Othonoi from a cruiser , heads up .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Othonoi have started charging this year for their marina. €34 for a 12 metre boat to go alongside or €24 to go stern to.
But the harbour master told us that next year they will charge approximately €12 for a 12 metre boat to anchor in the bay to the west of the marina. The harbour master said that this was likely to become standard practice for protected bays (i.e. where a wall has been built).

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We couldn't get near the bay a few years ago and anchored about 2nm to the East. Very secluded but only protected from SW to NE.

The comment about charging for anchoring in protected bays and chance of it spreading is a bit worrying.
How many years now Mike have I been saying Greece going to be the new Croatia.
I waiting for the day they start putting buoys out and stop people anchoring near towns

alexsailor

Visit site
eh... just an unnecessary panic.
Vic you left Greece and please, leave it to us.
It is true that on Othoni you have to pay for a berth. But we will see what is this word about anchoring.

There are so many bays in Greece... I am not worried.

And after this catastrofic season I doubt there will be more restrictions...

Greece is perfect. It will stay so.
There is a loooong way to become ATM like Croatia.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
eh... just an unnecessary panic.
Vic you left Greece and please, leave it to us.
It is true that on Othoni you have to pay for a berth. But we will see what is this word about anchoring.

There are so many bays in Greece... I am not worried.

And after this catastrofic season I doubt there will be more restrictions...

Greece is perfect. It will stay so.
There is a loooong way to become ATM like Croatia.
What you on about Alex
I keep my reply short even tho your posting don't deserve a respond .
I been posting here on YBW , Noonsite as well as many other cruisers site passing on infor on countries all over the Med to help and help cruisers make decisions on what they might find , be it on mooring , anchorages fuel or as in this case an harbour that now charging ,
now if that hurt your feeling tough luck , I have no plain not to stop reporting info on Greece just because I'm don't happen to be sailing there at this time and as long as what I write in correct and not fuse most people welcomes them .

You suggest I should leave it to you to report on Greece , I see you not said any thing about the new charge even tho you knew about it .
So no I won't be leaving it to people with one sided views .

I know you can't stand hearing any thing bad about Greece but that's your problem the same way you don't seen to have a good word to say about Croatia although you seen happy to keep your boat there .
But let's not make this personal

As far as Greece is Perfect and it will stay so , your Dreaming your just blind to it ,
its been changes every year for some years now and will continue to do so.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I found last year that costs in the Ionion were a lot more expensive and with charges not seen in the Cyclades
I keep my boat 25 miles from Sounion for free with water and electricity