Online shopping for boat products

miha90

www.vesselpal.com
Since Brexit I get most of my stuff from svb24 due to my boat beeing in France. Prices seem reasonable and they stock basically everything. What I do miss are simple service kits for engines. Preferably OEM aftermarket parts for an assortment of engines. I actually try to avoid local ship chandlers as their prices usually don't compare to online ships. As is normal. I wouldn't mind ordering anything I needed online and I love the idea of a boating gear shopping guide.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Since Brexit I get most of my stuff from svb24 due to my boat beeing in France. Prices seem reasonable and they stock basically everything. What I do miss are simple service kits for engines. Preferably OEM aftermarket parts for an assortment of engines. I actually try to avoid local ship chandlers as their prices usually don't compare to online ships. As is normal. I wouldn't mind ordering anything I needed online and I love the idea of a boating gear shopping guide.
Since Brexit I hardly buy anything on line. In Ireland we used to be able to avail of free UK delivery by using an accomodation address service provided by our main delivery locker company, Parcel Motel, or by using a service provided by the Irish postal service, An Post, for a small fee. These services no longer exist, and stuff bought from Germany, France etc., have higher postal charges, plus, if any item shipped originates outsite the EU, it attracts Customs charges, which did not happen to items shipped from Britain in former times, before that country's massive act of self-harm and the resulting collateral damage.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
In general, not only boaty, to me it is plain Business Case, factoring in tangible and intangible assets.

Will always check online for price averages; like to support local pushers (if not too far away from the competition); availability and delivery time might drive decision. May well identify the ultimate bargain but place the order with whom I feel deserve it.

Online checking also used to eliminate suppliers not worthy of my business. Approachability, professionalism and knowledge/support are major when buying high value items.

I actually support the principle of suppliers earning money, but I don't want them earn all of it from me. And I despise those who are in the business to piggyback others in aim to make money without effort (e.g. click baits, search portals, influencers pointing to (Amazon) marketplaces et al. As an example, every time I find a hotel on hotels.com (or the likes) I contact the hotel directly to check if they'd rather book it outside the portal .

Last edited:

DangerousPirate

Visit site
I prefer to buy online, though. See - better prices, better selection, and you can research for the exact gear you want. You have all the time in the world, and can do it conveniently from your couch or even from the cockpit haha.

Like any shop, chandleries are limited in stock and mostly charge higher prices to make a margin, and the people behind the counter may know a thing or two, but they can't know everything either.

I only shop food locally really, and clothes for the most part. And only go to chandleries if it is urgent or I need someone to look at something. For example I had these light bulbs from the 70s or something on my boat, I wouldn't know where to find them, what they're called or what to replace them with really. But I walked into a chandlery and they could tell me right away. So there is that. It's not all bad. But I still think the cons outweigh the pros. I just like to find EXACTLY what I want, and not just SOMETHING LIKE it, for a better price, too.

mrangry

Visit site
I am looking at some items they currently have reduced just now, but unsure on what additional costs/taxes are due now that we are no longer part of the EU. Has anyone in UK made recent purchase?

onesea

Visit site
I try not to buy anything online. I like to support the local chandlers. If they don't have it in stock, they can always order it for me.

I have all but given up on local chandeliers they stock and sell what they want, I often find advice is not good. Easier, cheaper and quicker to find what you want online and order than have to explain why you want a particular item and what it’s for them to find something that is not what you want.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I'm buying almost all sailing stuff online now. I'm 100 miles + to the nearest chandlery.
I'm retired, so no longer get to travel to Southampton, Plymouth, Glasgow, London, where I could detour to a chandlery.
I'm also buying stuff from Germany, because uk suppiers are "out of stock", often quoting weeks delivery. The latest is a Jabso shower drain pump, out of stock everywhere I tried in the UK. Ex stock Germany, dispatched the same day, under the £135 customs/vat threshold. Just 19% German Vat to pay.
Now installed and working.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Hi all,
You may or may not have noticed that we've started doing a lot of online shopping guides over at: Boating gear
We'd love to get your feedback on these so we can make them as good as possible.
What kinds of boat products would you consider buying online?
What would you never buy without touching / feeling / testing them first?
Is there are maximum price at which buying online would make you uncomfortable?
And which sites do you trust for buying boat products online?
Thanks,
-Chris
Jimmy Green Marine and ASAP supplies did me for everything before Brexit. Hudson Marine (I think) for electronics - had to change a chart plotter). Now SVB (German) are the go to.

