Painting Hulls above the waterline

Tinto

Visit site
Hi all
I am still looking for a boat but there isn’t
Much about at the moment so I am looking at older boats(late 80’s).

I am finding some have had their hull above the waterline painted. I expect that means no more gel coat and therefore would I be right in saying that painting is the short term cheap option and long term expensive option since it won’t have the longevity of gel coat and will look a bit naff pretty quickly?

Tranona

Visit site
Hi all

I am finding some have had their hull above the waterline painted. I expect that means no more gel coat and therefore would I be right in saying that painting is the short term cheap option and long term expensive option since it won’t have the longevity of gel coat and will look a bit naff pretty quickly?
Rather sweeping assumptions. There is painting and painting and indeed many reasons why the hull was painted. Many top class boats are painted from new, and many good older boats have been painted using one of the high class painting systems available. Equally other boats are painted to cover poor gel coat (common with dark colours for example) or to cover up damage or defects and may not be well done.

As with anything when looking at used boats you have to consider what it is and if it has been painted, find out why and how and if necessary get professional advice on the quality of the work and how durable it might be.

srm

Visit site
I am finding some have had their hull above the waterline painted. I expect that means no more gel coat

Not sure what you mean by "no more gel coat". Perhaps you are getting confused with the "osmosis" treatment where the gel coat is removed, grp layup made good, then epoxy filling and coating, but this work is below the waterline.

My boat was painted from new over the white gel coat using two pack paint, presumably because the owner wanted something a bit different to the AWB look. There is a large, expensive, grp boat in our marina that is also painted, presumably for the same reason.
Good two pack paint work can get scuffed and abraded as can gel coat. How long either surface stays blemish free depends on care and usage.

I did come across an older boat that had the topsides painted and this was obviously being removed by the fenders. The owner lamented having used a single pot paint for the job.

Last edited:

The Q

Visit site
My boat was hand built, so didn't come out of a mould.. Therefore I was painting a topcoat this last weekend..

srm

Visit site
Oh dear, my last post disappeared while editing.

I am finding some have had their hull above the waterline painted. I expect that means no more gel coat
Not sure what you mean by "no more gel coat". Perhaps you are getting confused with the 'osmosis' treatment where the gel coat is removed, lay up made good then epoxy filler and coating, but this is normally below the waterline.

My boat had the topsides painted from new, over a white gel coat, with hard two pack paint. I assume that the owner wanted something different to the AWB appearance. Likewise there is one, possibly two, large, expensive, well maintained, boat in our marina with painted topsides.

I did come across an older boat that had been refitted including painted topsides. The owner lamented having used single pack paint as the fenders were gently taking the topsides back to the gel coat.

Tinto

Visit site
I don’t know a huge amount about what’s “normal” in production hence the question. Thanks for the info. I have heard of some painting their hulls with awlgrip which doesn’t sound like it would give a good looking finish.

Bajansailor

Visit site
@Tinto can you post a few photos of your boat for reference please?

I have heard of some painting their hulls with awlgrip which doesn’t sound like it would give a good looking finish.

On the contrary, Awlgrip can give a beautiful finish provided that the person who is doing it does it properly.
It is relatively expensive stuff, but it is good stuff for topsides.

Lightwave395

Visit site
I don’t know a huge amount about what’s “normal” in production hence the question. Thanks for the info. I have heard of some painting their hulls with awlgrip which doesn’t sound like it would give a good looking finish.

I had my boat topsides resprayed in dark blue Awlgrip 5 years ago, it was expensive yes, but it still looks fantastic now and whereas previously I had to machine compound the gel coat and re-wax the topsides pretty much every year I now just need to give it a wash and apply a surface polish with relatively minimal effort.
My only criticism of Awlgrip was the difficulty (and expense) touching up any scratches or chips, however a trip to the local car body shop supplies company seems to have solved that,

jwilson

Visit site
Most ultra-glossy superyachts are painted with Awlgrip. New GRP on it's own isn't shiny enough when you are a billionaire. I had a damaged blue GRP hull spray painted in Awlgrip 30 years ago and it looked better than new afterwards. Fortunately the insurer paid.

