Orca navigation.

Rappey

Visit site
Came across the above. Interesting idea.
With needing so many expensive "boxes" to make one device communicate with another ,using android (or apple) makes a lot more sense . Easy connection to a pc, smart tv and cloud storage has to be the way to go using a tablet.
Tablets have amazing resolution, power and versatility and makes a plotters screen look very slow and dated.
Waterproof tablets for boats are running at 1000 nits so no problem seeing the screens in the sun.
My phone runs around 680 nits and very easy to see in the sun.
TechCrunch is now a part of Verizon Media

Laser310

Visit site
I have a 1000 nit device - a samsung win 10 toughpad.., along with various other tablets, ipads, phones.., etc...

what i find is that direct sunlight isn't actually the worst viewing situation, and it is true that displays with brighness under 1000 nits can work in direct sunlight.

often it seems that a bright but hazy day presents a much more difficult viewing problem, and some devices at 600-700 nits struggle in that environment.

I note that the device in the link isn't less money than a decent networked chartplotter - although it might in the end have more capability.