colind3782

Visit site
I wonder how much volume the UK online chandlers, ASAP, Force 4 et al, have lost by not being able to realistically export to the EU? It must be hurting and SVB have certainly picked up the ball and run with it.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I wonder how much volume the UK online chandlers, ASAP, Force 4 et al, have lost by not being able to realistically export to the EU? It must be hurting and SVB have certainly picked up the ball and run with it.
I have saved a fortune by not being able to use Jimmy Green! ASAP were amazing! All they have to do is open a depot in Ireland and send from UK to Ireland then on to wherever they want in Europe.

SaltySailor

Visit site
I shop online over bricks and motor for most things. I know, i know, its not good to not support local businesses, but to be honest unless they are selling a handmade wooden table or vase from a local skilled professional, then they are just stocking things you can buy online... and let's be honest who really likes traipsing around the shops for hours when you can just have a quick search online and find more info about a product in a fraction of the time! There's also more choice online, and especially for sailing, you can find niche products that a chandlery won't stock because they don't sell enough!

colind3782

Visit site
I shop online over bricks and motor for most things. I know, i know, its not good to not support local businesses, but to be honest unless they are selling a handmade wooden table or vase from a local skilled professional, then they are just stocking things you can buy online... and let's be honest who really likes traipsing around the shops for hours when you can just have a quick search online and find more info about a product in a fraction of the time! There's also more choice online, and especially for sailing, you can find niche products that a chandlery won't stock because they don't sell enough!
I am in the biggest (?) marina in Europe with three large chandlers close by and, invariably, when I want something, it's "we can order that for you". I can do that myself for less than half the price!

Daydream believer

Visit site
It takes too long to read this thread but I would like to say that I always try to support the local shops, High street etc where sensible. Now & then I need something quick & if I do not support them I cannot complain if all the high street has is banks & building societies. For instance we have an excellent ironmongers in Maldon, so I go there before I go to Wicks. There are other High street shops that I support, if possible. The Rc model shop comes to mind. I like to think that they will be there with their expertise when I need it. I would not buy major clothing online, if poss. That is one time I might go to a boat show, But not often. My last lot of Musto gear was purchased in Middleburgh as the chandler had such a good selection. That was partly due to a wet channel crossing driving me to buy something urgently.

For electronics Mantsprite in Maldon is second to none. I am known by name & feel welcome when I walk in the shop. Always spend a short while just chatting "boats". That beats online every time in my view. They will always negotiate a good price & their support is excellent.

In Maldon we have a chandlers. Unfortunately they do not give the same atmosphere as the one that used to be in Burnham. But I still use them. Mailspeed in Burnham stocks very little, being an online base. However, they will negotiate & one can discuss, due to being very knowledgeable. That is an important plus in my view.

So yes, I use online, but for tools etc. we have a fantastic tool shop on the Dengie & whenever I want something for the boat, that is the place to go.

Unfortunately chandlers do not normally have up to date charts. Recently I purchased 300 euros worth of NV charts etc from Holland. They were sent the day they were officially published & service was second to none. UK supplier could not match that I am afraid. I actually prefer their folios to the Imray ones.

Last edited:

Frankklose

Visit site
Used to buy online from Britain, but since Brexit, shipping charges above 20 pounds...plus a few weeks later get another invoice from the shipping company for VAT plus 3 Euro´s handling charge. No shipping over night, it take a week to arrive.....now have to buy parts in Bulgaria .....loved to buy from parts4engines.....now I buy parts from Poseidon in Sofia (shipping 6 Euro and 3 day´s delivery).....would rather buy in Britain

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Used to buy online from Britain, but since Brexit, shipping charges above 20 pounds...plus a few weeks later get another invoice from the shipping company for VAT plus 3 Euro´s handling charge. No shipping over night, it take a week to arrive.....now have to buy parts in Bulgaria .....loved to buy from parts4engines.....now I buy parts from Poseidon in Sofia (shipping 6 Euro and 3 day´s delivery).....would rather buy in Britain
As you must know, SVB in Bremen is popular - happy to ship everywhere.