out and about over the week

LeytonC

Visit site
All being well i will be out and about over the week, i am not sure if i will make lundy but you can put money on me being in portishead, penarth, watchet, possibly porlock or some combination of the above, or Bristol if the weather keeps doing what its doing at the moment. If you see the 'Barbara B' anywhere please come over and say hello.

Hope to see you over the week

Elza_Skip

Visit site
Well we bottled out due to the weather.

Spent saturday ashore ust enjoying being away.

Sunday we thought we would try for Swansea bay for a day trip but hardly got 3 miles from Cardiff before we thought better of it ambled around locally. We had a great 20 min blast upriver past Monkstone ahead of the wind and then paid for it for an hour and a half crashig our way back into the head sea!

Monday with the squally showers we stayed in the bay and went up the Taff to the stadium

All in all a pleasant week-end but not quite what we were planning!

LizzyD

Visit site
This weekend, I helped a mate move his new boat from Instow in Devon back to Cardiff. Original plan had been to take some friends over to Lundy, but the weather was horrible. So my mate's (Jim) wife Pat took us to Instow by car and we readied the boat that evening. If you ever go to Instow, be prepared for a rough ride over the bar as you leave the river. Jim's new boat is a MacWester 27 and coped better than we did with the waves, which were about 3m high. We saw one ketch turn and go back but we stuck it out and when we passed the bar, we were soon on our way out into calmer waters. We could see the sails of some boats heading to Lundy and didn't envy them knowing it was going to rough up the following day.

Bull Point was an experience!!! I would NOT recommend doing what we did the night before, and stay up until 03:00 drinking, survive on 3 hours sleep, and then go for a bouncy sail. I've never been sea sick before, and although I didn't actually vomit, I came close a few times.

We got into Watchet. It was very disapointing that despite Jim paying nearly £20 to stay the night none of the pubs served food because it's a Sunday!! For goodness sake, this is 2006. That's a town that definitely doesn't cater for the 24 hour business of sailing.

The following day, we set off for Cardiff, leaving in a F5 to 6. A really bouncy two hours got us to the Welsh coast, and when we turned to head up channel, it was a relief to get the wind and sea spray behind us. Crossing the channel was a nightmare. Jim's boat hasn't got a sprayhood or dodgers fitted and we took wave after wave of water full on in the face. We also got very wind-burnt and I'm suffering as I write this.

We got to Cardiff on time but had to wait for the tide. So we drifted around Penarth Pier for an hour and had a beer to celebrate getting back safely. Once through the Barrage, we were on our way over to the Cardiff Yacht Club for Jim to moor his boat in her new home.

Lessons learned - (All of them learned the hard way.)

1. If your going into rough water, dress for it fully just before you slip your lines, with a flare in a pocket, along with a waterproofed (bagged) hand held radio.
2. Buy and liberally use waterproof sun cream. Today, my face is a series of really painful blisters.
3. Lay off the booze. You can tell by the colour of your urine whether or not you are dehydrated. I was so dehydrated mine was like marmite (sorry for the bad taste) and when I got home, downed three pints of water in fairly short order.
4. I suffered with sea spray in the eyes and if you're on a boat without a spray hood, even sunglasses are better then nothing.

All good prep for my Summer trip at the end of June - Cardiff to Conwy and back.

Take care all.

Mike

Elza_Skip

Visit site
Hey, I note you said about waiting for enough water- it was VERY shallow in the approach to Cardif on Sunday.

We were coming in about 1.5 hours after low water after hanging about and we registered about 1.5m. Must have been just about completely dry at LW.

Just east of us was a 35-40 foot cruiser that had gone aground and just refloated as we made our way in. Not sure why he was where he was though.

It can be quite alarming when you come it at low tide with the channel markers high and dry on the mud- with such a large range they drift a long way off position at low water.

Definately best to come in on a rising tide if you are neas low water springs.

rickp

Visit site
Re:spammers

Because its one of the few where unregistered users can post. This should be fixed by the admins, I think.

Rick

Jobs_a_ good_ un

www.beneteau393.co.uk
hi
i did a trip from portishead to appledore and instow and spent the night in the estuary then the next day left 3 hours before hi water and it was a bit swelly leaving the estuary your dead right.
I just powered through it as fast as i could but was even then in a 35 footer a bit rough
Then turned to starboard to head home and encountered those massive rollers that give woolacombe its surf once we turned into the bristol channel we surfed all the way home noy much fun in a smaller boat
regards

G

Re:spammers

Sorry about the delay in responding to the PM have been off work, shouldn't happen again and will check the other permissions as Brendan suggested!

Other threads that may be of interest