Pacemaker 21

Doublesix

Visit site
I’ve just bought a Pacemaker 21. I’m keen to know if there are any other seaworthy 21s still out there? Also keen to know if there is any more info out there beyond the knowledge Charles Lawrence has shared in his Pacemaker book. I’d quite like to know the weight in order to spec a trailer.

Attachments

• 636D0C1E-AEF9-4326-B216-849DB4A6D7FA.jpeg
    636D0C1E-AEF9-4326-B216-849DB4A6D7FA.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 426501D9-EAD4-435C-ABCC-C20C5DC178DD.jpeg
    426501D9-EAD4-435C-ABCC-C20C5DC178DD.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 44

burgundyben

Visit site
The chap on pistonheads is Andrew Hawley, his step father built them.

He says a Malcolm Darche might know more, apparently he was an apprentice at Port Hamble.

This info is 5 years old.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
There is a chap with one who is a member of The Thames Vintage Boat Club.
If you contacted them they could maybe put you in touch with him.
Also there was one for sale recently at the Norfolk Yacht Agency who might know something.

Doublesix

Visit site
There is a chap with one who is a member of The Thames Vintage Boat Club.
If you contacted them they could maybe put you in touch with him.
Also there was one for sale recently at the Norfolk Yacht Agency who might know something.
Thank you for your reply, the Thames vintage boat club is a useful “lead”. I’ll follow that up.
The one at Norfolk Yacht Agency will be gone next week ... it’s the one I have bought ?.

Andy Zarse

Visit site
Delighted to see another Pacemaker off to a good home! My stepfather David Simmonds would be very pleased,. Despite being a wooden sailing yacht man at heart he always held a soft spot for this series which he penned all those years ago. If you get her seaworthy I'd love to come and have a look, I have never really got up close and personal with one.

As you know, Charles Lawrence is the authority on these boats, i understand he has republished his book I think with some new information.

Unfortunately my stepfather passed away a few years ago. He lost his entire archive in a house fire 30 years ago. So I really have nothing new to add. The only other person to speak to would be Malcolm Darch who was one of my step father's apprentices at Port Hamble. He is one of the world's foremost ship model makers and is incredible to talk to as he's a font of nautical knowledge but I don't know to what extent it runs to Pacemaker. Let me know if you want to speak to him, I can put you in touch.

Off the Scale: At Home with Master Modeler Malcolm Darch

Doublesix

Visit site
Thank you for your reply, the Thames vintage boat club is a useful “lead”. I’ll follow that up.
The one at Norfolk Yacht Agency will be gone next week ... it’s the one I have bought ?.
I found a picture of a Pacemaker on the TVBC - it’s a Pacemaker Princess 19, there are a few of those still floating.

Last edited:

Doublesix

Visit site
Delighted to see another Pacemaker off to a good home! My stepfather David Simmonds would be very pleased,. Despite being a wooden sailing yacht man at heart he always held a soft spot for this series which he penned all those years ago. If you get her seaworthy I'd love to come and have a look, I have never really got up close and personal with one.

As you know, Charles Lawrence is the authority on these boats, i understand he has republished his book I think with some new information.

Unfortunately my stepfather passed away a few years ago. He lost his entire archive in a house fire 30 years ago. So I really have nothing new to add. The only other person to speak to would be Malcolm Darch who was one of my step father's apprentices at Port Hamble. He is one of the world's foremost ship model makers and is incredible to talk to as he's a font of nautical knowledge but I don't know to what extent it runs to Pacemaker. Let me know if you want to speak to him, I can put you in touch.

Off the Scale: At Home with Master Modeler Malcolm Darch
Thank you for the reply, it’s nice to find a connection to the past. The fire that you mention is also covered in Charles’ book which as you say, has likely destroyed all records of the class. .

When I looked over the boat at the beginning of April the brokers struggled to get it started after it was launched, but eventually did get both engines going. We motored out of the Marina and up the river but unfortunately the excitement was short lived as one engine stopped before we opened her up and then after returning to the pontoon for more fuel, we could get neither started.

The boat is being moved on Wednesday to Peter Leonard Marine in Newhaven. Peter Leonard senior has some knowledge of the Pacemakers and is keen to cast his eye over it and have a look at the motors to see if there is a quick fix for this season. Longer term it may be a re-engine project.

