Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
Re: Levington boaters allegedly fined €500 in Belgium for red diesel

For myself, I just wish there was a local waterside source of white diesel to fill up with. I’d use that like a shot in preference just to save all the hassle.

PeterWright

Visit site

For myself, I just wish there was a local waterside source of white diesel to fill up with. I’d use that like a shot in preference just to save all the hassle.

I would also prefer to go down this route. The problem for UK waterside suppliers is that those who have set up to supply white diesel for boats in the UK have found that the vast majority of volume sold is still red so the considerable investment in bunded tankage and pump for white is never paid off. I would be happier if we just went the same way as the EU and required pleasure craft to use white diesel - it doesn't seem to have caused any crisis in other EU countries and is so much simpler than the contrived UK process. However the RYA, apparently with he support of the vast majority of members, doesn't agree with me.

Plum

Visit site

I would also prefer to go down this route. The problem for UK waterside suppliers is that those who have set up to supply white diesel for boats in the UK have found that the vast majority of volume sold is still red so the considerable investment in bunded tankage and pump for white is never paid off. I would be happier if we just went the same way as the EU and required pleasure craft to use white diesel - it doesn't seem to have caused any crisis in other EU countries and is so much simpler than the contrived UK process. However the RYA, apparently with he support of the vast majority of members, doesn't agree with me.

The small commercial and fishing boats would still want red so the boatyards would still need two tanks and two pumps and many choose not to invest in both. One sollution is to have white only and let the commercial and fishing boats claim the tax back on their tax returns then everyone will be happy.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Cantata

Visit site

Exactly what should have been done in the first place, in my view, combined with requiring commercial craft to use white and claim back, and I said so at the time to the RYA.

Pye_End

Visit site

The small commercial and fishing boats would still want red so the boatyards would still need two tanks and two pumps and many choose not to invest in both. One sollution is to have white only and let the commercial and fishing boats claim the tax back on their tax returns then everyone will be happy.

Trouble is, with no dye, there is no way to check for fuel bought from a marine pump, tax re-claimed, and then same fuel moved to road vehicle. Perhaps another colour would be the answer. Green perhaps.

sailorman

Visit site

Trouble is, with no dye, there is no way to check for fuel bought from a marine pump, tax re-claimed, and then same fuel moved to road vehicle. Perhaps another colour would be the answer. Green perhaps.

Colour "IS" the issue, nothing else, any coloured fuel, even tartan dyed fuel would get you into trouble

Daydream believer

Visit site

Not wishing to get into a Brexit debate a there are threads elsewhere on the forum for that but:
If we were free of restrictions from the EU we would not have to have such high duty on fuel anyway. If we were able to reduce import tax on goods inc fuel the duty difference between red & white MAY become a lot more palatable. Commercial marine users claiming the VAT back within their returns would then have a much smaller difference to worry about.
Of course oe can hope but it would depend on what deal was obtained & how close we were aligned with the EU in the final deal. WTO does have some advantages. Furthermore any duty changes will take some years to filter through. Hopefully, the chancellor would consider fuel, generally, as a benefit to the consumer & that, along with food etc , could be an early recipient of duty reductions.

Biggles Wader

Visit site

This is the way to go. All fuel would be sold duty paid with no need to mark any of it. Commercial users who are entitled to tax relief would claim it back via electronic(modern) means and the duty would become an entirely virtual process. A bit like virtual customs borders which I accept are not at present workable but in a few years time?

Dan Tribe

Visit site

I spent much of this summer in Holland & Belgium. I note that there are many fishing boats and thousands of yachts and numerous filling stations selling white diesel, but the subject of duty free fuel was never mentioned in any conversation and no hand wringing angst about it.
How do these these EU citizens manage that?

Champagne Murphy

Visit site

As I said earlier, I would much prefer to use white but I would like to use FAME free. Trouble is, it appears that ALL road diesel (read white) in the EU has by law to contain 7% bio-ethanol so even if the ‘Red’ issue were settled, getting FAME free white won’t be possible without a further change in the law. How likely is that at the moment?

sailorman

Visit site

I spent much of this summer in Holland & Belgium. I note that there are many fishing boats and thousands of yachts and numerous filling stations selling white diesel, but the subject of duty free fuel was never mentioned in any conversation and no hand wringing angst about it.
How do these these EU citizens manage that?

And with Bio added too Oh how they must have suffered these past 20 yrs

Pye_End

Visit site

Perhaps any money raised in tax could replace local 'conservation/navigation charges'.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site

I sent an email yesterday to the Harbour Master at Ramsgate. Here is his reply, self explanatory really.

Good morning Karl

Thank you for your enquiry.

We presently serve three fuels for leisure vessels at Ramsgate from our own fuel barge; these are FAME free red marine gas oil, white diesel (not FAME free) and unleaded petrol.

We're hoping that in line with the recent ruling, the industry will soon be in a position to be able to provide FAME free white diesel.
Kind regards

Robert Brown.

Harbour Master & Marine Operations Manager

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Thread in scuttlebutt saying a boat has been recently fined £500 for red diesel in Belgium. Bought in Dover 100% full duty paid etc.