Ordering goods from UK to EU post-Brexit - VAT to be paid?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Currently in Portugal, there are a number of items I'd like to buy from UK suppliers, if only because it's easier to navigate an English-language website.

Other items seem significantly cheaper in the UK, which I can't make sense of.

Is this going to be be easy, difficult or impossible?

My best guess is that the UK supplier will be obliged to sell the item VAT free, declaring its value on the customs form, and then local VAT will have to be paid to the courier on arrival.

Any thoughts?

Please don't derail this thread with suggestions of EU suppliers like SVP - I know of them, and can search for them if necessary, but can we stick to the customs and VAT procedures of shipping UK to EU in this thread, please?

nortada

Visit site
Spoke with Ayamar, Ayamonte, back along and they were confident they would be able to resolve these shipping problems post Brexit.

Wonder how their hither too weekly delivery run along the Algarve will work out ❓

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I have been wondering about this because I have a heap of stuff to buy, like plotters, radios, sun hats, etc, I am new to Amazon, signed up just before christmas. I seem to recall the facility for an alternate address for delivery and it seems possible to also order from Germany which will not attract customs in Greece. Could that work?

I am impressed with the one order I have made so far but that was a delivery to my home address. The last thing I want is to wait 90 days for the stuff to get through customs. I think I recall Tony Cross mentioned on one post the possibility of a hang-up in customs.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I have been wondering about this because I have a heap of stuff to buy, like plotters, radios, sun hats, etc, I am new to Amazon, signed up just before christmas. I seem to recall the facility for an alternate address for delivery and it seems possible to also order from Germany which will not attract customs in Greece. Could that work?

I am impressed with the one order I have made so far but that was a delivery to my home address. The last thing I want is to wait 90 days for the stuff to get through customs. I think I recall Tony Cross mentioned on one post the possibility of a hang-up in customs.
In Greece anything that arrives via courier from outside the EU is almost always held by the Greek courier company and VAT, fees, storage, etc., are demanded before the item will be released. AFAIK the VAT charge is genuine but I've always felt the (high) fees and storage are a rip-off and that you're held to ransom almost - especially if it's something you need.

I don't know (yet) whether that will be the case with stuff arriving in Greece by courier from the UK.

The way to avoid it is to have stuff shipped from outside the EU by the normal post, the Greek postal service doesn't (currently) operate this scam, or to use a 'white van man' service.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
In Greece anything that arrives via courier from outside the EU is almost always held by the Greek courier company and VAT, fees, storage, etc., are demanded before the item will be released. AFAIK the VAT charge is genuine but I've always felt the (high) fees and storage are a rip-off and that you're held to ransom almost - especially if it's something you need.

I don't know (yet) whether that will be the case with stuff arriving in Greece by courier from the UK.

The way to avoid it is to have stuff shipped from outside the EU by the normal post, the Greek postal service doesn't (currently) operate this scam, or to use a 'white van man' service.
Thanks. I will have to use local suppliers. There is a large mail order company based in EU with a branch in Greece. The Ionoan chandlers hold their catalogue and order stuff for you with delivery to their address. Tried it OK last year.

grumpygit

Visit site
Be prepared because if you buy from the UK and let's say for example a Chartplotter which is not made in the UK or EU in which this can be open for customs duty and tax.
Of course they have to prove what's in the box but I'm sure they would have a fair idea by scanning and X-raying the package as they do as the norm. Here in Greece the customs are absolute B's for sniffing out contraband.
The only parcels I seem to have no problems with customs wise and speed of delivery are with Parcel Monkey. UK P.O. to Greek address in 4 days, of course this can change post Brexit.
A Royal Mail Track and Trace 500g Jiffy bag was sent to me on the 7th December from the UK, into Greek customs on the 11th and I received on the 2nd January. ?

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Currently in Portugal, there are a number of items I'd like to buy from UK suppliers, if only because it's easier to navigate an English-language website.

My best guess is that the UK supplier will be obliged to sell the item VAT free, declaring its value on the customs form, and then local VAT will have to be paid to the courier on arrival.

Any thoughts?

Please don't derail this thread with suggestions of EU suppliers like SVP - I know of them, and can search for them if necessary, but can we stick to the customs and VAT procedures of shipping UK to EU in this thread, please?
I have just ordered from Jimmy Green marine a couple of items that are infinitely less expensive than here in France. They were dispatched today via Parcelforce and due in the next few days... the postage is
£ 16.95​

and the blocks are UK VAT paid.. Be interesting to see if I am asked to pay duty on them when French Parcel Force delivers.. If it's French VAT its
26.56​
but I will still be ahead of the game,
I normally order from Germany as the prices there are significantly lower than those of France and postage similar..
My total order is 159UKpounds and the cut off for goods coming in to UK is 170 so I'm guessing it will be about the same coming into France...

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I've been using Amazon a long time now, in multiple countries, and I think ordering from them should be straightforward. The username and password you registered at Amazon.co.uk will work at Amazon.de. You can add a Greek shipping address - set it as default to ensure the shipping price and availability will always be shown correctly whilst shopping (some items cannot be shipped to some countries). If you want to order an item you find on Amazon.co.uk, look for the dp/123987456 number in the URL and then go to amazon.de/dp/123987456 (or just change the URL from .co.uk to .de).

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I've been using Amazon a long time now, in multiple countries, and I think ordering from them should be straightforward. The username and password you registered at Amazon.co.uk will work at Amazon.de. You can add a Greek shipping address - set it as default to ensure the shipping price and availability will always be shown correctly whilst shopping (some items cannot be shipped to some countries). If you want to order an item you find on Amazon.co.uk, look for the dp/123987456 number in the URL and then go to amazon.de/dp/123987456 (or just change the URL from .co.uk to .de).
That is really good to know. Thanks. I will order when I am actually in Greece so I can attend to the delivery.

Visit site

Any thoughts?

Have a read of today's Guardian. It's complicated depending on the value of the good and whether it was made in the UK.
Customers in Europe hit by post-Brexit charges when buying from UK | Brexit | The Guardian

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Thanks. Perhaps I'll do that.
How much did they charge you?

Algarve Express charge on weight and size, they charged me €60 for a small pallet of mooring chain (about 160 kgs) last year, small packages can be <€10. I would think by now they will have to charge 23% IVA on collection but, if you can get UK supplier to zero rate and use Algarve Express as carriers, then it should work out cheaper than the ridiculous carriage charges some suppliers quote via Parcelpost.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I can confirm this (using amazon.de) does work just fine in Greece. :)

PlanB

Visit site

When I lived in Spain I used to log on to the Amazon.es website sing my Uk login - all my account details were on there so I just ordered from .es. For some things, delivery was cheaper than .uk