Outboard Motor

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Sounds like you are looking at the second hand market as 2 stroke have not been available for many years.
I'd go for a 3.5hp for a bit more power and little weight penalty. 2 stroke for simplicity but they really are noisy, dirty and high levels of pollution. There is a reason they have been banned.
I'm considering an ePropulsion electric but it is 2.5 times the cost of a new four stroke and I'm still dubious about it being powerful enough.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Sounds like you are looking at the second hand market as 2 stroke have not been available for many years.
I'd go for a 3.5hp for a bit more power and little weight penalty. 2 stroke for simplicity but they really are noisy, dirty and high levels of pollution. There is a reason they have been banned.
I'm considering an ePropulsion electric but it is 2.5 times the cost of a new four stroke and I'm still dubious about it being powerful enough.
It’s for the dinghy our daughter has acquired as a tender for her Pandora so it has to be the smallest lightest outboard possible.

john_morris_uk

Which choice ? If a 2 stroke is it likely to have break down with carb issues in the spring ? My 3.3 seems to often have fuel issues .
There are two solutions. Firstly make sure you run the carb completely dry when you come to the end of the season. Alternatively use Aspen fuel for the last tankful.
I’ve started using Aspen in all the hedgetrimmers chain saws etc that only get occasional use and have solved all the ‘stale fuel problems’ I used to have.
The only exception is our tender outboard (a 4hp Yamaha of ancient vintage) that just keeps going year after year on any old petrol.

ashtead

Visit site
John ,many thanks -I have used the aspen fuel (does it have gold dust in it for that price) in the lawnmower 4 stroke hayter but should get a can of 2 stroke version and try that in the mercury once I can get it going again in the new year . I now have the shiny Yam though which is so far impressive. Just need to buy an aluminium high field to go with it once I have some davits but long shopping list as always.

john_morris_uk

Aspen 2 stroke mix....is it 2 stroke agricultural oil or 2 stroke outboard marine oil?
Get yourself some extra plugs....Aspen burns hot and wrecks plugs (not hearsay. 3 times I have repaired new engines run specifically on Aspen...all non functioning plugs)
I try to use ordinary petrol and two stroke mix most if the time and only use Aspen for the last fill up when I’m about to put the machine back in store. So far no problems but thanks for the tip off.