Orange survival suits

peter60

Visit site
THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to do when prepairing a yacht for singlehanding is keep it simple and efective. DO EVERYTHING possible to prevent yourself from going over the side. Always prepair for the worst. And most important never panic or hurry THINK first. I have been sailing for 55 years in all types of boats in all the oceans and seas in the world and have never gone overboard no do I intend to

Visit site
Be careful with dry suits. I was windsurfing once when a dry suited sailor nearby took a header. He had obviously neglected to squeeze out the air because this air moved smartly up to the feet and there He floated until I upended him! Next time I saw him He was similarly wetsuited to myself!

G

There was an SBS dry suit on eBay recently (150185801085) which was offered complete with elastic leg gaiters, so I guess wearing something similar around the legs would be an effective method of reducing 'leg bloat'.

Of course, dry suits or similar are good to wear in any exposed condition where hypothermia might be a risk, not just in case you go overboard (in which case you're probably a gonner anyway).

About 15 years ago I found myself stuck up a mountain in North Wales in winter. During a snow blizzard I donned a 6mm diving wetsuit (long john type: 12mm over the torso) with a set of orange oilies over the top, and went for a walk on Moel Tryfan, at around 2000 ft. The locals thought I was nuts, but your truly was as warm as toast - even got a sweat on after an hour.
In truth, when wearing a wet suit dry they can eventually get a bit 'scratchy' on the skin, but I think a lighter, looser fitting wetsuit would be ideal on a boat for times when exposure might present a problem. Would also be multi-use.

I can just imagine the reaction on foreign soil if you were spotted snorkelling around in an SBS dry suit ...

Colin

Noddy

Visit site
A friend of mine told me that he used to wear women's pantyhose under his clothes in the Falklands. Nice and warm.

I would like to point out that it was a friend of mine and not me - I do not wear women's clothes.... OK?

PS: he is also working on an inflatable bra to ensure the air is in the right place. A nice wig would keep the heat in and some nice red sunscreen would protect the lips.

Paul...ine

CPD

Visit site
Paul,

It's okay, you are amongst friends on here /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gargleblaster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I do not wear women's clothes

[/ QUOTE ]
I do. I have several pairs of my spouses cast off woollen tights that I wear when it is particularly cold. I wear a normal thermal singlet but find that thermal longjohns tend to fall down around the hips and end up on my thighs which is uncomfortable, usually taking my underpants with them. Women's tights stay up nicely and are very warm. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Noddy

Visit site
As a plastic multihull sailor I am often confused by talk of Garboard Strakes and Futtock Thribleys. But I honestly don't know what a 'singlet' is?

G

[ QUOTE ]
As a plastic multihull sailor I am often confused by talk of Garboard Strakes and Futtock Thribleys. But I honestly don't know what a 'singlet' is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a singlet is a bloke who gets the elbow from his girl-friend after being caught wearing her underwear ....

For some inexplicable reason wearing women's clothes has never appealed to me. But in contrast, a woman wearing only a bloke's pyjama top or his shirt (preferably soaking wet) is particularly appealing. Go figure.

Thermal underwear. Tried it a few times - ok when you're constantly in cold conditions, but if you're moving back and forth from an exposed position to shelter and warmth it can become a pain in the butt. And once you start sweating it loses much of it's thermal value (and appeal).

However, wearing extra layers on the outside which can be readily discarded I find to be a winner. With Tesco selling jeans at £3 a pop, it's no hassle buying some one size larger and wearing 2 pairs together. Ever-so-slightly more restrictive, and stuff in pockets tends to end up where you can't find it, but otherwise it works. Likewise 2 shirts, 2 sweaters, 2 fleeces etc.

Colin

Saddletramp

Visit site
Sailing on sat I reminded me that I was going to invest in a 'wooly bear'. A one piece fleece suit worn by divers under dry suits. It should stop that annoying cold bit in the middle that you get when bending around.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
-----------
I have been sailing for 55 years in all types of boats in all the oceans and seas in the world and have never gone overboard no do I intend to
-----------
Is it extract from an Eric Tabarly book ?
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Rather than single piece, I prefer the "salopette" (a trouser that goes up to the underarms with straps to hold them ) in polar stuff with a polar jacket under and above. It gives you three layers at that specific sensitive part of the body.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
--------
Only problem is when you want to go for a pee when you need to have practiced a bit of yoga to save taking the suit off, but it can be done.
--------
The Cotten TPS has a "pee hose" that can be made waterprof!!!
It works rather well for men but I have no experience for women, I'm afraid !
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gargleblaster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it may be an ancient term that shouldn't be used on plastic multihulls. I notice in Mike Conefrey's book 'A Teacup in a Storm', published by Harper Collins in 2005 that Ernest Shackleton in his 1908 attempt on the South Pole took Woollen Singlets, whereas in 1953 Edmund Hillary preferred a String Vest. Or was the difference that Shackleton's background was naval whereas Hillary was off the land.
Shackleton also favoured wearing 'Finnesko' which is something I had not come across before. But then Shackleton may have been a 'Chav' as he also favoured Burberry overalls.