Peel Ports get tough with jet ski - fines and compensation total £3.950

Concerto

Visit site
On 10 December 2020 in Medway Magistrates Court a jet ski rider was convicted of failing to navigate his vessel with the requisite level of care and that he had been in charge of his vessel whilst unfit by reason of drink on 26 April 2020 when he collided with another vessel which sunk and causing serious injury.

Peel Ports gets tough on dangerous boaters

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog
£4,000 is a trifle, enough perhaps to sting one miscreant, but not enough to encourage others toward more responsible behaviour.
But it is promising that the fellow was charged not for being drunk in command, but for failing to navigate..., this begs the question; why was he breathalysed?
I hope this "level of care" will continue to be expected of all river users.

Concerto

Visit site
£4,000 is a trifle, enough perhaps to sting one miscreant, but not enough to encourage others toward more responsible behaviour.
But it is promising that the fellow was charged not for being drunk in command, but for failing to navigate..., this begs the question; why was he breathalysed?
I hope this "level of care" will continue to be expected of all river users.
The police were called as he had struck another vessel, which sank and caused serious injuries on those on the other boat. I believe in a situation like this it is normal practice to breathalyse as any delay could loose evidence of alcohol taking. Knowing that most jet skis, virtually all on the Medway, are towed to and from their launching sites means he would also have not been fit to drive. If he had driven, then he would have lost his driving licence. So on reflection, he got off lightly in my opinion as he has kept his driving licence.

johnalison

Visit site
Should’ve been jailed. That’s soft. Not tough.
It sounds as if it was only not manslaughter because none of those injured died. There are obviously charges for injuring someone by assault, but is there any offence that can be committed when injury is the result of recklessness without deliberate intent to harm?

Dogone

Visit site
It sounds as if it was only not manslaughter because none of those injured died. There are obviously charges for injuring someone by assault, but is there any offence that can be committed when injury is the result of recklessness without deliberate intent to harm?
Good question. You can be jailed for dangerous driving when no one is killed or even involved. There are some stiff comparable marine laws. Maybe a sort of loophole.

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog
The police were called as he had struck another vessel, which sank and caused serious injuries on those on the other boat. I believe in a situation like this it is normal practice to breathalyse as any delay could loose evidence of alcohol taking. Knowing that most jet skis, virtually all on the Medway, are towed to and from their launching sites means he would also have not been fit to drive. If he had driven, then he would have lost his driving licence. So on reflection, he got off lightly in my opinion as he has kept his driving licence.

I didn't mean to say that being drunk in command is not bad, only that it wasn't the offence prosecuted.
Surely wreckless, offensive and dangerous behaviour should be punished regardless of intoxication, and the burden of proof that entails

tillergirl

Visit site
On a slightly different tack, I have always had a lisp. It's on account that the tip of my tongue cannot reach the top of my mouth they say. I learnt hundreds of ditties to practice 64 years ago, the most difficult one was: 'the ragged ruffian repeatedly ran round the rugged rocks'. It was probably the only ditty I could say properly in the end. And now today, I finally I have had a genuine excuse to say it wright out loud.

And it wasn't the best that we lived at Rodney Road. I cursed that Nottingham Bus clippie, oh how I cursed her; when getting unusually on a Trent Bridge I asked for a half to Rodney Road. She said 'we don't go any Wodney Road'. Oh how I cursed her. ?? And my parents named me Roger ?

PS: how many of you managed to touch the top of your mouth with the tip of your tongue?

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi Roger,

Doesn't present a problem for me.

Just be grateful that you weren't born in Spain, where the r sound is pretty strong, but the double rr is positively rolled as in perro (dog). As a Spsaniard once said to me, it's necessary so it can be distinguished from pero (but).

Peter.

tillergirl

Visit site
GrandDad was a Spaniard. I am told the surname means 'keeper of the gold'. Unfortunately Grand Dad........ I better stop there.

Ah ' Dos Pewwo caliente, pour favor' (Two hot dogs please).

johnalison

Visit site
On a slightly different tack, I have always had a lisp. It's on account that the tip of my tongue cannot reach the top of my mouth they say. I learnt hundreds of ditties to practice 64 years ago, the most difficult one was: 'the ragged ruffian repeatedly ran round the rugged rocks'. It was probably the only ditty I could say properly in the end. And now today, I finally I have had a genuine excuse to say it wright out loud.

And it wasn't the best that we lived at Rodney Road. I cursed that Nottingham Bus clippie, oh how I cursed her; when getting unusually on a Trent Bridge I asked for a half to Rodney Road. She said 'we don't go any Wodney Road'. Oh how I cursed her. ?? And my parents named me Roger ?

PS: how many of you managed to touch the top of your mouth with the tip of your tongue?
I can't conceive of not being able to reach all parts of my mouth with my tongue, or even of foreigners' difficulty with 'th'. These days it seems that a speech impediment is the prime qualification for being a comedial, so maybe there is a career there for you.

My childhood was haunted by the difficulty of communicating with Mrs Smith at the sweet shop who had a cleft palate. My request for two ounces of some boiled sweet would be answered with something like "igg ghheer enggyghhing eghhsh youu wonggg?". When I had graduated to using the local garage, the owner/mechanic/pump attendant had the same affliction.

johnalison

Visit site
You can be jailed for causing death by dangerous driving, even though you had no intent to kill.
As Dogone says, there are laws that cover motoring offences, but in other realms I don't know how things stand. If I were stupid enough to knock a golf ball around my tiny garden and one shot out and injured a passer-by, I could obviously be sued by them. I don't though know what specific law I would have broken in my 'wreckless' behaviour.

PilotWolf

Visit site
I stuttered as a kid and went to speech therapy which eventually ‘cured’ it.

Was teased even then.

If you chose to use it to your advantage for comedy or whatever that’s your choice but no one else had any right to do so.

PW

johnalison

Visit site
I stuttered as a kid and went to speech therapy which eventually ‘cured’ it.

Was teased even then.

If you chose to use it to your advantage for comedy or whatever that’s your choice but no one else had any right to do so.

PW
There was a boy in my 6th form with a terrible stammer. Unfortunately, he was called Whitmarsh, which didn't help at all when asked to say his name. My dig was at the current batch of comedians, who are mostly incomprehensible to me.

PilotWolf

Visit site
There was a boy in my 6th form with a terrible stammer. Unfortunately, he was called Whitmarsh, which didn't help at all when asked to say his name. My dig was at the current batch of comedians, who are mostly incomprehensible to me.

I know the UK humour is unique.

But likewise I fail to find 99%of so called comedians here are not in the least funny to me.

Some shows are OK but stand up type no way.

W.