Pertelote of Kirkwall

Red Aye

Visit site
Back in the late 60s on the Orkney island of Sanday I had a life changing guided tour of a newly built yacht called Pertelote.

She was a William Garden design, 55' loa and built in Cowes by the Clarke Bros.

Have thought about this boat many times over the intervening years, as I pursued my career at sea and my yachting interests, regarding the impression that she made upon me as a pivotal moment in my impressionable years.

Have recently been in contact with the second owners who have furnished me with enough information to kick off a simple web site devoted to this beautiful boat.

Would appreciate it if anyone with any knowledge of her, past and present, could get in touch and I will add to the site.

http://nostrebor56.wix.com/pertelote

Lymington.jpgpertelote 2 copy.jpg

Red Aye

Visit site
Now there is an interesting thing Maldwin Drummond. You could be correct. Do you know if he also owns a bonny ketch called "Klaus Stoertebecker" that I have been drooling over?

I have also seen your post on the other thread "GANG WARILY designed byJ francis Jones for Maldwin Drummond...a one off bult by Whistocks". What length was she?

When I first stepped on board Pertelote in the late 60s I was introduced to the owner. The name never stuck but that he was described as a sheep farmer did!

He seemed the most unlikely sheep farmer I had ever met!

Wansworth

Visit site
Gang Warily was about 32 foot length over deck......M.D seems to have had his interests in many things and was a member of the RYS and gentleman farmer, writer etc.Google it

Red Aye

Visit site
Lloyds List shows the first owner as a Mr HLH Birley until 1979 and then in 1979 a Mr Richard S Fairbairns however Denis Baylis bought her in 1978 and sold her to Doug Miller in 1982.
Doug sold her on some time later to a retired policeman who put her on a mooring in Dartmouth.
When she was sold after that is presently unknown however Wooden Ships of Dartmouth were the last known brokers to sell her to presumably the present owners.

She was reported to have been in a yard at Glampton on the River Dart for a major refit post 2000.

The yard apparently stripped her back to little more than a hull, an engine and a partial deck frame.

In April of 2003 the work was nearing completion, and it is believed that the intention was to take the boat to the Netherlands.

If anyone can correct or update me on this or any other information about this yacht I would be extremely grateful.

Pertelote

Visit site
Yes, Red Aye, you are correct. The boat was bought by my brother and his wife, Debby, as a lifetime project. They worked on her for a couple of years themselves, alongside various shipwrights. They moved to London so my brother could find work as they were running low on funds, but Deb continued to project manage from there until they had their second child. This prompted a return to Deb's native country, Holland. Having young children slowed things down considerably, but Deb resumed the project management of the boat, and also worked on it herself, once the kids were old enough not to need her full-on attention. Sadly, Deb died last year after a lengthy illness. Pertelote is in dry dock in Leiden and faces an uncertain future. My brother is heartbroken, and Pertelote was their mutual dream. She is almost finished, but needs mast repairs, new sails and a galley. The interior has been fitted out by an Italian carpenter, and is apparently beautifully done. (I have not seen it at the stage it is now, but saw it mid-works and could see what an amazing job was being done on her.)

She needs a new home, so if anyone knows someone who would be interested, please let me know.

You can contact me here: Wild As The Wind

Pertelote

Visit site
I have replied to you in the subsequent comment.
Lloyds List shows the first owner as a Mr HLH Birley until 1979 and then in 1979 a Mr Richard S Fairbairns however Denis Baylis bought her in 1978 and sold her to Doug Miller in 1982.
Doug sold her on some time later to a retired policeman who put her on a mooring in Dartmouth.
When she was sold after that is presently unknown however Wooden Ships of Dartmouth were the last known brokers to sell her to presumably the present owners.

She was reported to have been in a yard at Glampton on the River Dart for a major refit post 2000.

The yard apparently stripped her back to little more than a hull, an engine and a partial deck frame.

In April of 2003 the work was nearing completion, and it is believed that the intention was to take the boat to the Netherlands.

If anyone can correct or update me on this or any other information about this yacht I would be extremely grateful.

Captain Ben

Visit site
Dear all, I am the son of Denis Baylis, who sadly passed away last year. We always wondered where Pertelote ended up after Darmouth.
I am glad she did not go to rot and someone has cared for her, but condolences for your loss (Deb)
I have many great memories of living aboard Pertelote in Lymington and summer cruising in the West Country.
We had world cruising plans, but family issues lead us to sell her to Doug, sadly.
I have since become a master mariner with 37yrs in the mega yacht industry and 23yrs as mega yacht Captain. So Pertelote certainly changed my life somewhat!
I would really be interested in seeing pics of Pertelote and may even be able to help find a new home as I network with a lot of fellow captains.
I can be reached directly at benbaylis@yahoo.com
I also have quite a few old pics of Pertelote if of interest?
Best regards

Pertelote

Visit site
Dear all, I am the son of Denis Baylis, who sadly passed away last year. We always wondered where Pertelote ended up after Darmouth.
I am glad she did not go to rot and someone has cared for her, but condolences for your loss (Deb)
I have many great memories of living aboard Pertelote in Lymington and summer cruising in the West Country.
We had world cruising plans, but family issues lead us to sell her to Doug, sadly.
I have since become a master mariner with 37yrs in the mega yacht industry and 23yrs as mega yacht Captain. So Pertelote certainly changed my life somewhat!
I would really be interested in seeing pics of Pertelote and may even be able to help find a new home as I network with a lot of fellow captains.
I can be reached directly at benbaylis@yahoo.com
I also have quite a few old pics of Pertelote if of interest?
Best regards

Pertelote

Visit site
Hi Ben,

Thank you very much for what you have said in your update. But, I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

On a much brighter note, it truly is heart-warming that so many people who have sailed on her, or who have owned Pertelote, are still interested in her fate, and are actively looking for news of her online.

I'm so glad that you now know of Pertelote's whereabouts, and that she did not get scrapped. I am also very pleased you are perhaps willing, and potentially able, to help find a new home for her through your network of fellow captains. This would be much appreciated., and would provide a very uplifting end to her ongoing saga.

I have forwarded your message to my brother in Holland. Hopefully he will be in touch with you soon.

Again, many thanks,
Rachel.

Jorgevb

Visit site
Yes, Red Aye, you are correct. The boat was bought by my brother and his wife, Debby, as a lifetime project. They worked on her for a couple of years themselves, alongside various shipwrights. They moved to London so my brother could find work as they were running low on funds, but Deb continued to project manage from there until they had their second child. This prompted a return to Deb's native country, Holland. Having young children slowed things down considerably, but Deb resumed the project management of the boat, and also worked on it herself, once the kids were old enough not to need her full-on attention. Sadly, Deb died last year after a lengthy illness. Pertelote is in dry dock in Leiden and faces an uncertain future. My brother is heartbroken, and Pertelote was their mutual dream. She is almost finished, but needs mast repairs, new sails and a galley. The interior has been fitted out by an Italian carpenter, and is apparently beautifully done. (I have not seen it at the stage it is now, but saw it mid-works and could see what an amazing job was being done on her.)

She needs a new home, so if anyone knows someone who would be interested, please let me know.

You can contact me here: Wild As The Wind

Hi, I have interestig in the PERTELOTE I know is in sale today, but I do not get any information from the current owner, Please coul you contact me in jorgevb@ejecutivos.com THX

cocusay

Visit site
hello!
I bought her and I will start refitting ....

See my youtube channel : Porpoise sailboat rebuilt ....for news