Orca attack

Spanjaard

Visit site
Having watched several videos and read reports, I would say the first action would be to disconnect the autohelm (or put on standby) as one guy had his quadrant mangled and another had his tiller pilot mount ripped out of the deck, then dump sail and go astern on engine.

Most boats tend not to be in inshore waters due to the forests of danbuoys so, quickly heading for shallow water not an option particularly when under attack.
I have been told that this tactic works 100%.

cherod

Visit site
Thre is no problem killing pigeons, or rats, or foxes... but orcas no, no, no... doesn't matter if it costs millions of pound or if hundres of humans lifes are put at risk:

Orcas frst, humans second. The world upside down.
hundreds of human lives ,,, omg :eek: this is getting serious ,, do you have any details ?

cherod

Visit site
So we can't go astern because we are threatening a protected species?

Aye, right

As to the animals' motives or intentions, who cares? We just want a way to keep our boats safe, not a lecture in marine biology.

- W
i think many people will care , especially if it helps in finding a solution to the problem .

Spanjaard

Visit site
I reckon that if you sail to the western cost of the Iberian Peninsula and you jump from the boat you could get the details from the orcas directly

sailaboutvic

Visit site
When I mentioned going astern to the RYA guy, he launched in to "they are protected animals" and wouldnt let me make my point. I thought I was talking to Chris Packham!
Well there the problem , you talking to people who will never have the problem of having parts of their boat and their life's put in risk by the Orcas same like some who post here .
As far as I am concern and I really don't give a monkey of other people view that we shouldn't do anything that may harm the Orcas ,
my life is also protected and I would do any think that I thought would stop any attacks on my life.
Be it if going into astern my couse an Orcas tail to be chute up by my prop tough.
Many boats now have saildrive ,
Like the keel and rudder can also look like a fin , if by floating about engine off , which is the advice given the saildrive is attack ( play with as some now what us to believe) , you can say good bye to the boat staying afloat.
Which is a very good reason not to stop the prop from going around .

Beneteau381

Visit site
So we can't go astern because we are threatening a protected species?

Aye, right

As to the animals' motives or intentions, who cares? We just want a way to keep our boats safe, not a lecture in marine biology.

- W
Exactly the point I was trying to make. He wouldnt let me finish any points. one of which was why dont you set up a database and suggest other ways of mitigating the attacks, the present advice isnt working. He came across as a woke eco warrior imho. Not what members are paying for?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
DO NOT FLUSH OIL down the bog.
It will give the Orcas the runs .
Perhaps people have been doing that already and using extra virgin olive oil to be eco-friendly. The Orca find it goes well with tuna and are being attracted to these particular yachts.

Nobody objected to my plan B in #83 so it might be acceptable. Probably more likely that they mis-read the link as "Anti-Depradation Pinger" and tohught it was the device mentioned previously.

dunedin

Visit site
Exactly the point I was trying to make. He wouldnt let me finish any points. one of which was why dont you set up a database and suggest other ways of mitigating the attacks, the present advice isnt working. He came across as a woke eco warrior imho. Not what members are paying for?
But again, SURELY any database on Orca attacks needs to be maintained by the local sailing authority. Only a tiny proportion of boats in the area will be UK flagged.
If it was attacks in the Solent definitely would be best that RYA coordinate - but they don’t have the best knowledge of boats sailing in Spanish and Portuguese waters. It’s just common sense.
Have you asked the Spanish sailing authority yet, and what was their reply? Not answered that question yet.