Oops

johnalison

Visit site
The RAF have mislaid a bomb from the last conflict. It's only 12,000lb but might make a bit of a mess if it goes off. They've just found it in Swinoujscie, which I know quite well. I have sailed over it a couple of times and cycled past a few times too, using the ferry and bridge near the centre of the circle. Luckily, it is a little out of town near Karsibor, where there is a memorial to a crashed Lancaster in the woods. Let's hope that it goes OK.
'World first': Polish navy bid to defuse one of WWII's largest bombs
EkGh7JfWAAEmpdK.jpg

Stork_III

Visit site
All the divers were unharmed....where were they diving then?
_114892911_mediaitem114887391.jpg

Staying well away from this.

_114873831_mediaitem114873830.jpg

Norman_E

Visit site
Was that really a full explosion of about 5 tons of HE? I don't think so. I think that was in fact just a deflagration, as I would expect an explosion that size to produce a mushroom cloud.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Was that really a full explosion of about 5 tons of HE? I don't think so. I think that was in fact just a deflagration, as I would expect an explosion that size to produce a mushroom cloud.
According to news reports, they were trying for a steady deflagration but got a detonation instead. This video seems to show a much smaller explosion (or series of much smaller explosions). Anyone here understand Polish? Google translate says the title means "The "Tallboy" bomb neutralization operation is in progress" so perhaps they were trying to blow up the detonator mechanism?

johnalison

Visit site
It certainly looks like several explosions, with the largest first.

In the film in #12 there is a WW2 submarine pen to the left of the canal. Nowadays it is quiet except for the odd angler. The whole area is geographically interesting because it is a reverse delta, caused by water flowing sometimes in from the Baltic. The river and canal run south to a lake, or bodden, and up to Stettin and carries regular shipping, and the odd yacht.

'08 (269) copy.jpg