Panic Button

Concerto

Visit site
I can remember when my late parents bought a Nicholson 30 and was being exhibited at the Earls Court London Boat Show. It was supposed to rate as a half tonner but the rating on the first boat came out too low, so they increased the mast by 2½ feet. As we raced as a family, my mother casually said it sounded a bit like the new boat was going to be a mummy scarer. Well that sorted the the name as Mumeskara. Back to the show on opening day. The B&G instruments were fixed either side of the companionway, 3 to starboard and 2 to port. Whilst perusing the chandlers up on the balcony, we spotted a self adhesive Panic Button. We rushed back down to the boat and had to argue with the staff on the stand as they did not think it was "quite" right to fix it to the boat. My father just said it was his boat and it was going under the port instruments. Later the staff did say it caused so much amusement as lots of visitors would try and secretly press the button to see what happened.

Last edited:

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
It’s more fun than “Spare” ;)

When I was a small child, one of my dad’s friends had a van with a non-functional switch on the dash which he’d labelled “Takeoff”. When he was transporting us kids around, he’d always flip it before accelerating out onto the main road.

Pete
Sounds like the "Overdrive" switch in my MG-B GT (decades ago)...

dankilb

Visit site
The Airbus had quite enough scary alarms without the need to add any extras!
More new generation GA aircraft are fitted with a sort-of panic button, which returns to straight and level (or even auto land)... not quite sure how it works in practice, as never could afford to fly a Cirrus!

prv

Visit site
More new generation GA aircraft are fitted with a sort-of panic button, which returns to straight and level (or even auto land)... not quite sure how it works in practice, as never could afford to fly a Cirrus!

I‘ve seen a system like this by Garmin. Very impressive.

Marketing spiel:

Slightly more in depth sponsored review:

Pete

Stemar

Visit site
I think this is what I'd want the panic button on my light aircraft to do
BW5WIX7G25XKNDM2MNETX74RWI.jpg

dankilb

Visit site
I think this is what I'd want the panic button on my light aircraft to do
BW5WIX7G25XKNDM2MNETX74RWI.jpg
The Cirrus have that too!

The ‘land me’ panic button is above the pilot’s head (I think this is only on the new ‘Vision’ jet):
115.jpg

While the ballistic parachute handle is - sensibly - ergonomically very different from any other controls!
SR22T_VH-YDA_BANKSTOWN_13JULY2013_SETH-JAWORSKI-4_1170_.jpg

[edit - images didn't appear so huge on my phone!?]

Last edited:

James_Calvert

Visit site
Talking of ergonomics, in the panel of the original post, having gas next to the tricolour doesn't seem a great idea.

Shouldn't gas be a tap rather than a switch anyway?

I'd be a bit miffed if someone turned off the cooker at the wrong moment when messing around with the nav lights...