Our search for our next boat - Trawler Yacht style semi displacement

TheCoach

Visit site
OK, so a Broom related question then.....

As said this is our first hard boat. We will mainly be 2 crew but I want to be able to single hand as well for the odd day trip/fishing trip.

So this had made a side door onto the deck a requirement as I didn't fancy having to run around from a flybridge etc on my own.

Secondly, our cruising grounds will either be South Coast or West Highlands. We plan on using the boat as much as possible ie. not just summer cruising. With the Scottish weather being what it is I have specified an internal helm as a requirement to extend our cruising window.

For these reasons I have excluded most Broom's even though the interior layout and sea keeping look great.

Appreciate everyone will have personal preferences but does my logic above stack up?

Cheers,

TC

gordmac

Visit site
@gordmac doh, I should know that, Sargos's and BT's were our first choice at SIBS last year, just very pricey :rolleyes:. If we compromised on the aft cabin for a pilot house then Sargo/BT would be top of the list.

TC
The sort of aft cabin below the wheelhouse on the BT 35 is reasonable enough as is the one forward. The lack of an oven isn't so handy though!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

OK, so a Broom related question then.....

Appreciate everyone will have personal preferences but does my logic above stack up?

With respect I don’t think so. The aft command position on a Broom can be almost as well protected as an interior helm. Some even have heating ducts plumbed to them. And you are only 2-3 steps from the very generous side decks so single handing is very possible. I used to single hand my Broom 37 regularly. Yes they can be a bit traditional inside but the huge aft cabin more than makes up for that IMHO. In your price range in particular I would be looking at the Broom 38. The hull is a semi displacement form and has an excellent reputation both as a sea boat and an inland waterways boat

Richard.C

Visit site
Yep, that was roughly what I was expecting on a SD hull, somewhere between 3 and 6 LPM at double digit cruising speeds and then maybe 2-3 LPM at displacement speeds. My theory at least is this gives me the ability to go out for a quick day trip where I want to cover distance at a reasonable speed accepting the fuel burn (which is probably still less than a sports cruiser) but equally is pretty frugal if we want to just potter around and displacement speed. Feels like the best of both worlds, at least for our first hard boat.

So so far I have on the definate list:
Corvette (hopefully getting a chance to look at one through very kind forum member)
Mainship (again getting a chance to look at one through a very kind forum member)
Hardy - not seen one yet and maybe to pricey but look very good

On the potential list we have (interested in feedback on any of these options):
Aquastar
Trader
Colvic (subject to engine spec)
Sabreline

We did have a look at Broom's but as far as I can see they do not do one that has an internal helm and side access to the deck from the salon???
Looked at the Rodman's and Starfisher's but are beginning to be really hooked on the trawler style cabin arrangement.

Some of the above are fairly rare and also push 40+ feet which is starting to drive the mooring costs quite high.

So anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers,

TC

Does the Nimbus Trawler like the following fit the requirements:

Nimbus 370

I don't know the Nimbus Trawlers at all but always thought they looked a good boat for the money, maybe not the most accommodation in that size range though.

Greg2

Visit site
With respect I don’t think so. The aft command position on a Broom can be almost as well protected as an interior helm. Some even have heating ducts plumbed to them. And you are only 2-3 steps from the very generous side decks so single handing is very possible. I used to single hand my Broom 37 regularly. Yes they can be a bit traditional inside but the huge aft cabin more than makes up for that IMHO. In your price range in particular I would be looking at the Broom 38. The hull is a semi displacement form and has an excellent reputation both as a sea boat and an inland waterways boat

+1
Broom 38 was a real consideration for us after our 41, for many of the reasons cited by Mike. The only thing I would say is that some models can be high sided so you need to be reasonably agile to get on and off - the 41 was a bit of a climb but the 38 is better. I am very conscious of this now because our Hardy 36 is an easy step down to pontoon height.

Last edited:

TheCoach

Visit site
@Deleted User @Greg2 thanks for the input on the Broom. I do quite like the interiors and very spacious I guess exactly becaue they loose the internal helm. I will try to get a look at a 38 physically so we can see if that would work for us so thanks for the steer (y)

Cheers,

TC

TheCoach

Visit site
@Richard.C I hadn't seen a Nimbus 370 so thanks for that. I like the Nimbus but had only seen 320 Coupe which didn't quite do it for me. Reservation on the 370 would be no aft cabin and the decks aren't quite as deep/wide as some other although they do have high rails. So defo worth thinking about(y)

Cheers,

TC

Greg2

Visit site
@Richard.C I hadn't seen a Nimbus 370 so thanks for that. I like the Nimbus but had only seen 320 Coupe which didn't quite do it for me. Reservation on the 370 would be no aft cabin and the decks aren't quite as deep/wide as some other although they do have high rails. So defo worth thinking about(y)

Cheers,

TC

A Nimbus 340 or 370 / 380 was on our list but ultimately discounted because the accommodation is all crammed up forward. All personal preference of course and I wouldn’t discount looking at them to see if they fit the bill.

NoviceRod

Visit site
Later Nimbus Cruisers (335, 365, 305 405/405Flybridge) have the helm door and are good for single-handed, but may be beyond your budget. Have you considered the Beneteau Swift Trawlers.

Both Nimbus and Beneteau have the cabins forward, so may not suit you

Greg2

Visit site
Clipper just listed a Hardy Commodore 36:
Hardy Commodore 36 For Sale - GBP 139,950 - Clipper Marine

Over the OP's budget. But looks like it needs some TLC so a deal might be there to be done.

Difficult to tell from the photos whether she is in need of some TLC or not - the teak needs a bit of attention but otherwise maybe okay. We are loving ours - she does need some TLC internally but that will be the work of the winter. She is an easyand very practical boat to cruise and so far we are very happy with our choice.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Difficult to tell from the photos whether she is in need of some TLC or not - the teak needs a bit of attention but otherwise maybe okay. We are loving ours - she does need some TLC internally but that will be the work of the winter. She is an easyand very practical boat to cruise and so far we are very happy with our choice.
Yes it was the teak in particular that caught my eye.

TheCoach

Visit site
@Scala that looks really nice actually, now having budget grumpiness :cry: - helpfully the finance calculator inb the for sale page just re-enforced the challenge!

@Blue Sunray thanks for that link, really interesting and just made the boat more desirable as thats just the sort of history I look for when buying classic cars!

@Greg2 stop it - you are all making this far too tempting ;) - don't forget to shout if you come past Dover(y)

Off to see if we can sell some family jewels - wonder how much the kids are worth?

Cheers,

TC