perception and run downs

G

A Polish boat was run down off the North Sea coast of Denmark last year and from the sole survivors account it would seem that perception, on the part of the yacht crew, was the main cause.(excluding anything done or not done by the big ship). In many ways the eye is a rather poor optical instrument and much of our sense of vision relies on the brain. We have to learn to see. On the whole we see what we expect to see or, even more dangerous, we see what we want to see. Even if this is nothing. Insurance companies are full of stories of people hitting things that weren't there until hit. In the case of the Polish survivor she said that they had seen the ship but thought from it's lights that it was going away from them, it was only in the seconds before the impact that she realized it was coming towards them. from my own experience I know how difficult it can be "reading" fishing boats at night and trying to decide exactly what they're doing and which direction they're going in, even whether they're small and close or larger and further away. And I've had the same problems in day with "unusual" shaped ships. One of the problems with perception is that we are completely convinced by the brain that we KNOW when in fact we don't know at all. Trying to retain a doubt about what you're "seeing" at all times is very difficult but perhaps it's absolutely necessary.

G

Very good point. All "weekend yachtsmen" lack practice

I know that I do. And it is very very easy to just keep a lazy lookout.

G

I entirely agree. It does take, at times, considerable mental effort to decide which are the navigation lights and what is there significance. Many boats have extra lights in odd colours that are much brighter than the navigation lights. Fishing boats in particular often have working lights so much brighted than the navigation lights that I just cannot detect the navigation ones

G

Especially when tired.

It takes concentration to puzzle out some of the starnge things seen at sea in the hours of darkness. At 3 a.m., in a sleepless condition and, perhaps, with other strange things in the offing, it can be very hard to muster that level of concentration, which can get even worse. I can remember at least a couple of occasions at sea when I have been tired enough to hallucinate (or were they some kind of semi waking dream) - Once, in the Thames estuary - that I was among sunlit green fields. Not good.....

G

Re: Polish yacht

I very much hope that the Polish yacht was not the same one that I met in Borkum (German Frisian islands) last Summer (think it must have been August). Wooden, about 42-45' in length, with about 7-10 people on board, really pleasant group of people.

G

Re: Polish yacht

It might have been, I know nothing about the boat but I think the accident was too early for your people and I think the crew in all was 5

G

Re: Especially when tired.

My best was a yacht with a masthead tri-colour and a pulpit bi-colour not lined up. One moment I was seeing green over green and the next green over red and it was impossible to know his scale. Best hallucination was a full marina in the middle of the Channel after a bit of a blow.