Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Cantata

Visit site
I wonder if the ferry operators out of Dover aren't thinking seriously about reopening the Oostende route. They must be fed up to the back teeth with the fragility of Calais.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I wonder if the ferry operators out of Dover aren't thinking seriously about reopening the Oostende route. They must be fed up to the back teeth with the fragility of Calais.

Ferries are unlikely to (ever) return to Ostend.
All the disembarkation ramps are in the process of being dismantled and the site is scheduled for redevelopment (luxury flats).

sailorman

Visit site
Well we have had just over 6 weeks in Belgium & The Netherlands, this was including 2 x visits into Oostende.
No issues & didnt see any officials anywhere.
I did have fuel reciepts for white diesel fron England & bought 4 lots in The Netherlands where prices ranged €1.33 > €1.20 per ltr (£0.86 per ltr for white). we are ripped off here for red & road white

phatcat1

Visit site
Hi everyone,
Sorry, have been away with work, so not been able to look at the forum for some weeks. It seems my post has grown a life of its own.

I can't add anything further to what I originally posted as I haven't seen the gent in question as we have not bumped into him since to get more info. If I do, I will.

Sixpence, I'm not the person who got fined. I am based in Wooly on the Orwell and am Phatcat and the boat was Cento -you had my old VHF off me. We have a new boat called Rumpus which is why you maybe don't recognise me. I don't use the forum much as I don't get time.

Will, I'm not sure which marina he was in, I think he was in the centre basin. Is that Mercator? He was there for a while (a few days so I gather)

The gent is based on the Orwell, and those at Woolverstone will know him well. I'm not going to post names and details on public forums. We happened to bump into him in the Butt & Oyster in the evening he got back. He was not happy, but I don't believe he is an "antagonistic" type of chap.

When he told me, I thought I ought to post it on the forum as a warning to others. I do know of friends who have been to Ostende and back happily this year, but also when I called the RYA cruising department a few weeks ago ( as we were planning to go over) to find out the situation, they told me they had had a few incidents of fines being imposed this summer. It did seem to sound sporadic though rather than a set policy.

It has made us change our mind about going though. Holland and France seem fine, but we don't want to risk Belgium. Seems a real shame and so petty.

PS. After years on the east coast, he is the first person I have met that has been fined!

Last edited:

Colvic Watson

Visit site
When I called the RYA cruising department a few weeks ago ( as we were planning to go over) to find out the situation, they told me they had had a few incidents of fines being imposed this summer. It did seem to sound sporadic though rather than a set policy.

Somebody needs to tell the RYA that they're wrong. Apparently lots of people have been to Belgium and not been fined so it must be a myth :rolleyes:

It's an interesting mindset on the part of the Belgian govt. It doesn't raise a cent extra in revenue, it doesn't change UK policy, it doesn't add to safety or security. The only tangible effect is to reduce income from tourism. But I bet it makes the officials feel like they're doing something and managers always need to feel that they're doing something.

sailorman

Visit site
Somebody needs to tell the RYA that they're wrong. Apparently lots of people have been to Belgium and not been fined so it must be a myth :rolleyes:

It's an interesting mindset on the part of the Belgian govt. It doesn't raise a cent extra in revenue, it doesn't change UK policy, it doesn't add to safety or security. The only tangible effect is to reduce income from tourism. But I bet it makes the officials feel like they're doing something and managers always need to feel that they're doing something.
As has been stated elsewhere, its noticeable how few English boats are in The Netherlands this year. The red issue must be having a financial effect to both Holland & Belgium

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
As has been stated elsewhere, its noticeable how few English boats are in The Netherlands this year. The red issue must be having a financial effect to both Holland & Belgium
Or perhaps the diabolically windy weather! The Hanse further down "our" pontoon was waiting last Monday to go over, but didn't think he'd get away to last Thursday.

Sixpence

Visit site
Hi everyone, Sixpence, I'm not the person who got fined. I am based in Wooly on the Orwell and am Phatcat and the boat was Cento -you had my old VHF off me. We have a new boat called Rumpus which is why you maybe don't recognise me. I don't use the forum much as I don't get time.

Good to hear from you, my addled grey matter has difficulty keeping up with all the name changes in these parts, and it's also been a hectic few days for me but sadly not as far as sailing goes. Tempting though the waters off Swansea were, time these days is at a premium

Tomahawk

Visit site
when I called the RYA cruising department a few weeks ago ( as we were planning to go over) to find out the situation, they told me they had had a few incidents of fines being imposed this summer. It did seem to sound sporadic though rather than a set policy.
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...d-red-diesel-BEWARE/page7#EF6jphy2xmuYm64k.99

He may have been the only peson to get done so far, but the mere threat of a whomping fine is all I need to decide to not goto Belgium...

Vara

Visit site
What I would like to see is a copy of the receipt or associated paperwork of any fines issued for red diesel in Belgium.

Until I see them it remains case...not proven.

Friend of friend accounts just don't cut it.

Daydream believer

Visit site
What if one can show that the red diesel was not purchased within the EU .
I have been to St Peter Port & filled with their marine red fuel.
Hence i have red in my tanks
Does that put a different slant on it ?
AT the chandlery in St Peter Port they say that loads of French boats come over & fill with the cheaper fuel & are not challenged on return to France
I do have the receipts for the Red fuel bought there

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
What I would like to see is a copy of the receipt or associated paperwork of any fines issued for red diesel in Belgium.
Until I see them it remains case...not proven.
Friend of friend accounts just don't cut it.

I've seen one, as I mentioned earlier. Next time I'll take a photocopier, and a scanner onboard. :rolleyes:

maby

Visit site
What if one can show that the red diesel was not purchased within the EU .
I have been to St Peter Port & filled with their marine red fuel.
Hence i have red in my tanks
Does that put a different slant on it ?
AT the chandlery in St Peter Port they say that loads of French boats come over & fill with the cheaper fuel & are not challenged on return to France
I do have the receipts for the Red fuel bought there

Doesn't make any difference - the Germans fined an American boat that had brought red over from the states. The French may not push it, but they could - we accept that we cannot take legally purchased alcohol into Saudi - the same applies to red diesel taken into the EU. I know that there is a generally accepted convention that countries should not apply local laws to fuel brought in in craft from outside their jurisdiction, but I do not believe that that has any basis in legislation - it is just one of those conventions that is generally observed because it is mutually beneficial.