Doublesix

Visit site
The owner of the Pacemaker in the TVBC is our current commodore Patrick Prince. I'll alert him to this discussion.
Charles Lawrence also passed on his details (with Patrick’s permission of course). I have tried calling hi, but didn’t get a reply. will try again.

Crash Coombes

Visit site
Hi, I have read this thread with great interest although my Pacemaker was the 19 version and was often to be seen on the Norfolk broads with my wife and I enjoying its versatility. I found this old girl in a field in Blakeney , Norfolk and although she was very badly rotten in places I took my time and re built her over the next fourteen months. I have a full photographic history of this and a photocopy of the original sales leaflet. We had nine years of fantastic fun with this boat but was forced to sell her in 2007 because of my ill health. I have since tried to find her but to no avail. She was named Snow Goose then and was in a dark blue livery with mahogany varnish. Fond memories!! Photos available if anyone’s interested.

Doublesix

Visit site
The Pacemaker has now been moved from Norfolk to Newhaven by John Heward from WMS, a lovely chap who took great care of her and sent a number pictures at various points showing the boat being safely trailered 190 miles to Peter Leonard Marine. They are going to make their best efforts to get the engines up and running.

A little bit about the history of the boat from the last ten years that I have managed to put together since receiving all the boat’s paperwork. She was sold by Andrew Rosthorn of Coburg Brokers in 2011 as an unfinished project. Mr Rosthorn recalls that the boat had been owned by a Mr Wilkinson for a long period but never finished, and by “never finished” it was claimed that the boat had been originally sold as “hull only” - I’m not sure how true that is. Anyway, it pops up next being registered to a Mr Gillett in Jersey in March 2014, and sold by the same person to the Norfolk Yacht Agency in 2015. They finally sold it at the beginning of 2020 but the new owner had a change of mind and never took delivery : it was subsequently sold to me a few weeks ago, thus having spent 6 years with the NYA.

I’d be keen to hear from Andy Zarse again who has a contact that worked at Port Hamble. I’d like to find out if any P21s were actually sold as hull only. It is almost incredible to think that the boat may have only spent one year of its life on the water.BD763E24-B572-4428-9D39-F4E1121EF165.jpeg37D467AB-78AF-4A14-B3DC-1E107533FCF6.jpegAA9ABD6D-866C-46E3-9997-B97DC4E9E5DD.jpegA8C19981-2E83-40EC-A543-6A804943068F.jpeg

Doublesix

Visit site
Here are some videos of testing carried out last week. I wonder when the last time a Pacemaker 21 was up on the plane? … Or indeed when one was last running?

After Peter Leonard Marine stripped and rebuilt both engines there was an issue with the ignition systems. I think I have remedied the problems with the replacement of both ignition coils and ignition switches. Some cautious runs, not venturing too far from the harbour were carried out, thankfully successfully last week with all seeming to go well. Having discussed engine compartment ventilation with Peter Leonard senior, I ran with the engine hatch slightly open to improve the air quality being delivered to the engines. Some additional grilles are required on the fwd bulkhead and possibly a fan (sucking or blowing is an entirely separate debate!).
Pacemaker testing 24 Sept (1)
Pacemaker testing (2)
Pacemaker testing 24 Sept (3)

Last edited:
Reactions: SP2

Doublesix

Visit site
Brilliant! Well done.

We'd be delighted to see you and the boat at next years Cowes Classic Powerboat Rally, August bank holiday.

Did you let Andy Zarse know?
Not yet but I suppose I ought to let Andy know. The Powerboat rally would be a bit of a tall order as I’d have to get it trailed to Portsmouth and then be more reliant (than the bigger boats) on the weather on getting across the Solent.

As ever, there is an open invite to ANYONE who is interested that wants to come and visit the boat, and season and weather permitting to get out on the water on her. I would be delighted to meet other like-minded people... Just ask.

Andy Zarse

Visit site
Hi Doublesix, this is absolutely wonderful! How steady and graceful she looks in the water, not getting tossed in the air like a plastic tub! Really would love to come and see her, where is she now? Still in Newhaven?

Best
Andy

Other threads that may be of interest