Orca attack

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Last Friday, report on MOA forum that a Moody 31 was attacked 50 miles south of Cascais. Lisbon coastguard advised to go astern and attack then stopped. A few chips out of rudder and maybe bearing damage but tiller pilot mounting torn out of deck.
It be interesting to hear from them who report going a stern stopped the attack,
There been a few reports of this and if what's being reported is true , that can only be good news for them sailing in the waters ,
I be interested to know if the attack stop straight away or they had to motor some way before it did , ( metres, miles ) .how fast ,

greeny

Visit site
So do you wait until they attack and maybe inflict some damage on the rudder, or go astern at them as soon as they come close? Difficult to determine what the right timing would be. It does sound as though the going astern halts the attack though and that can only be good news.

dunedin

Visit site
So do you wait until they attack and maybe inflict some damage on the rudder, or go astern at them as soon as they come close? Difficult to determine what the right timing would be. It does sound as though the going astern halts the attack though and that can only be good news.
The one on the Cruising Association report said they had zero warning- first thing they knew of the presence was the first attack on the rudder

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Another one on a German boat off Peniche.

Boat had its rudder bitten off.

Captain said Orcas were not aggressive just appeared playful.

Bit close to home as I am in Nazare!

Hopefully they are only biting EU boats! I will be flying my red ensign - so hopefully that will put them off!
I wonder if these attacks become more widespread they will cause a swing to Steel or aluminion. Or perhaps an increased demand for catamarans.

cherod

Visit site
Have you got any figures for cats being attacked please? And cats sailing as a proportion of all sailing boats at sea in the area ?
no no no ,, no stats for that , although they prob are available somewhere if you are really interested , but being a cat owner hoping to go that way soon i do pay attention to and have read on some reports .. ( eg. that Spanish girl on her Woods cat on youtube got targeted )
maybe " many " is not the correct word , but i think it is more than just some .

geem

Visit site
We met a German couple who were attacked. A single Orca. It span their 41ft cat around. Damaged one rudder. Not a serious attack like some with multiple Orcas but scary. This was off Southern Spanish coast some weeks ago.

cherod

Visit site
( watched ) on youtube just yesterday skip on a catamaran saying 150 interactions this year alone ?