I also once brush painted GRP myself with International two-pack, but did it outdoors too late in the day. It failed to cure leaving the surface sticky. Horrible and slow job getting it off and redoing, this time with Awlgrip, which had slightly less stringent curing condition requirements than the International product. Even with a brush you can (if you are a decent painter) get a good finish.

Many new production boats are offered with blue or other coloured hulls as an optional extra, but they just build white ones and spray them with Awlgrip or similar two-packs for those who want them.

Littlealexander

Visit site
Hi all

Hi Tinto,

I’ve worked in professional yachting including marine paint application for a number of years. Depending on product, paint these days is a great way to go. If you can’t spray, rolling and tipping can provide a phenomenal result. Personally I’ve used awl grip and awl craft, it is worth hiring someone if you want a factory finish, but if your careful with measurements, take the time with prep and invest in a good finishing brush, you’ll be able to paint glass with long lasting results.
Hope that helps, R

ClydeJr

Visit site
I've purchased a boat that has flaking above the waterline
I tried wetsanding & of course I went past the point of no return in a couple areas & now need to repaint
I can't honestly find the proper instructions on how to wetsand off the whole area, prep surface & repaint
This peeling stuff just won't come off with any tips I've been given including industrial strength floor stripper, lacquer thinner & now the wetsanding
I really want to wetsand off the peeling top coat & paint in this area & repaint
Advice?
I was going to start a new thread but this group seems knowledgeable
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20220510_154000.jpg
    20220510_154000.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220510_130123_HDR~4.jpg
    20220510_130123_HDR~4.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220510_130123_HDR~3.jpg
    20220510_130123_HDR~3.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 12

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I have a blotchy pink boat. Once every couple of years I have a red boat for a few weeks. It was awlgrip painted by a very expensive boatyard for the last owner nine years ago.

When I had a teak planked wooden boat I used to compare notes with my regular yard neighbour who had a newish GRP boat. I used to reckon I spent less time and effort rubbing down and painting with Epifanes every year than he did waxing and polishing.

I am now sure of that fact.

bignick

Visit site
I've purchased a boat that has flaking above the waterline
I tried wetsanding & of course I went past the point of no return in a couple areas & now need to repaint
I can't honestly find the proper instructions on how to wetsand off the whole area, prep surface & repaint
This peeling stuff just won't come off with any tips I've been given including industrial strength floor stripper, lacquer thinner & now the wetsanding
I really want to wetsand off the peeling top coat & paint in this area & repaint
Advice?
I was going to start a new thread but this group seems knowledgeable
Thanks in advance
Have a look at “boat works today” on YouTube.
There is lots of advice on grp work, painting etc.
One of the best YouTube sites there is.
Actually, he has a website with a menu system…

Videos | Boatworks Today

Last edited:

blush2

Visit site
I have a blotchy pink boat. Once every couple of years I have a red boat for a few weeks. It was awlgrip painted by a very expensive boatyard for the last owner nine years ago.

When I had a teak planked wooden boat I used to compare notes with my regular yard neighbour who had a newish GRP boat. I used to reckon I spent less time and effort rubbing down and painting with Epifanes every year than he did waxing and polishing.

I am now sure of that fact.
Blush was painted with awlgrip much the same colour as Kukri. After about five years the hull returns at the edge of the deck had faded to very light pink and the rest of the hull was looking tired. We got a couple more years out of it by using polytrol which was pretty easy to apply.

She was repainted by brush by a professional painter using International Perfection two part. Preparation was mostly done by us outside but she went inside for the painting. Three years on (touch wood) it still looks good.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Blush was painted with awlgrip much the same colour as Kukri. After about five years the hull returns at the edge of the deck had faded to very light pink and the rest of the hull was looking tired. We got a couple more years out of it by using polytrol which was pretty easy to apply.

She was repainted by brush by a professional painter using International Perfection two part. Preparation was mostly done by us outside but she went inside for the painting. Three years on (touch wood) it still looks good.

Thanks!