Our search for our next boat - Trawler Yacht style semi displacement

TheCoach

Visit site
@gordmac thanks for the pointer (y) Looking at it I think its main berths are f'ward although the pics aren't great but also has twin 120bhp Lehmans which whilst it is listed a an SD boat I suspect will really be a max 10kn with those engines.

Probs not quite the one for us therefore but that is an attractive price:)

Cheers,

TC

superheat6k

Visit site
@gordmac thanks for the pointer (y) Looking at it I think its main berths are f'ward although the pics aren't great but also has twin 120bhp Lehmans which whilst it is listed a an SD boat I suspect will really be a max 10kn with those engines.

Probs not quite the one for us therefore but that is an attractive price:)

Cheers,

TC
10 knots downhill (a steep hill !) with the wind and tide behind you I reckon.

asteven221

Visit site
You mentioned you wanted 13 knots out of the boat. 13 knots on a heavy trawler yacht? That's going to be pushing a lot of water!

Worth consideration, unless of course about you are happy with about £7 a mile.

gordmac

Visit site
A Seaward 35, Nelson semi displacement hull, will do just under 5l/m between 13kn and 23kn according to Seaward. A 29 is about 3l/m same speed, graphs are flat.I would imagine a similar size of semi displacement trawler would be similar. About 1l/m at 6 or 7kn for the 35.

TheCoach

Visit site
Yep, that was roughly what I was expecting on a SD hull, somewhere between 3 and 6 LPM at double digit cruising speeds and then maybe 2-3 LPM at displacement speeds. My theory at least is this gives me the ability to go out for a quick day trip where I want to cover distance at a reasonable speed accepting the fuel burn (which is probably still less than a sports cruiser) but equally is pretty frugal if we want to just potter around and displacement speed. Feels like the best of both worlds, at least for our first hard boat.

So so far I have on the definate list:
Corvette (hopefully getting a chance to look at one through very kind forum member)
Mainship (again getting a chance to look at one through a very kind forum member)
Hardy - not seen one yet and maybe to pricey but look very good

On the potential list we have (interested in feedback on any of these options):
Aquastar
Trader
Colvic (subject to engine spec)
Sabreline

We did have a look at Broom's but as far as I can see they do not do one that has an internal helm and side access to the deck from the salon???
Looked at the Rodman's and Starfisher's but are beginning to be really hooked on the trawler style cabin arrangement.

Some of the above are fairly rare and also push 40+ feet which is starting to drive the mooring costs quite high.

So anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers,

TC

gordmac

Visit site
I would suggest a planing hull on outdrives will use significantly less fuel than a SD hull will. The Seaward 35 I mentioned will use about 50% more fuel at speed than a BT 35 will. The BT will be going quicker too.

TheCoach

Visit site
Grand Banks
Ocean Alexander
Eurobanker

Plus might be worth a look at some dutch boats, not trawler style but something there could well fit the bill. Start with De Valk:
Yachts for sale | De Valk Yacht broker
Thanks Scala, some new names there I hand't some across apart from GB.

I am thinking GB's are a bit out of budget.
Ocean Alexanders look nice, not found one with a side entrance to the salon but they do look really nice inside
The Eurobanker is a nice shape and layout, all the ones I can find at the moment though are small engines so 10kn max.

Will have a look at the Dutch boats and see if any appeal (y)

Cheers,

TC

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
GBs can be very old (1960's). You don't want a wooden one or one with GRP hull and timber superstructure. But they fit your requirements very well. And resale of a good one will be easy.

All boats are compromises. Trick is to figure out what you MUST have, and what you can live without. And/or, how flexible are the other factors (budget, LOA).

TheCoach

Visit site
I would suggest a planing hull on outdrives will use significantly less fuel than a SD hull will. The Seaward 35 I mentioned will use about 50% more fuel at speed than a BT 35 will. The BT will be going quicker too.
I know I should know this but..... BT35?
:)

Cheers,

TC

TheCoach

Visit site
All boats are compromises. Trick is to figure out what you MUST have, and what you can live without. And/or, how flexible are the other factors (budget, LOA).
And that is the challenge especially when it is a newish experience as you don't really know the product ranges that well:rolleyes:. If I was spending the equivalent on a classic car it would be easy as I know that market very well :)

Hence the value of the forum to give insights and ideas which I really appreciate, as even if they don't fit all criteria they help to narrow down options or sometimes raise more questions lol.

TC

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
And that is the challenge especially when it is a newish experience as you don't really know the product ranges that well:rolleyes:. If I was spending the equivalent on a classic car it would be easy as I know that market very well :)

Hence the value of the forum to give insights and ideas which I really appreciate, as even if they don't fit all criteria they help to narrow down options or sometimes raise more questions lol.

TC
Yes. People tend to recommend what they like themselves. So that's a rose-tinted filter you need to watch for.

Greg2

Visit site
We did have a look at Broom's but as far as I can see they do not do one that has an internal helm and side access to the deck from the salon???
Looked at the Rodman's and Starfisher's but are beginning to be really hooked on the trawler style cabin arrangement.

Some of the above are fairly rare and also push 40+ feet which is starting to drive the mooring costs quite high.

So anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers,

TC

We know Brooms well - owned two and looked at lots plus the factory is /was local. Well built and very capable boats. Many models have a side door to the decks - older models had an internal and external helm but later models (I mean 90’s onwards here) have just the external helm as Brooms realised that the internal one was often little used and took up space.

Ferris

Visit site
Just some ideas:

Broom 39. No internal helm or side door but these are a great boat. Engines might be a little too big and it has more of a planing hull but these are good sea boats. Brooms are built like tanks.

Broom 39, 110.473 € | iNautia.com

Broom Ocean 38. Designed to operate at lower speeds than the 'Offshore' Brooms but still great sea boats, Ocean Froggie on here cruises the south west coast of Ireland on his. Smaller engines and a keel to aid low speed tracking. Newer and probablyy above the budget. Has a side door.

Broom 38, 143.631 € | iNautia.com

Aquastar 38. Incredible seaboat, on budget and with an internal helm and side door. Less space than equivalent broom and although heavily built, not as well finished. Thirsty.

Aquastar Ocean Star 118, 105.001 € | iNautia.com

TheCoach

Visit site
@gordmac doh, I should know that, Sargos's and BT's were our first choice at SIBS last year, just very pricey :rolleyes:. If we compromised on the aft cabin for a pilot house then Sargo/BT would be top of the list.

TC