Passage Planning Tyne - Dover

Daydream believer

Visit site
The last time I went through they were dredging. They had scraped mud towards the lock & the lock keeper said that they were waiting to open the lock for a short time to get max flow to wash the mud out. We were to wait 30 mins then we would get the all clear. By that time it was a simple exit, We were further told that the gates would only be opened for a very short while thereafter. So perhaps the posts above are referring to situations when the gates have just been opened,; when the tide levels have not quite balanced. It is quite a big area to fill. The other 2 times there was little flow to note.

I would rather go through on free flow. The 4th time i went through it was midnight at very low water. I just managed to get across the sands to the approach & , because I could not see the gates against the background, the keeper guided me left & right. I really thought I was going to hit the sea wall !!. Once in I had to hold 2 vertical lines which were not secured at the bottom. Being single handed, I had difficulty securing the boat which just swung back & forth on them. the lock keeper could have helped by opening the gates a bit slowly, but no. I had a hell of a problem with the boat going all over the place. On top of that I was charged a tenner for the pleasure !!!

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
It's best to wait a minute after they've opened the gates, to let it calm down, or you can be shoved sideways by swirling currents.

hinch

Visit site
I have been through the Grimsby lock 3 times in free flow. On my first visit they made me wait for 1 hour for free flow because of all the wind farm traffic needing to use the locks. Are you saying that no longer applies?

every time i've tried going its been open on request if they do free it must be around HW only as normally its 3h either side of HW on radio call / free of charge and anything outside of that is £20 (unless they've changed pricing now) in a MB its only 30 mins further down to Hull much easier to get into considerably cheaper too

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
every time i've tried going its been open on request if they do free it must be around HW only as normally its 3h either side of HW on radio call / free of charge and anything outside of that is £20 (unless they've changed pricing now) in a MB its only 30 mins further down to Hull much easier to get into considerably cheaper too
I'm surprised that Hull Marina is cheaper than the HCC in the Fish Docks.

PilotWolf

Visit site
How is Grmsby itself now? Last few times I was there it lived up to its name! There wasn’t a great choice of restaurants either.

The yacht club was friendly but in those days the bar was run by members so wasn’t guaranteed to be open.

Heed the comments on the lock!!!

Stay well back if inside the basin until it settles down. I was in a reasonable size and powered boat and it almost caught me out.

The approach to the lock from the river used to be a bit hit and miss with lots of mud banks.

Again it was a while ago but there were lots of services and suppliers at commercial costs rather than inflated leisure ones.

Wells Bar can be ‘interesting’ - I worked out of there for several months, driving RIBS. I understand that it’s much easier once inside now as they’ve straightened the channel to the town quay out.

There were some food pubs and restaurants there . Could be a bit touristy and had the typical seaside tack shops. The chandlers there was reasonable and the owner always helpful.

W.

hinch

Visit site
I'm surprised that Hull Marina is cheaper than the HCC in the Fish Docks.

from a 1 night visitor point of view they're near enough the same couple of quid difference i guess but hull is much nicer and has (when allowed nicer pubs on site) and a couple of really nice eateries + easier to get in / out of :)

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
from a 1 night visitor point of view they're near enough the same couple of quid difference i guess but hull is much nicer and has (when allowed nicer pubs on site) and a couple of really nice eateries + easier to get in / out of :)
It's definitely on my list of places to visit. Also Barton possibly.

hinch

Visit site
It's definitely on my list of places to visit. Also Barton possibly.

depending on your size and type there's a few nice little bolt holes that a small motor boat or small yacht can get into ferriby is nice a lot dry though but surprisingly the humber isn't as crappy as everyone thinks its just brown and busy.

