Panic Button

penfold

Visit site
Sounds like you benefited from too much stability there; wiping out in 50kts with the spinny sheets cleated wouldn't have been fun.
On a Harwich to Ostend race, we started with 15 knots of true wind speed from the NW and the course was exactly SE. We started with full main and spinnaker and by half was across we had passed the largest boat in the fleet, a Nich 43 that had started 15 mintes ahead of us. By this time the log was stuck on 10 knots and the the wind speed indicator was stuck on 48 knots. We were estimated to to be planing at 14 to 16 knots, but we had the kite cleated and had 3 out of the crew of 5 on the helm. The skeg was removed over the following winter.

Concerto

Visit site
Sounds like you benefited from too much stability there; wiping out in 50kts with the spinny sheets cleated wouldn't have been fun.
It was not, we put the mast in the water as we hit the banks off Ostend and the waves steepened. Being the foredeck crew, I had to stand on the pulpit and stretch to reach the snapshackle on the guy. No fun at all and no safety harness! Once we soughted out the chaos, I was over ruled in setting the heavy weight star cut. Ended up coming second overall out of over 70 yachts, the winner in a Hustler 25.5 was none other than Richard Matthews who later started Oyster Marine.

Blubelle

Visit site
No, the keel was never taken off. When the mast was raised the boat still did not make the half ton rating of 21.7ft, but we decided against having the lead shoe added to keel. All of the Solent based Nich 30's did and this increased the draft by about 2" IIRC. Campers wanted us to race ours against the Solent boats to see the difference, but we were too commotted to the EAORA circuit. When she was built she also had a full depth skeg on the rudder and this made it too directionally stable. On a Harwich to Ostend race, we started with 15 knots of true wind speed from the NW and the course was exactly SE. We started with full main and spinnaker and by half was across we had passed the largest boat in the fleet, a Nich 43 that had started 15 mintes ahead of us. By this time the log was stuck on 10 knots and the the wind speed indicator was stuck on 48 knots. We were estimated to to be planing at 14 to 16 knots, but we had the kite cleated and had 3 out of the crew of 5 on the helm. The skeg was removed over the following winter.
Wow sounds awesome :) yes she is a very capable sea boat and hopefully when you are round this way you can get to sail her again. I found a picture on the boat of a family its an old polaroid might belong to you !! if it is then i will return it to you when you visit.

Concerto

Visit site
I cannot remeber ever having a Polaroid taken of the family, so unlikely to be us.

Somewhere I have a couple of professional photos of Mumeskara under sail. Once I have located them, I will scan them so I can send you digital copies. I may have a few other photos as well, but not many.

As soon as you make another post, I will be able to send you a Private Message with my contact details. The round Britain is still on the cards for next year, so I would love to meet up.

If you are going to visit the Southampton Boat Show, then Concerto, my Fulmar, will be at the show as the Westerly Owners Association boat and I am staying on board for the duration.

Blubelle

Visit site
I will scan the Polaroid and do likewise ? I have no plans for Southampton but will defo make time for when you do your UK tour ⛵