Oyster 406

auditdata

www.sephina.org
As a new owner of an Oyster 406 I have spent the buying period searching the web for details of the Oyster 406 prior to the purchase. I have been surprised by the lack of posts, forums or websites for what I consider is now rapidly becoming a classic boat. I know from the history section of the Oyster Brokerage that 35 of these 'live aboard' blue water cruising boats were built between 1986 and 1990 however very little else appears to be around apart from the usual “boats for sale” postings.
Assuming no complete “write offs” there are 34 of you out there who between you have a wealth of knowledge of this marque. I am about to refit mine for a circumnavigation and would welcome tapping into and sharing your experience. I am happy to host photos of layouts, refits, best ways to add a generator etc etc.
I have a number of burning questions but will see if I am just talking to myself first! :confused:
Clive
Wales, UK

Last edited:

auditdata

www.sephina.org
Thanks

Yep just done that. Hope I get some replies. So far I have identified 4 out of the 34. Sephina, Beluga, Sundays Child and Boysterous. Only 30 to go!!!

pvb

Visit site
Oyster Brokerage suggested here that 35 were built. So 31 to go, except that Gerda is another one to add to your list, so still only 30 to find. There's one on the Orwell too, but I can't remember the name.

markleuty

Visit site
Yep just done that. Hope I get some replies. So far I have identified 4 out of the 34. Sephina, Beluga, Sundays Child and Boysterous. Only 30 to go!!!

As it was first on your list, can I conclude that it was Sephina that you have just taken ownership of?

Mark

pvb

Visit site
OK, remembered the one in the Orwell, it's Cooktown Orchid. And a few more names for you... Selkie Dancer in Scotland, First Light in Australia, Rapaz, Blue Boojum, Lucy Alice, Wild Oyster, Malibu.

Tradewinds

Visit site
Another one:

Miss Molly of Shamrock - 2nd owner circumnavigated late 90's.

(There are other subsequent Oysters using the name Miss Molly - the original owner bought bigger & bigger . . .)

auditdata

www.sephina.org
So Far...

Yes Mark it is Sephina formerly Spanner prior to 94. Its listed as "406 12a", I guess the 12 is the hull number?? This might be important if I am to avoid duplication as a result of name changes.
Thanks PVB you are well informed!
Thanks Tradewinds.
Moody Nick, Sundays Childs looks lovely.
So after 24 hours we have:-
Name, Hull Number?, Location
Sephina,12a,N.Wales
Beluga,14,England SE
Sunday's Child,32, ?
Boysterous,?,?
Gerda,?,?
Cooktown Orchid,?,Orwel UK
Selkie Dancer,?,Scotland
First Light,? ,Australia
Rapaz,?,?
Blue Boojum,?,?
Lucy Alice,?,?
Wild Oyster ,?,?
Mailbu,?,?
Miss Molly of Shamrock,?,?

Only 21 to go......;)
Clive

Last edited:

markleuty

Visit site
i figured that too, Mark. was she also on your list of possibilities ?

I know the owner of Sundays Child very well, which is for sale, if anybody is interested in an introduction.

Nick,

yes, she was. A lovely boat, but we still can't get our heads around what size and style we're looking for. :confused:

Buying a boat is a nightmare :(