Daydream believer

Visit site
How is Grmsby itself now? Last few times I was there it lived up to its name! There wasn’t a great choice of restaurants either.
The yacht club was friendly but in those days the bar was run by members so wasn’t guaranteed to be open.
There were some food pubs and restaurants there . Could be a bit touristy and had the typical seaside tack shops. The chandlers there was reasonable and the owner always helpful.
Whoever put the Grim in Grimsby knew what they were doing. Really friendly yacht club though. I was sitting by the bar when they were having a committee meeting & could not help thinking that I was in my own club with all the same issues. People not paying, not turning up when they said they would. Some people saying they were upset by others comments. Wondering what social events to run to get people to come, How to get members. How to get people interested in racing etc etc

But as for restaurants-- You must be kidding unless you mean kebab shops & pizza bars with partly boarded up windows. The newspaper shop had " only one teenager at a time " notice on the ply panel over the concealed glass shop front. The concrete areas round the crumbling dock had grass growing through them.
I saw 3 lots of fights/arguments on my way to the high street. The bridge over the railway took me back to the old films of Dixon of Dock Green era - the ones where a youth gets a gun & shoots a copper & runs off over a bridge & the police car is a Wolseley with a bell.

I had to go back again because I could not believe it the first time round; in fact I put it on the itinerary for our club's east coast 2020 cruise but poor weather scotched it.
Grimsby YC
Grimsby.JPG

Last edited:

PilotWolf

Visit site
Whoever put the Grim in Grimsby knew what they were doing. Really friendly yacht club though. I was sitting by the bar when they were having a committee meeting & could not help thinking that I was in my own club with all the same issues. People not paying, not turning up when they said they would. Some people saying they were upset by others comments. Wondering what social events to run to get people to come, How to get members. How to get people interested in racing etc etc

But as for restaurants-- You must be kidding unless you mean kebab shops & pizza bars with partly boarded up windows. The newspaper shop had " only one teenager at a time " notice on the ply panel over the concealed glass shop front. The concrete areas round the crumbling dock had grass growing through them.
I saw 3 lots of fights/arguments on my way to the high street. The bridge over the railway took me back to the old films of Dixon of Dock Green era - the ones where a youth gets a gun & shoots a copper & runs off over a bridge & the police car is a Wolseley with a bell.

I had to go back again because I could not believe it the first time round; in fact I put it on the itinerary for our club's east coast 2020 cruise but poor weather scotched it.

I think you’re agreeing with me? Sounds like noting has changed! The wind farm boats were just starting to move in when I was last there. I thought they might bring on some local improvements but soo d it’s not the case.

We found one good Chinese but that was all. I was referring to Wells when I said there were some nice restaurants.

Of course theres always Cleethorpes for a
night out ;)

W.

hinch

Visit site
Of course theres always Cleethorpes for a
night out ;)

that would probably depend on how many diseases you want to catch between entering pub no1 and leaving pub no1.
when I got the boat I looked at HCA at grimsby fish dock and hull marina, I went to visit both and it was a completely obvious choice not to mention the price grimsby is lets say expensive to become a member if you even get accepted then with the stipends etc it gets very very very expensive. I can berth for 5 years at hull before i match year 1 at grimsby then in hull i'm slap bang city centre and the main night out / eatery area humber street and there's the deep up 200m away for a nice day out. it adds 30-40 mins ish each way to my journey so not even that impactful.

if you need a bolt hole use grimsby or are just overnighting on a journey up and down the coast go for it. if you're staying longer consider hull.

If you have a generator/don't need to fuel stop/ i'd spend the night on the hook at spurn rather than go into the docks anyway then you're not restricted by tides, traffic or locks.

Just some thoughts from a local :)

PilotWolf

Visit site
that would probably depend on how many diseases you want to catch between entering pub no1 and leaving pub no1.
when I got the boat I looked at HCA at grimsby fish dock and hull marina, I went to visit both and it was a completely obvious choice not to mention the price grimsby is lets say expensive to become a member if you even get accepted then with the stipends etc it gets very very very expensive. I can berth for 5 years at hull before i match year 1 at grimsby then in hull i'm slap bang city centre and the main night out / eatery area humber street and there's the deep up 200m away for a nice day out. it adds 30-40 mins ish each way to my journey so not even that impactful.

if you need a bolt hole use grimsby or are just overnighting on a journey up and down the coast go for it. if you're staying longer consider hull.

If you have a generator/don't need to fuel stop/ i'd spend the night on the hook at spurn rather than go into the docks anyway then you're not restricted by tides, traffic or locks.

Just some thoughts from a local :)

We just operated out of there for a few weeks.

The but about Cleethorpes was a joke - but one I had guessed only locals would get.

W

Other threads that may be of interest