Out of the Blue - Anne Milner

Helgafolkboot

Visit site
Anne Miller did an Atlantic circuit in 1984/1986. While her exploit may not be up there with other single handed female sailors, her writing is far more enjoyable in my opinion. A lot of humour is evident despite being involved in a collision with a ship in the Bay of Biscay. Her boat Rupert which she always refers to in the masculine t-boned the ship which sailed blithely on despite Anne letting off numerous flares. At one stage she signs on as second officer on a cargo ship running between Madeira and Lisbon to earn funds. The captain remarks that they keep the radar turned off as its beeping tends to wake the watch keeper.

A great book if you enjoy a good sea story well told.

dgadee

Visit site
let’s just keep your misogyny in your wee head and not on the forum.

Hardly - you know me not but feel able to criticise my personality? How weird.

My very large collection of sailing books attests to my knowledge of which sailors are usually on the phone/radio home.

dgadee

Visit site
Well, Anne Miller's book arrived and was promptly read. Not what I expected (more than the usual traumas) but with a laid back style which makes it very readable. Well worth a purchase.

She, Minerva note, did not have communications home but certainly wished she had so she could "telephone home for a chat every night" (p116). The book is all the better for that lack (in my opinion).

Very young when she did this - a time when cruising seems to have been more open to all. I was in my 20s too when I was getting into trouble as a boat owner, but my monthly rent in the Elephant and Castle was only £12. Add two zeros to that nowadays and no wonder there's a lack of the young.

What struck me was no stern ladder - she had problems in getting the rudder onto her hydrovane. What would she have done to get back on board, I wonder, in case of going over?