Permanently Removing Rev Counter

• Thread starter Deleted member 36384
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36384

Hello,
I could use the space where my engine panel is for an MFD. The only things on the panel that I really use are the Engine and Gearbox Oil Pressure gauges and Engine Temperature gauge. There are two warning lamps as well. The gauges and warning lamps could easily be moved to another remote location, but the elephant in the room is the large rev counter, 6" OD and that would limit remounting locations. So, am thinking of just binning the rev counter. I set engine speed based on physical throttle position (second screw down on housing), sound and boat speed. What do you think, bad idea, any pitfalls?
Thanks,
BlowingOldBoots

James_Calvert

Visit site
Never had one on my Bukh.

I have wondered from time to time what revs make what engine note, anyone know, for a 2 cylinder diesel?

Your fallback method is my primary one.

Anthony C

Visit site
I installed the Tiny Tach on my Bukh 20. You just bolt a sensor on one of the fuel delivery pipes and it counts the injection pulses. Incredibly accurate and useful to check to see if engine will reach maximum rpm under load.

D

Deleted member 36384

Great stuff, thanks for the feedback and ideas, appreciate.

Elessar

Visit site
Hello,
I could use the space where my engine panel is for an MFD. The only things on the panel that I really use are the Engine and Gearbox Oil Pressure gauges and Engine Temperature gauge. There are two warning lamps as well. The gauges and warning lamps could easily be moved to another remote location, but the elephant in the room is the large rev counter, 6" OD and that would limit remounting locations. So, am thinking of just binning the rev counter. I set engine speed based on physical throttle position (second screw down on housing), sound and boat speed. What do you think, bad idea, any pitfalls?
Thanks,
BlowingOldBoots
For £9 you can get a Rev counter for your iPhone that listens to the engine or for free you can get one that uses the phone flash.

That will allow you to check your throttle position or what the engine should sound like every now and again

burgundyben

Visit site
How would you know that the engine isnt overloaded by weed/bit of fishing net?

Surely its important to know that the engine is able to reach max revs?

D

Deleted member 36384

How would you know that the engine isnt overloaded by weed/bit of fishing net?

Surely its important to know that the engine is able to reach max revs?

Not sure but I imagine my Morse control will be in a different position, more advanced, for my target crushing speed. Or is that not how it works?

James_Calvert

Visit site
When we're under engine, the slightest unusual change in note has me on deck in seconds. (Motoring/motor-sailing ideal for a bit of skipper shut-eye. )

And if we're not making the speed expected I'll be popping it into reverse for a few seconds to shake off any weed picked up.

Folding prop. That usually works.

D

Deleted member 36384

A modern MFD will display revs with the appropriate sender. NMEA or something.

That’s a future project. A bit of work involved in interfacing the Perkins 4236 sensors to communicate to NMEA. It doesn’t look too difficult but a bit of expense involved, so not really my focus yet. Thanks for the prompt though.

burgundyben

Visit site
Not sure but I imagine my Morse control will be in a different position, more advanced, for my target crushing speed. Or is that not how it works?

Well yes, that is right. But its pretty crude and still does not tell you if you can reach full revs under load.

Cant be hard to find somewhere else to put the rev counter?

4.236. I ran a pair of 6.354 for many years.

jbweston

Visit site
If you are familiar with your engine (that is, it's not new to you) you should be able to tell at once if it's not operating at normal revs. You won't over-rev a well-maintained diesel. If like mine it has a maximum continuous rev limit lower than the governed maximum the thing to do is just make sure you run it at less than max.

You could practise listening to how it sounds at max continous and all-out max before removing the rev counter if you want to be sure.