saving doesn’t really matter, I just carry a Jerry can in the car and top up on the berth. Usually tank it from a shell garage; no idea about the ethanol issue though.