Penarth spring tides

jason80369

Visit site
Hello,

My name is Jason and I just have moved to the penarth area and I have got a a boat up in the marina, a Hunter Horizon. My background is mainly lifeboat and power boats up in the the Severn Bridge areas of the Severn estuary, so relatively new to sailing. However I do have an understanding and awareness of the tidal element of the Bristol Channel due to the previous.
I'm after some advice about locking out highwater on a spring tide which is next Saturday about 10am. I haven't got time to run with the tide down to EG Barry and then back up because of work commitments so I've only got a couple of hours. With the spring tide, will I be relatively sheltered from the tidal flow sort of North Cardiff bouy down to the south cardiff bouy area (NOT GOING PAST THE RANIE!!!) and just do some practice sailing and be able to get back in to the lock say about 1/2 pm against the tide.

Much appreciate any advice jason

Snoopy463

Visit site
If you want a 3-4 hour sail I think you’d be better off locking out earlier and taking the flood up channel towards Newport or Portishead and returning on the ebb into the barrage. If you turn around at high tide, it should be plain sailing with no worries about what the tide is doing.

jason80369

Visit site
Hi thx for the reply.
Problem is I can't lock out earlier as I come off nights at 9 and I'm back in work at 1800 hence Im restricted to 1000 to 1400.

Cheers

Jase

38mess

Visit site
Should be ok as long as you don't go near the rannie. You could lock out at high water and sail upto Newport and come back with the ebb and sail back in to Cardiff a few hours later. Have you a good engine and anchour in case the wind dies?

jason80369

Visit site
Hello

Great stuff. Didn't think of that. So punch the tide a bit,before she starts to run too much, up towards Newport then come back down to Cardiff with ebb. Good option. Got the 10 hp yanmar, a good anchor and plenty of chain and warp.

Thanks

Jase

38mess

Visit site
Hello

Great stuff. Didn't think of that. So punch the tide a bit,before she starts to run too much, up towards Newport then come back down to Cardiff with ebb. Good option. Got the 10 hp yanmar, a good anchor and plenty of chain and warp.

Thanks

Jase
Hi Jason, I used to be in more or less the same position as you. A shift worker so plenty of time in the day depending on shift. Before the barrage and after. I just wish I had the energy now?. You should be good for a few hours, plenty of water over the mud. It can get a bit choppy on the ebb depending on wind direction.
Good luck and enjoy

BenMurphy

Visit site
Hi Jason. Hope you're getting on well with her mate :)

With a spring tide you can get some strong flow even inshore, some 2-3 knots. I would second the approach of punching the tide first then taking the ebb back in. You should be able to still make 3-ish knots SOG so you'll make some slow progress up channel before you turn round and head back down like a rocket!

Cheers mate,
Ben

jason80369

Visit site
Haha hi ben,
Boats running a dream. Will plan to take a run up as you suggest on sat weather permitting.

Cheers buddy

Jase