Orca attack

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
i have read that although the overall numbers in the large blue tuna off Gibralter area which is the stable diet of the local Orcas have increased fish sizes have reduced .
if the Orca is so intelligent and any reduction in fish stocks is the main issue then why are they targeting yachts which have no influence in the fish stocks instead of even smaller fishing boats , ( attacking a large fishing boat would be futile maybe obvious even to a starving Orca ) or are they and fishermen are not reporting incidents whilst taking their own " measures " . further exasperating the situation .

Maybe they are intelligent enough to think yachties will put pressure on fishermen to reduce catches?

- W

Last edited:

Sailfree

Visit site
Today in paper "Portuguese Resident"

NOTE opposite advice - turn off engine and lock rudder

QUOTE:-

The Maritime Police rescued, at dawn today, two people of English nationality, aged 49 and 51, after having been adrift on a sailboat that interacted with orcas off Sintra (Lisbon).
In a statement, the National Maritime Authority (AMN) states that the crew were found four nautical miles (about seven kilometres) from São Julião beach.
“Upon arrival at the sailboat, the elements of the Lifeguard Station found that the two crew were in good physical condition, having proceeded to tow the sailboat to the marina in Cascais, for safety reasons for navigation”, says AMN.
In conjunction with the Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests (ICNF), AMN takes the opportunity to recommend "to all mariners that, in the event of sighting of these mammals, the engine be turned off, in order to inhibit the rotation of the propeller, and immobilise the steering wheel, thus discouraging these mammals to interact with the mobile structures of the vessels”.
The alert for the occurrence was given at 04:13.

END QUOTE.

Last edited:

Visit site
A rather extreme way of testing the rudder. Just because nine tonnes of cetacean managed to break it doesn't mean that it was about to fail. A bit like the priest in Father Ted going around breaking everything in the house "cowboys Ted, nothing but a bunch of cowboys!"

As I say they continued under Hydrovane alone, no reason that he couldn't have done that over a longer passage.
Thousands of euros out of pocket, weeks behind schedule. Fortunately he was in a position to weather this problem.
Nine tonnes is a touch exagerated, although orca is the largest of the dolphins the average adult male only weighs half of that,clearly more than enough to cause substantial damage.
The fact that the hydrovane was not damaged raises an interesting point. It is accepted that dolphins are intelligent and is assumed by some that the "attacks" are intended to cripple the boat so why was the comparatively fragile piece unmolested ?

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
Clearly
Nine tonnes is a touch exagerated, although orca is the largest of the dolphins the average adult male only weighs half of that,clearly more than enough to cause substantial damage.
The fact that the hydrovane was not damaged raises an interesting point. It is accepted that dolphins are intelligent and is assumed by some that the "attacks" are intended to cripple the boat so why was the comparatively fragile piece unmolested ?
I wish I had asked him whether his Hydrovane rudder was installed or not during the attack, it's possible that it was not.
I must have picked up the 9t weight from one of these discussions, should have double checked!

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
I've been wondering if aluminium is the way to go. Interesting clip here Orcas meet OVNI of a pod getting to grips with the twin rudders on an OVNI..... seemed more low key than most encounters described. No hull bumping and, it appeared, no large movement of the rudder surfaces. Whether that was anything to do with the aluminium hull / rudders, there's no way to tell.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Basking shark?

- W
It doesn't look exactly like a basking shark and the tail fin would have been pretty obvious to all in the marina, a giveaway that it wasn't a whale. I think 60' would be much too big for an Orca plus shading and size of fin don't match either. It must be a whale of some sort, perhaps a fin whale. Shape of fin, size and colour might make that a possibility.