Penton Hook

Mark26

Visit site
Approaching Penton Hook lock from downstream, and taking the channel leading to Penton Hook Marina, there has been a shoal on the starboard side, adjacent with the lock island, which was marked with a bouy all summer.
The bouy recently disappeared. Not knowing if it has gone missing or if the area had been dredged, I had been keeping clear of it. But today I took the corner a little wide, and can confirm the shoal is still there.
I have a 1 metre draught.

Northern Star

Visit site
Yup I got caught out a few years ago and ran aground so tend to avoid it still but it was good for others and the Le Boat charters that it was recently marked.

GAJ52

Visit site
I lost a fender coming out of Penton Hook lock a few years ago and turned right towards the marina and did a right hand 180 to retrieve my fender not realising it was so shallow. End result I hit the shallow ground and ran aground in my 37ft Birchwood, luckily the boat that berths just behind me at Penton was also coming out of the lock and managed after many attempts to tow me clear. I was told by a resident of Laleham Reach this was a regular event and they had reported it many times to the EA without success. I also reported it to the EA and after a few months noticed a green buoy over the shallow area which unfortunately did not stay there very long.

The EA's answer was it was not in the one third of the navigable area of the channel ???

For this fantastic government service I have just, within the last few days been charged £955.00 to continue their excellent service for another year.

Something within our boating community need to be done to end this ridiculous situation where we are paying excessive amounts of money each year for a very poor service. How many times have I gone through Chertsey Lock with no lock keeper, plus many upstream - I rest my case :confused:

Glen

Mark26

Visit site
Hmm, I share your pain. But unfortunately it is a fact that the EA are only charged with maintaining the navigation channel, which is the centre 1/3rd of the river.
We often complain of overhanging trees as well, but alas they too are not the responsibility of the EA but of the landowner on whose land the tree grows.

Northern Star

Visit site
Ha ha they are quite happy to charge us extra for mooring the 1/3 either side of the navigation channel and then get a parking company to totally miss manage it.

I have just been to Laleham for three days but sorry EA I certainly ain't walking or cycling a mile either way to pay you for any extra days if there is no lock keeper on duty to even accept my cash! Deserted at Chertsey and Penton last two months I have been thru and self service is now pretty much everywhere but I do appreciate that the lockies are keeping the river off yellow and red boards as our Hampton Court Xmas cruise approaches.

For into there is also no singage now to indicate that you even have to pay beyond the 24 hours but apart from the gentleman on Winifred I was the only boat there as a lot of the un-named mooring hoggers seem to have all gone back to the canals now or are they all staking their land claims at the Desborough cut or Molesey ?

Parabordi

Visit site
Hmm, I share your pain. But unfortunately it is a fact that the EA are only charged with maintaining the navigation channel, which is the centre 1/3rd of the river.
We often complain of overhanging trees as well, but alas they too are not the responsibility of the EA but of the landowner on whose land the tree grows.
If it is the middle third we actually pay for, I would expect any regatta which is paying nowt, to use the other 2/3 of the river and leave the middle third for the paying customers....

oldgit

Visit site

Gavin E

Visit site
Ha ha they are quite happy to charge us extra for mooring the 1/3 either side of the navigation channel and then get a parking company to totally miss manage it.

I’ll admit that the management of charged moorings could perhaps be improved, but on the whole I’m happy to pay the few quid a night just so the moorings are controlled? In the big scheme of things 24 hrs parking is less than a couple of drinks in a pub, and if nothing else it helps keep boats moving.

I wonder if they could try introducing something in the reading area…. Might even help make it somewhere worth stopping….